Where can I take the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V4.1] (affordable)

whatUPwithThatwhatUPwithThat Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is there a way to get this 5 day class discounted? The cheapest I can find it is for $3495.00. I work for a non profit and cannot allocate that kind of money for a course.

Anyway to get coupons, vouchers, for VMWare classes?

Thanks!

Comments

• lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is there a way to get this 5 day class discounted? The cheapest I can find it is for $3495.00. I work for a non profit and cannot allocate that kind of money for a course.

Thanks!
    I second that, $2500 required to take the cert? crazy.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The cheapest option you'll find short of being fortunate enough to have an employer cover the expense, is to see if there are any schools near you whom participate in the VMware IT Academy program.

I'm in the program now, for the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage course - presently going on week 3. I believe schools can design it differently so long as it adheres to VMware's guidelines, but from a handful I have found it's typically more of a college classroom based experience rather than a meet for a handful of day's all day type thing. My course will end up meeting 16 times, one day a week for ~4 hours a day in the evening. Overall it's going to take me a lot longer to finally meet the requirements to sit the exam but I'll have invested about $500 total for the class.

The only thing that's kind of a turn off for me with this approach, is because it's run like a college course, my particular class has a group project requirement to design a series of video's and a presentation whereas I'd more prefer just doing the lab's and learning this way.

Here's the link to the VMware IT Academy website, you can view participating schools in the participants tab:

Academy Program
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The cheapest option you'll find short of being fortunate enough to have an employer cover the expense, is to see if there are any schools near you whom participate in the VMware IT Academy program.

I'm in the program now, for the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage course - presently going on week 3. I believe schools can design it differently so long as it adheres to VMware's guidelines, but from a handful I have found it's typically more of a college classroom based experience rather than a meet for a handful of day's all day type thing. My course will end up meeting 16 times, one day a week for ~4 hours a day in the evening. Overall it's going to take me a lot longer to finally meet the requirements to sit the exam but I'll have invested about $500 total for the class.

The only thing that's kind of a turn off for me with this approach, is because it's run like a college course, my particular class has a group project requirement to design a series of video's and a presentation whereas I'd more prefer just doing the lab's and learning this way.

Here's the link to the VMware IT Academy website, you can view participating schools in the participants tab:

Academy Program
    Good info. One thing to add is that for passing the course, you get a voucher good for 70% off the VCP410 exam (so $52 versus $175). I was lucky, the community college where I took it was on the quarter system, so only 10 meetings, and the tuition and books came to about $200.

Lastly, I believe you're right about the classes varying somewhat. My class pretty much followed the lab manual, and the only college-like extras were a midterm and final. There's also an online-only option at UCSC Extension.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I'm taking the course through UC Santa Cruz Extension which is a online course. I'm signed up for the one starting in April. Only a couple Community Colleges around here offer the course. I think the Academy also helps them get the software. The local ones didn't do it, one of them did it but spaced out the course, the other one that did it runs them as whole weeks sessions, and you have to attend two to attend so between the $500 for each week, hotel, vacation time, etc. The Santa Cruz option was cheaper.

22869 VMware vSPHERE 4: Configuration and Management | UC Santa Cruz Extension
  • brewoz40brewoz40 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone taken the class from UC Santa Cruz? My work is willing to pay for it so I figure what the hell. Just hoping to get some peoples opinions on the class if it was worth it and well designed, etc....Thanks.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    brewoz40 wrote: »
    Has anyone taken the class from UC Santa Cruz? My work is willing to pay for it so I figure what the hell. Just hoping to get some peoples opinions on the class if it was worth it and well designed, etc....Thanks.

It's going to be just as well designed in terms of study material provided as well as lab's you'll end up doing. They all follow the official VMware courseware, there may be additional assignments from school to school but the IT Academy partners are required to follow VMware's guidelines when administering the program and as such are required to used VMware's official courseware.

What to look for opinions on I suppose would be the quality of the instructor and their availability if you need their assistance. In addition it might be worth knowing if the remote lab access works well.
  • OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    brewoz40 wrote: »

I'm in it right now.

So far so good. The instructor is easy to get a hold of. The material is easy to access. They seem to be thinking of changing it to a 5 week format with smaller class sizes in the future, just as a heads up. I don't believe they've made a decision on that yet.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does the UC Santa Cruz program count for the VCP cert?
    Yes, it does. That is the main reason to take it.
    MentholMoose
  • ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Looks great, but how exactly does it work? How do they verify your attendance? Do you have to sign on at specific times of the day? How many hours per day are you expected to spend on it?
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
    Zentraedi wrote: »
    Looks great, but how exactly does it work? How do they verify your attendance? Do you have to sign on at specific times of the day? How many hours per day are you expected to spend on it?
    I believe there are assignments that you have to complete, and lectures you have to watch. I don't think you have to log in at specific times since that would eliminate a major benefit of the online format. Several forum members have taken the UCSC course so hopefully they can chime in.
    MentholMoose
    I believe there are assignments that you have to complete, and lectures you have to watch. I don't think you have to log in at specific times since that would eliminate a major benefit of the online format. Several forum members have taken the UCSC course so hopefully they can chime in.

