Question about study approach

jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
The first few chapters of the CVOICE exam guide is killing me...lol. I read up a little of CIPT1 and it seems like it more hands on info compared to what I'm getting now. My question is would it be possible to study CVOICE and CIPT1 together and still get it all in or would it be better to keep it separate?
Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    jahsoul wrote: »
    The first few chapters of the CVOICE exam guide is killing me...lol. I read up a little of CIPT1 and it seems like it more hands on info compared to what I'm getting now. My question is would it be possible to study CVOICE and CIPT1 together and still get it all in or would it be better to keep it separate?

Some things overlap parts of route patterns, but CVOICE hits dial-peers and Gateways and Gatekeepers really hard. CIPT is more in the call manager and how it operates with gateways. If you have a voice job you can study both, but if your not I would knock out Cvoice first even though it may seem tough to you. Get the CBT nuggets on it.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Are the nuggets really good? I'm trying to manage time accordingly, seeing I have to the end of Feb. I sometimes try to pick the lesser of 2 evils..read a 500+ page book or look at 25+ videos. If time wasn't a factor with CVOICE, I would try and do both.
    I do both, I watch videos take notes, Read the book, do some labbing, then read the documents off Cisco's website. If time is a factor, you could prob get by with just hitting the high points off the book for review and watching the nuggets. Also what type of VOICE experience do you have. I sneak by cause i do 2nd and 3rd level VOIP support everyday, how much experience do you have?
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    shodown wrote: »
    I do both, I watch videos take notes, Read the book, do some labbing, then read the documents off Cisco's website. If time is a factor, you could prob get by with just hitting the high points off the book for review and watching the nuggets. Also what type of VOICE experience do you have. I sneak by cause i do 2nd and 3rd level VOIP support everyday, how much experience do you have?
    I have none? That's why I'm going through the exam guide the way I am. This is the only time I experienced something interesting and dry at the same time...lol. I guess because I really want to dive into it.
    Chapter 2 of the CVOICE exam guide is officially sucking the life out of me. Somebody please tell me I can skip this chapter!!! icon_sad.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Somebody please tell me I can skip this chapter!!! icon_sad.gif
    Nope -- but you can modify the One Chapter One Beer study motivation method to One Section One Beer for this Chapter. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Nope -- but you can modify the One Chapter One Beer study motivation method to One Section One Beer for this Chapter. icon_lol.gif

I prefer the "one glass of Scotch (full and Neat) per section" to the one beer method.

To the OP, I would suggest picking up a copy of the CCNA:Voice material as a companion. it will definitely help fill in the gaps!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
    *shakes fist*I just stared at the words. I guess I will get back on chapter 2 tonight. Chapter 3 is getting good. How about I read chapter 3 and then come back a little later...icon_lol.gif
    To the OP, I would suggest picking up a copy of the CCNA:Voice material as a companion. it will definitely help fill in the gaps!
    Really? I've never heard of anyone taking that approach. I will give it a try later on tonight (if my job has the book..)
    Its actually very good reading when you have environments to work on so I can understand you saying how dry it is, but once you get into a VOIP environment you will be amazed at how complex routing calls are and how we all take it for granted.
    Currently Reading

shodown wrote: »
    Its actually very good reading when you have environments to work on so I can understand you saying how dry it is, but once you get into a VOIP environment you will be amazed at how complex routing calls are and how we all take it for granted.
    Even with all the dryness, I still think it's one of the most interesting things ever. I don't know why I was bored out of my mind with it. To supplement what I don't have at the moment(i.e. voice hardware..lol), I'm going to do all that I can using Josh's (from Blindhog) GNS3 lab using VMWare and GNS3 (which I will kindly take out to use Dynamips). Hopefully, I can beg my employer to let me use one of their CUCM bootable disc. I hope they see that I have the drive and initiative to learn and succeed.

Oh wait, I'm about to take a job as a Jr. LAN Engineer on base!!! :w00t!:

***suggestion. We need to get Webmaster to add the woot smiley and name it Jahsoul...that is all. /suggestion***
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Chapter 3 is getting good. How about I read chapter 3 and then come back a little later...icon_lol.gif
    If you're talking about the 3rd edition of the CVOICE book, then yeah, chapter 3 is a good chapter. It's hard to get bored when you're making the phones ring. :D

Chapter 2 is fun if you have a couple of fax machines and some LOL Cat pictures to fax back and forth.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    If you're talking about the 3rd edition of the CVOICE book, then yeah, chapter 3 is a good chapter. It's hard to get bored when you're making the phones ring. :D

Chapter 2 is fun if you have a couple of fax machines and some LOL Cat pictures to fax back and forth.
    LMBO! Not cat pictures. Once I got past QoS, it went all down hill from there. lol. So, I can get a pass to go on to chapter 3???? icon_cool.gif
    After getting halfway through with chapter 3, a grim reality hit me. I need hardware and I need it now. icon_sad.gif Since I'm creating most of the lab with Dynamips, I'm going to limit actually hardware to 1 router with associated hardware and a single IP phone. Since I'm poor, it's looking like the 1760 for the router. I wish I could find a job where they just throw away stuff. icon_sad.gif