4000 series router completly *^&$£"!!!!!

aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
hi all

i have a 4000 series router that i use as a frame relay switch and the other day i was saving a config to flash clicked through a bit quick and ended up doing a flash wipe (dumbass i know). thinking no prob its a new ios load but hooking up the tftp i knocked the power cable and it reset.

after going through a setup phase i loaded an ios image onto it and reloaded but it looks like the ios was corrupt and now the 4000 is stuck in a constant loop of loading the first bit, detecting a checksum and rebooting. sending a break signal gets it into a mode (not ROMMON) with options like "B filename address" which i tried but doesn't work as soon as you hit enter the fscking thing reboots. confreg xxx does nothing and reboots (you can view the register with "O" but i cant get it to change.

anyone have any ideas how i can get this damn thing into rommon send a break only enters a sort of mid boot section where every option i tryed just causes a jump in memory then reloads. i've searched through all the docs i can find which say the standard change conf reg etc which would be great if i could get the damn thing to rommon

anyone have any idea's i'm at my wits end and have tryed everything?

Comments

• millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    aldous wrote: »
    hi all

i have a 4000 series router that i use as a frame relay switch and the other day i was saving a config to flash clicked through a bit quick and ended up doing a flash wipe (dumbass i know). thinking no prob its a new ios load but hooking up the tftp i knocked the power cable and it reset.

after going through a setup phase i loaded an ios image onto it and reloaded but it looks like the ios was corrupt and now the 4000 is stuck in a constant loop of loading the first bit, detecting a checksum and rebooting. sending a break signal gets it into a mode (not ROMMON) with options like "B filename address" which i tried but doesn't work as soon as you hit enter the fscking thing reboots. confreg xxx does nothing and reboots (you can view the register with "O" but i cant get it to change.

anyone have any ideas how i can get this damn thing into rommon send a break only enters a sort of mid boot section where every option i tryed just causes a jump in memory then reloads. i've searched through all the docs i can find which say the standard change conf reg etc which would be great if i could get the damn thing to rommon

anyone have any idea's i'm at my wits end and have tryed everything?

Try setting up ur tftp server and instead use L filename address. See if it downloads the file first to flash.

I dont know which 4000 series you have. Does your model have a flash card.
    If it does take that flashcard over to another router, download a 4k series IOS on the flash and go back to your router and enter b flash. The router should reboot and load the first IOS on the card.

And if your getting commands like 'b filename address' your in the 4k rommon. B by the way reboots, L shouldn't reboot.

By the way can you execute a confreg without it rebooting, it should display some basic info on where the router is looking to execute code. it would help further.

If though both your main image and boot image are hosed though,and this model doesnt have a flash card, your only chance is swapping the internal flash SIMM modules out with another good 4k series.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    thanks for the help millworx i tryed it again today and it wouldn't even get as far as before spitting out bus errors and memory parity checks. i suspect somethings gone pop. because i dont have an actual rack (everythings stacked on shelfs with a birds nest of wires) removing the thing is gonna require the rack to be rebuilt.

i've decided to buy an nm-8a/s for one of my spare 2610's (bought as BB routers for INE but as i'm using 360 they have been sat doing nothing). plus i have nearly all 2611xm's so if it goes pop i can move the card (and they dont make the same amount of noise as a small jet aircraft does :) )
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    (and they dont make the same amount of noise as a small jet aircraft does :) )

Your welcome.. ^^^ and true that. I remember my first lab I had a 7200 and a Catalyst 4500. Both with dual power supplies. When you fired them both up. Haha. Lets just say, my ex wife could no longer sleep :D
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    sending a break signal gets it into a mode (not ROMMON) with options like "B filename address" which i tried but doesn't work as soon as you hit enter the fscking thing reboots. confreg xxx does nothing and reboots (you can view the register with "O" but i cant get it to change.
    Sounds like ROMMON to me :P

Type in:
    o/r 0x2101
    i

The 4000 probably needs a boot image on the flash but I can't remember 100% either way. If it comes up in RXBOOT then you're fine and can TFTP something over. If it doesn't work then you need to find something which can write a boot image to the flash card. You may find its a linear flash card, if so then you're going to need another router with the same type of card slot which may or may not be difficult depending on your situation.

Why are you posting in the CCIE forum anyway? The amount of traffic down here is significantly lower than the other forums.
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    tiersten wrote: »
    Sounds like ROMMON to me :P

Type in:
    o/r 0x2101
    i

Why are you posting in the CCIE forum anyway? The amount of traffic down here is significantly lower than the other forums.

figured a few of the "old hands" round here might of actually seen this kit in the wild and have some idea :)
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The old ROMMON is what you're describing and its as its named a tiny ROM monitor program which gives you the absolute basics along with limited debugging. It wasn't particularly friendly and wasn't able to initialise any interfaces so you couldn't do TFTP or anything else. You're reliant on a boot helper image which may or may not exist in ROM or to find another router that is able to write to those flash cards.

Looking at the Cisco documentation, the boot helper is stored in ROM for a 4000 so you should be able to recover it if you want to.