Computer Science

needhelpmanneedhelpman Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
What is the best paying job with a bachelor's in computer science
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES
ALL THE WAY

Comments

• /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    That's impossible to answer.

There are so many jobs you could get, with so many companies. The amount of time you spend with a company matters, the quality of your work matters, your location matters. There are just so many relative factors that make your question impossible to answer accurately.

Maybe if you narrowed it down a little...what do YOU consider a "good" job?
    Any certain job duties? Pay range? Location?
  • needhelpmanneedhelpman Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A pay range of at least 40,000
    THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES
    ALL THE WAY
  • bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    Even if you're just looking at programming jobs (which is what a CompSci degree is for), you still have an endless number of options. You know what type of programming you'd like more than anyone else on here. Just look at job listings and see if anything stands out.
  • Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    No one can say how much you will make. I have 2 friends with CS and they make $50,000 a year. My other freind has an Associates in CS and started his own company and is making $125,000 a year after expenses.

Its hard to say, their are many good paying jobs out their, from what i have personally seen, the higher paying jobs have been in very small offices and not large companies.

Its not what you do its who you know :)
  • forged_by_hatredforged_by_hatred Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In todays tough IT job market a computer science degree alone won't command a high salary. Combined with experience however, and perhaps some 'real world' certifications then you may stand out from the hoardes of other candidates.

I start my BSc in Comp Sci this year having worked in IT for 8 years.
    I'm not expecting it to change my life or my salary drastically but it will stand me in good stead for the future when applying for more senior positions.
    The principle goal of education is to create men who are capable of doing new things, not simply of repeating what other generations have done - men who are creative, inventive and discoverers --- Jean Piaget
  • jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even if you're just looking at programming jobs (which is what a CompSci degree is for)

Actually, programming is only one aspect of computer science. Software engineering degrees, on the other hand, revolve around all aspects of programming.
    the higher paying jobs have been in very small offices and not large companies

I disagree. Most small companies can't afford to pay as much as large companies. Most large companies offer better benefits and salaries than their smaller counterparts. However, I'm sure there are some exceptions.
    What is the best paying job with a bachelor's in computer science

The average starting salaries for new graduates from my alma mater with a BS in computer science is $45,000 according to the school of Engineering and Applied Science. The highest paying jobs were in the $60k range, while the lowest paying jobs were in the $30k range.
  • bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    jaeusm wrote:
    Even if you're just looking at programming jobs (which is what a CompSci degree is for)

Actually, programming is only one aspect of computer science. Software engineering degrees, on the other hand, revolve around all aspects of programming.

You're splitting hairs. I am a computer science major and am perfectly aware of the different areas of study. In general, computer science deals with the study of algorithms and programming. It's an umbrella term that covers a lot of different areas, but I don't know of any that don't involve programming, algorithms or some form of logic/math.
  • jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're splitting hairs. I am a computer science major and am perfectly aware of the different areas of study. In general, computer science deals with the study of algorithms and programming. It's an umbrella term that covers a lot of different areas, but I don't know of any that don't involve programming, algorithms or some form of logic/math.

I only said that programming is an aspect of CS. I have a master's degree in computer science, and I agree that programming and algorithms are a big part of it. However, so is networking and computer architecture (my two favorite areas), depending on your curriculum.