What are the best resources for the 70-680 exam?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
After much thought and consideration, I have decided to pursue the windows 70-680 certification.

What are the best resources for this exam?

Here is what I’ am going to use for sure:

· Lab sim –70-680 video

· Skill port for 70-680

I’m unsure about the books…
I have read a lot of bad things about the Microsoft book listed below..

Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows 7 (9780735627086): Ian McLean, Orin Thomas: Books

Anyone have any info on the best resources? Here are some.. the exam cram isn’t out yet, but I had great success with Exam Cram when I used them for my Comptia Exams.

· InformIT: MCTS 70-680 Exam Cram: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring

· InformIT: MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring

Is the Sybex book listed below a bad resource?
· Microsoft MCTS: MCTS Windows 7 Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-680 - Book Information - Sybex

Do the books come with windows 7 for labbing? I was going to use virtual box for labbing, is vmware better?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Do some searching through this forum on the "passes". There is a ton of great information located in those threads on what people have used and whether or not they thought it was useful.
  • ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2

This was a godsend and will be for you. Just make sure you're comfortable with the basics of the WinServer platforms.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The Microsoft Press series was pretty good. I always check sites like Amazon, and see the reviews just to see if it's worth the buy or not. I also use VMware Server as my test bed.

I second that on ltgenspecific post....

Make sure you are good with W2K8 Server cause without some of that basic knowledge may pose an issue on W7 for you.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm also getting ready to start studying for the 680

What I plan on using:
    Professor Messer's Free Microsoft 70-680 Certification Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training
    CBT Nuggets 680
    the Microsoft book by Ian McLean, Ori Thomas

I'm not the kind of person who likes reading so most of my studing is going to be hands on, watching videos, and practice tests.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    I just ordered the Don Poulson 70-680 book today. I should be concentrating on studying CCENT, but couldn't help but get this book already, found a good deal.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can afford them, check out the LearnKey Videos, I watched those and did the MS Press book labs and I could have passed with just the LearnKey vids, it's definitely worth it if you can fork out the bank.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's a good idea to use both the 680 and 685 books while studying for the 680. Doing so really opens your eyes to a lot of the questions that the 680 chapters tend to bring up.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a good idea to use both the 680 and 685 books while studying for the 680. Doing so really opens your eyes to a lot of the questions that the 680 chapters tend to bring up.

+1. I would definitely hit the server material as well, as the exam expects you to have some knowledge of that.