Well, that sounds good because otherwise I'd have to use up all my vacation time, which I won't get more of till the end of the year. That's one reason the week long classes don't work for me.

I was worried that it might be something similar to the official VM online sessions, which appear to require specific times on consecutive days for a whole week free. Looks like the US central 0900-1700 webcasts are outside my work schedule, but I just don't think I could do 8 hours of online coursework plus 8 hours of work, plus 3 hours of total commute time for a whole week. icon_cry.gif
    Current Study Track
    Well, that sounds good because otherwise I'd have to use up all my vacation time, which I won't get more of till the end of the year. That's one reason the week long classes don't work for me.

I was worried that it might be something similar to the official VM online sessions, which appear to require specific times on consecutive days for a whole week free. Looks like the US central 0900-1700 webcasts are outside my work schedule, but I just don't think I could do 8 hours of online coursework plus 8 hours of work, plus 3 hours of total commute time for a whole week. icon_cry.gif
    You don't have to worry about that for the UCSC course, or other courses offered through the VMware Academy Program. The courses are supposed to be delivered like any college course, which precludes anything resembling a boot camp. Participants in the Academy program are actually specifically disallowed from requiring more than a certain number of hours per week (I think 4) for the courses they offer.

If you need more details about the UCSC course, try contacting them. If you can't get in touch with anyone, PM me and I'll give you the instructor's contact info.
    MentholMoose
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308

You do the homeworks at your own pace. Its just another online course where you log in and watch pre-recorded session at any time you want. As per VMware IT Academy policy if vITA participant (college) collects screenshots/ homeworks from students, then student is eligible to sit for a VMware exam and qualifies for a discounted VCP voucher.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□

Thanks!

I would keep an eye on this site. If the class isn't full 14days before it starts they list it here for 30% off.

VMware Education Services - Special Offers
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow! This is awsome. Nice find MentholMoose. icon_thumright.gif I never knew UCSC had this, and I live down the street from the University.
    You don't have to worry about that for the UCSC course, or other courses offered through the VMware Academy Program. The courses are supposed to be delivered like any college course, which precludes anything resembling a boot camp. Participants in the Academy program are actually specifically disallowed from requiring more than a certain number of hours per week (I think 4) for the courses they offer.

If you need more details about the UCSC course, try contacting them. If you can't get in touch with anyone, PM me and I'll give you the instructor's contact info.
    JBrown wrote: »
    You do the homeworks at your own pace. Its just another online course where you log in and watch pre-recorded session at any time you want. As per VMware IT Academy policy if vITA participant (college) collects screenshots/ homeworks from students, then student is eligible to sit for a VMware exam and qualifies for a discounted VCP voucher.

Thanks for the info guys! icon_thumright.gif

Wow, now I'm really interested in this online course. Few questions though...

I've already got a few VMware books, so would I need to take time before the class starts and read through my VCP4 prep books w/ labs?

Also, I'm not sure when to take it. I'd really like to get this cert down since it'll allow me to get ahead at work. The only problem is that if I take it next quarter, I'll have to put the final exam of my MCITP:EA on hold (647). Not sure which to do first. The EA would get me a whole month bonus, however while the VCP has no associated bonus, it would put me on a faster track to move up. Any advice?
    Current Study Track
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    How deep are you into studying the last exam? You'll have to get deep into VMware for the VCP so if you're close to finishing that last EA exam I would finish it out strong and then head into VMware with no other worries about finishing anything else. Plenty of time.
    QHalo wrote: »
    How deep are you into studying the last exam? You'll have to get deep into VMware for the VCP so if you're close to finishing that last EA exam I would finish it out strong and then head into VMware with no other worries about finishing anything else. Plenty of time.

I haven't actually started on last exam but should be ready for the second to last (70-643) pretty soon. To be honest, I don't want to rush the 70-647(last exam) and wanted to do a very thorough prep for that.
    Current Study Track
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Thanks for the info guys! icon_thumright.gif

Wow, now I'm really interested in this online course. Few questions though...

I've already got a few VMware books, so would I need to take time before the class starts and read through my VCP4 prep books w/ labs?

Also, I'm not sure when to take it. I'd really like to get this cert down since it'll allow me to get ahead at work. The only problem is that if I take it next quarter, I'll have to put the final exam of my MCITP:EA on hold (647). Not sure which to do first. The EA would get me a whole month bonus, however while the VCP has no associated bonus, it would put me on a faster track to move up. Any advice?

I would highly recommend to contact the college first, they might have their own policies. Regarding the book, they will provide you with the official VMware course training materials, its cost about $50-60 and that is the primary book/lab that you must use for duration of the course. Every other book can be used as a supplemental material. So contact the at least a month or two before to find out exact setup and requirements.

