VTP Pruning

Technology1Technology1 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Prevents unnecessary flooding of broadcast information from one VLAN across all trunk links in a VTP domain and improves overall network performance. Bandwidth is freed up for other network traffic by reducing the total amount of flooded traffic on a network.

VTP pruning is disabled by default and needs to be enabled using the VTP pruning global configuration command.

VTP pruning needs to be enabled on only one VTP server switch in the domain.

Extended VLANS (1006 - 4094) are not supported by VTP version 1 and 2.

VTP version 3 supports extended VLANS (1006 - 4094)

Any other ideas about this topic are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
  • Technology1Technology1 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ask a CCNP to explain it. That's the best I can do. I personally find it somewhat complex when the term VTP Pruning is discussed. Lots of complex topics in CISCO. I guess it's not supposed to be easy but it sure is quite interesting.
    seekrit wrote: »
    Wait. What?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What part are you not understanding? Asking a more specific question will probably get you more feedback.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Yeah, I'm kinda confused too about the original post but VTP pruning is a simple concept. (disclaimer, I'm not a CCNP..lol)

By default, a trunk port forwards multicast/broadcast for every VLAN it knows about. Pruning is the process of the switch only sending VLAN broadcast and multicast if the remote switch has ports belonging to that VLAN. (i.e., 2 switches are connected. Switch A has members on vlan 130-145 and Switch B has vlans 140-155. The switches will only send broadcast/multicast for vlans 140-145 to each other).

As usual, I might be wrong but this is how I understood VTP pruning.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Technology1Technology1 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you look at some of the Cisco books, this topic goes into detail deep.

There's a lot more involved with it than what I just posted.

jahsoul wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm kinda confused too about the original post but VTP pruning is a simple concept. (disclaimer, I'm not a CCNP..lol)

By default, a trunk port forwards multicast/broadcast for every VLAN it knows about. Pruning is the process of the switch only sending VLAN broadcast and multicast if the remote switch has ports belonging to that VLAN. (i.e., 2 switches are connected. Switch A has members on vlan 130-145 and Switch B has vlans 140-155. The switches will only send broadcast/multicast for vlans 140-145 to each other).

As usual, I might be wrong but this is how I understood VTP pruning.
  • AkiiiAkiii Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Switches are advertising wich vlans are active to their neighbour switches. Neighbouring switches will just prune the vlans wich are not active on the other side of the trunk. This is how it goes, it saves bandwidth and thats all, I don't think that you can or have to go deeper than this.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Akiii wrote: »
    Switches are advertising wich vlans are active to their neighbour switches. Neighbouring switches will just prune the vlans wich are not active on the other side of the trunk. This is how it goes, it saves bandwidth and thats all, I don't think that you can or have to go deeper than this.

Agreed. With what I have studied in the professional level of switching pruning has only really been involved in limiting what vlan's get sent across trunks.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.