Linkedin - Viewers of this profile also viewed...

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Hey,

For those who use linkedin and have you current manager on it,

is it bad that some of the profiles i viewed are our company's competitors? (and companies that are within the industry/business line)

I honestly don't want my manager to know that i'm job hunting. but it showed under "the Viewers of this profile also viewed..."

insight?

Comments

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    linkedin is a social networking site, it might be business-oriented but it's still a social networking site. That being said you can always tell your manager your just viewing profiles of your friends and finding out what they are up to.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My boss is on it. My boss' boss is on it. My boss' boss' boss is on it.

You can always say that you're trying to meet your fellow counterparts at other companies so that you can talk shop and do a little knowledge swap. Linkedin isn't just a lead for jobs. That's actually what I (currently) use it for.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If your manager cares about whose profile you've viewed then you likely have bigger problems that that...

MS
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    laptop wrote: »
    Hey,

is it bad that some of the profiles i viewed are our company's competitors? (and companies that are within the industry/business line)

I honestly don't want my manager to know that i'm job hunting. but it showed under "the Viewers of this profile also viewed..."

insight?
    It's an aggregated statistic. Nobody can see what profiles you are viewing besides their own (and that's only if you have that feature enabled).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    laptop wrote: »
    Hey,

insight?

Work on works time and use linkedin at home. Dont have your boss on linkedin. Stop worrying about things like this.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I'm curious to see how many of you use LinkedIn?
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Quite a few of us. In fact, there is a TechExams LinkedIn group.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I use it. I actually have quite a few TE members in my network
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I use it.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Yeah, I use it :)
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    ...In fact, there is a TechExams LinkedIn group.

Thanks for that, just applied to join :)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Another user here.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Use it. Frankly, it's the only social media platform I actively use.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    @onesaint so I guess we wont be expecting any tweets from you icon_lol.gif

I use LinkedIn from time to time.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I use LinkedIn. Recruiters ping me on it pretty regularly about job offers.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I have an account, but never use it. Ever.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • ODNationODNation Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use it and market it on my resume
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use it sometimes and get contacted fairly often about job offers. I also use it to network with my colleagues, TE members, and other professionals. It's a great site to market your resume/skills. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I need to update my profile with my duties for where I am now. But I still get on every so often.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
    Throwing in that I too use it, and second on getting recruiters contacting me on a daily basis. There was actually a story this morning on recruiters using LinkedIn almost exclusively: the recruiter honeypot | Elaine Wherry
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm on it, but I can't really say any more than that. I don't think I've ever been pinged by a recruiter on it or anything.

Unless you mean them asking to add you? I usually decline those.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Well I use it too icon_cool.gif If you guys want to connect my name is Ryan Nemeth. Always looking to make new connections/opportunities.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm on there, too. I have had recruiters send me messages before. That was when I decided to lock my account to where only people that know me can talk to me :)
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have an account
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    higherho wrote: »
    Please add me! Btw what is the techexams group?

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=40513857&trk=tab_pro

Holy jesus guy... You know you can very easily change your public URL to something a little more presentable (for if you want to give it to somebody for business purposes...or list on your resume)? Example...see my URL in my sig block.

Customizing Your Public Profile URL | LinkedIn Help Center
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, I've been using LinkedIn for a while as well. I've got former coworkers, TE members, a couple of recruiters, and some colleague-of-a-colleague kind of connections on there.

I have, unfortunately, dropped a lot of connection-requests that have come to me either completely anonymously or simply ". . . has indicated they're a fellow member of [group name]". We're all professionals here, so I would hope anyone reaching out to another TE member would want to identify themselves and write a sentence or two in the little message LinkedIn sends so that it's not just a random, Facebook-style friend-request. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Patrick Wheeler | LinkedIn

I accept all invites bring them on. Almost at 5,000! :)

Ryan invite has been sent.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I might use it more if it wasn't just all the same people from Facebook, Twitter and Google+. :)

My profile is in my sig.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Thanks Hutch! I fixed it :) (My public profile that is)
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    No problem. It was in an article I read...10 things to make your linkedin account stand out to potential employers. So what's the link now