are host tables and dns on the CCENT?

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
I notice the host name/tables and dns server commands are not in the Cisco book but the Sybex CCENT book has them. Are they on the test?

Also I have a question about them,

When you create a host table on a router can that router be used as the dns server for the network? to resolve the host names on other routers or switches? The sybex book did not explain if that is the case but just how to setup the DNS command on a device?

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    It wasn't on the topics list for the exam I took.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From the ICND1 exam blueprint
    Describe and verify DNS operation
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router.(including: CLI/SDM)
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Well crap, I didn't remember reading that...
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Again I find the Cisco book to be less than adequate... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
    Ok so now about my question, if you configure host tables on a router can that router act as the dns server?

You can configure the DNS server to use on a device but how would that DNS server learn the hosts?

this is not gone over in the book just how to configure the DNS server ip to use.
  • mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
    ok the book talks abut using a DNS server so you do not have to type in the host tables on every device but it does not say weather a router with a host table can act as a DNS sever? that is what I am asking?
    mark076h wrote: »
    ok the book talks abut using a DNS server so you do not have to type in the host tables on every device but it does not say weather a router with a host table can act as a DNS sever? that is what I am asking?
    That link I posted shows the configuration of a router as a DNS Server and two example debugs -- one where jthe router is relaying the DNS Query to another name server and one where it is servicing a DNS query from the local host table.

So yes, the router can be configured to act as a DNS server using local host entries.