Options

Microsoft Office certifications

anyone have them? would they be good for someone like me who is working support desk and supporting office applications? or is it more for secretary types?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    anyone have them? would they be good for someone like me who is working support desk and supporting office applications? or is it more for secretary types?

Do the certifications have a troubleshooting objective or are they just about all the cool features they have? If they do, than it might help you but then again you already have the job.

To answer your question, the only people I have heard of looking to get office certifications were secretaries but that is just my experience.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do the certifications have a troubleshooting objective or are they just about all the cool features they have? If they do, than it might help you but then again you already have the job.

To answer your question, the only people I have heard of looking to get office certifications were secretaries but that is just my experience.

@ Mike and Ruski

They are for knowledge workers AKA functional users. If you are in support they won't do you a whole lot of good, except for the occasional how to do something. I've been in support for 5+ years and have had these for over 2 years, so I do have some real world experience with them. Personally these you can skip and just learn the application itself. Unless you are going to be a business analyst or in some sort of reporting business intelligence role, I would pass.

@Mike 272 is for troubleshooting office applications and I think there is one out for Office 2007 now under the MCTS track. However I am not 100% about that one.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    N2IT, you actually made me think of it, didn't you say at one point you were studying Excel?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    N2IT, you actually made me think of it, didn't you say at one point you were studying Excel?

I can see the Excel one being useful for system admins. Saw on a video for 70-640 the guy made a batch file with Excel of all the names he needed added to the OU, was pretty impressive. Maybe not take the Excel cert test, but it wouldn't hurt to have that type of knowledge, anything that can make your job/life easier is never a bad thing.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options

I am not really studying, just finding different ways of using it. I have been using Excel far longer than I have been in IT. I used to be an Item Manager for the DoD and used Access and Excel everyday I was there.

I am trying to get into more of a business role, that is why I am trying to get my skills ramped up. As an analyst you better know how to run Index / Match and Vlookups in your sleep.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I can see the Excel one being useful for system admins. Saw on a video for 70-640 the guy made a batch file with Excel of all the names he needed added to the OU, was pretty impressive. Maybe not take the Excel cert test, but it wouldn't hurt to have that type of knowledge, anything that can make your job/life easier is never a bad thing.

I think if you work in a corporation or mid size business you should be able to use the business tools. The application is a nice one to learn, but you will never master it unless you use it everyday. It's a beast.

Excel is great for importing and exporting data so is Access.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Hello All. I obtained these certifications, MOS Master 2003 was a requirement for my job at the time. I actually found the certification track really interesting.

I used to work for a consulting company in which one of my duties included teaching training courses to clients. Some of my clients included SouthTrust Bank, Regions Bank, Mercedes and Honda automotive plants. I taught beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses in all the Microsoft Office Applications; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook.

The Certs where simple considering the courses I was teaching. I benefited the most from Excel Expert cert and it was the hardest of the 5 exams These days I am no expert in Microsoft Office however that was 9 years ago.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    valeriechenvaleriechen Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chivalry1 wrote: »
    Hello All. I obtained these certifications, MOS Master 2003 was a requirement for my job at the time. I actually found the certification track really interesting.

I used to work for a consulting company in which one of my duties included teaching training courses to clients. Some of my clients included SouthTrust Bank, Regions Bank, Mercedes and Honda automotive plants. I taught beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses in all the Microsoft Office Applications; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook.

The Certs where simple considering the courses I was teaching. I benefited the most from Excel Expert cert and it was the hardest of the 5 exams These days I am no expert in Microsoft Office however that was 9 years ago.

I am Office Master 2003, 2007 and maybe 2010 (I don't know if I passed Excel 2010 Expert Beta) I think office certifications are really good to have.