I would personally finish the MCITP first and then move to VCP. VCP has much more materials than 3 MS certificates bundled together, and its mostly manuals, manuals and more manuals. :)
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I haven't actually started on last exam but should be ready for the second to last (70-643) pretty soon. To be honest, I don't want to rush the 70-647(last exam) and wanted to do a very thorough prep for that.

I would finish the EA. That way there are no distractions and a good win and weight off your chest for completing something you've been spending some time on. Finishing strong has always been a good motivator in my opinion.
    I would highly recommend to contact the college first, they might have their own policies. Regarding the book, they will provide you with the official VMware course training materials, its cost about $50-60 and that is the primary book/lab that you must use for duration of the course. Every other book can be used as a supplemental material. So contact the at least a month or two before to find out exact setup and requirements.

Yeah, I'll be sure to do that! Anyway, I guess my point was really whether people think it's okay to start classes with a blank slate or whether I need to make sure I'm familiar with the material first. A good example is like with bootcamps. From what I hear, most people make sure to review the books before attending those. Is the class going to be like that or more learn as you go?
    I would personally finish the MCITP first and then move to VCP. VCP has much more materials than 3 MS certificates bundled together, and its mostly manuals, manuals and more manuals. :)

Well, if that's the case then yeah I'll finish up the EA cert first. Funny though because I could have sworn I saw a post saying they completed VCP4 within a month, so I was under the impression it wasn't too broad.
    QHalo wrote: »
    I would finish the EA. That way there are no distractions and a good win and weight off your chest for completing something you've been spending some time on. Finishing strong has always been a good motivator in my opinion.

I guess that would probably be best. I've sort of a bad habit with that type thing--too many half finished things at once.

I'll probably be better off doing things serially. I remember when I was doing other certs, I did so much better reading one book and then moving on the next as opposed to one chapter from each book per day.
    Current Study Track
  • DoS9DoS9 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had stumbled onto this by accident but now it is something I ask about. Maybe it might work for someone else.

I was sitting a Cisco Exam and the person setting me up says, "Hey you interested in VMWare? We are running a class in a few weeks." I told them yes but the cost was too high for me (actually my employer). The said they might be able to help with that.

Cutting to the details here:

An ISP company was sending 5 of it's techs to the ICM class through this place. They were basically making their money so they gave me a discount (testing center was also a training center, they ate the discount not VMWare). Class was awesome. Sat my test some time later, passed, employer reimbursed, VCP!

I was kinda the odd man at the class, but I got to meet some cool people who weren't tired of hearing my tech stories too! Bonus.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    OoteR wrote: »
    I'm in it right now.

So far so good. The instructor is easy to get a hold of. The material is easy to access. They seem to be thinking of changing it to a 5 week format with smaller class sizes in the future, just as a heads up. I don't believe they've made a decision on that yet.
    Like the few other gents here, I'm curious whether the course is self-paced - i.e. if there are any particular days/times when students are expected to be online, any ongoing assignments, quizes, etc...

Could OoteR or someone else who had taken this UCSC class share their knowledge on this matter, plz?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    Like the few other gents here, I'm curious whether the course is self-paced - i.e. if there are any particular days/times when students are expected to be online, any ongoing assignments, quizes, etc...

Could OoteR or someone else who had taken this UCSC class share their knowledge on this matter, plz?
    It says in the course description that it is self-paced.
    22869 VMware vSPHERE: Configuration and Management [V4.1] | UC Santa Cruz Extension
    This online course is based on lecture recording with synchronized audio and presentation materials. The instructor provides additional reading materials and assignments online.
    This course is offered as a self-paced study with instructor support through discussion forum and email. Complete the material at your own pace. Interact with your instructor throughout the course. For this section, enrollments are accepted through April 25. All course-related work must be completed by 11:59 pm on June 27.
    MentholMoose
    It says in the course description that it is self-paced.
    22869 VMware vSPHERE: Configuration and Management [V4.1] | UC Santa Cruz Extension
    Right, but there are different definitions of self-pace, with some online courses requiring you to have weekly participation, submit weekly assignments, etc...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    Well you can register for the course until several weeks after it's started, so at least for that period there cannot be mandatory participation or assignments. I'll reach out to the professor to see if I can get some clarification.
    MentholMoose
    Well you can register for the course until several weeks after it's started, so at least for that period there cannot be mandatory participation or assignments. I'll reach out to the professor to see if I can get some clarification.
    Thanks MentholMoose :)

Asking because I'm planning to take the course in April-July, and wondering whether I can squeeze some vacation-travel time in :)

GetCertified4Less
  • toptektoptek Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also thinking about enrolling but might get ccent out of the way first. How often is the course run does anyone know?
    toptek wrote: »
    How often is the course run does anyone know?
    So far it seems to be offered 3 times a year, in Sep, Jan, and April....

GetCertified4Less