Options

What to take next?

dtli919dtli919 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Seeing how great this forum community is, I was wondering if anyone can give me some friendly advice.

I'm considering going into the IT field since I love IT in general. However, my major in college and grad school has nothing to do with IT and I have no real IT experience. In the past month I've acquired my CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ and was thinking what might be the next logical step to take. So for example, if my goal is to become a system admin, what are some of the required certifications I need?

I'm also considering taking Server+ just to get the main CompTIA certs out the way, but will that help me at all? Would Cisco or Microsoft certs be more valued?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice you gurus can offer. :D

Comments

• Options
    bparsonsbparsons Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Interested in the seeing the responses you receive.....I'm in a similar boat....some personal experience, but no related degree or work experience.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    My opinion would be to leave the CompTIA exams (besides Linux+/LPIC if that floats your boat). You already have enough certs for an entry level gig. Decide if you like systems or networking more and start your path with either CCENT or MS 70-680.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Repo Man wrote: »
    My opinion would be to leave the CompTIA exams (besides Linux+/LPIC if that floats your boat). You already have enough certs for an entry level gig. Decide if you like systems or networking more and start your path with either CCENT or MS 70-680.

I like this tactic. I personally would go with the 70-680, there are going to be a lot of jobs that you can use these skills in. In the next few years there will be a lot of deployments with Windows 7.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Repo Man wrote: »

Good advice.

Be sure to do what you think you will love. If you don't it will just be more school to you, which I'm sure your sick of by now... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    I have the CompTIA trifecta, next on my list is CCENT & 70-680 icon_biggrin.gif

Skip Server+, I have yet to see anyone require that cert.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    badboyeee wrote: »
    I have the CompTIA trifecta, next on my list is CCENT & 70-680 icon_biggrin.gif

Skip Server+, I have yet to see anyone require that cert.

I would skip server + as well. If you are trying to cut your teeth somewhere or unsure of what you want to do yet, MCITP+CCNA would be a killer combo. You could go for a desktop MCITP or a server MCITP or both. I would suggest you also do some studying on Virtualization and cloud stuff because that is the future of IT (I can barely type that with a straight face lol).

Linux+ might also make you a wild card since most shops and people are blue hat oriented (and that's ok icon_thumright.gif). Whatever you choose, just be flexible with your plans and make sure you get some experience to back up your certs. That is very important within the first few years.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dtli919 wrote: »
    Seeing how great this forum community is, I was wondering if anyone can give me some friendly advice.

I'm considering going into the IT field since I love IT in general. However, my major in college and grad school has nothing to do with IT and I have no real IT experience. In the past month I've acquired my CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ and was thinking what might be the next logical step to take. So for example, if my goal is to become a system admin, what are some of the required certifications I need?

I'm also considering taking Server+ just to get the main CompTIA certs out the way, but will that help me at all? Would Cisco or Microsoft certs be more valued?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice you gurus can offer. :D

I’m in the same boat(as far as certifications go, and career path) I would say volunteer, which is what I’m going to do……..Or find an internship
    Take the windows 70-680…I’m seeing more jobs for support and deployment for the Windows 7 OS

I'm trying to find an IT job too

Good Luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think the suggested certs are all good. What you need to look at though is that first IT job. Very very very few people ever get a shot in the deep end right off, so start looking for the oh so lovely help desk. That is the penultimate starting point for 99.9% of us in the IT field. Find somewhere that you can do more than reset passwords if at all possible. Once you've done that for a few years and you've got that MCITP:SA/EA or CCNA or both, then you'll be in a solid spot to hopefully have other things open up for you.

That's the stage I am at now, i've got my help desk under my belt, i've got some certs and working on CCENT and the MCITP:SA. Now I just need the job experience to back it all up.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.