Host a website

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Is it possible to host your own website on my public IP from Virgin, nothing too big like BnQ.com just a few pages offering support and maybe even PC's

Am I right in thinking If my IP lease is renewed to the same IP then my site will stay up

Thanks

Comments

• deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    Sure you can as long as you've got a static ip, chances are you haven't tho icon_sad.gif
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    deth1k wrote: »
    Sure you can as long as you've got a static ip, chances are you haven't tho icon_sad.gif

Or Dynamic DNS.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

I might sound dumb here but am guessing you need a static IP because it does not change, suppose my leased IP from Virgin is never going to change and it just keeps getting renewed

Any idea what hosting costs are in UK

Thanks
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    You can host a website there no problem. Someone mentioned Dynamic DNS, which is probably the best way. This service monitors your external Public IP and if it changes, updates the DNS servers accordingly.

I use a free host, have been for 7 years. Whenever my IP changes i just go and manually update it in the free host's admin pages for the forward and it works fine. Over 7 years I have moved once, so a change in ISP made me update the IP, and then we lost power here after a wind storm for like 4 days. My lease happened to expire during that time and my equipment wasn't on the renew so i had to update it manually then too. Twice in 7 years? Not a big deal in my book. You can host a site on a home ISP with VERY little trouble.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a static IP with bethere and port forwarding enabled on the router.

My DNS records for my domains points to my static IP where I have a little tiny fedora box with Apache/mysql and php installed. Works well.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    You can host a website there no problem. Someone mentioned Dynamic DNS, which is probably the best way. This service monitors your external Public IP and if it changes, updates the DNS servers accordingly.

I use a free host, have been for 7 years. Whenever my IP changes i just go and manually update it in the free host's admin pages for the forward and it works fine. Over 7 years I have moved once, so a change in ISP made me update the IP, and then we lost power here after a wind storm for like 4 days. My lease happened to expire during that time and my equipment wasn't on the renew so i had to update it manually then too. Twice in 7 years? Not a big deal in my book. You can host a site on a home ISP with VERY little trouble.

Hook me up with a link to your ******** please

Thanks
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503

My IP has changed about 3 times this week, unfortunately not all ISPs were created equal icon_sad.gif
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You are in the UK but it may not make a difference. In the U.S. I use No-IP.com They have several free dyn DNS options and full service registar options for dynamic DNS, mail etc. I have used them for 4 years with no complaints on windows systems. A tray app with a bunch of options including run as a service is all you need after you register with them. It seems to update every 10 mins as a default but there is a scheduler option.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    According to the AUP, you can host any servers you want on domestic Virgin Media so long as its not for commercial purposes, it isn't harmful to other users or the general internet and it doesn't contain any illegal or offensive content.

Your upload speed is severely limited however so don't host anything big and if you've got more than 1-2 people looking at your site then it will start to get painfully slow. You need the business packages to get a faster or a symmetric connection. You're still sharing this connection so your own internet access may be adversely affected depending on usage patterns.
    tiersten wrote: »
    According to the AUP, you can host any servers you want on domestic Virgin Media so long as its not for commercial purposes

Would buying a domain and offering computer support plus picture and description of several PC's constitute commercial purposes, example main page split into 2, top half list of what support I offer bottom half displaying 3 images once clicked goes to a page with more detail

So 4 web pages in total, would my upload rate be ample, currently on 10Mb
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Lee H wrote: »
    Would buying a domain and offering computer support plus picture and description of several PC's constitute commercial purposes, example main page split into 2, top half list of what support I offer bottom half displaying 3 images once clicked goes to a page with more detail
    It'd be commercial yes so against the AUP and Virgin could cancel your contract if they ever found out. Whether they would find out and whether they would care about a small site like that is another matter. Your connection so your decision at the end of the day.
    Lee H wrote: »
    So 4 web pages in total, would my upload rate be ample, currently on 10Mb
    The 10Mb download packages will have 1Mbps upload which is 128KB/s shared between everybody in your house and whoever is looking at your website. If you only have a small number of people looking at your website at any one time along with limited usage at that time by your house then it'd be fine. If you regularly use P2P software like BitTorrent then you're going to have issues.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use to hose my blog on my home IP, and never had any issues, only had about 15 to 20 real visits a day, browsing a few pages, and that was on a 2 meg down, 512k upload.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unless you host something that gets you hit by slash dot, wired, or fark what you are talking about is not a real problem for your speed. Sites still run just fine at T1/E1 speeds and your up is 2/3rd of a T1 but without an SLA. If speed becomes a problem you can always **** a little and relocate the pictures to one of the free picture hosting sites. The scripts and css are minimal traffic unless someone is running with browser caching off.

You might have some initial problems after you go live with jerk probes to see what you are about and is a hack worth the effort. You will also have to put up with search engine crawling off hours in your time zone, Google, yahoo, bing, way-back machines etc. That will probably start about two weeks in and happen every few days unless you configure a no crawl file that some will ignore anyway.

In any case you will know when you try. If it is not to your liking, there are plenty of cheap hosting companies wanting to make a few bucks off of you. Just make sure they offer traffic transfer limiter options so you do not get a surprise.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO