Quick Voice Spool Up

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey guys and gals, it's been a while since I was last on here. Got a job as a consultant and been busy.

Anyhow, I've got a question. Do you think it's reasonable to learn enough about Cisco voice to deploy a voice network in a few weeks? Background is that a client would like me to help them deploy a Cisco voice network over their five sites. They are aware that I'm not familiar with Cisco IP telephony and would still like me to help. I'm not a complete VoIP novice, I used to work with Asterisk and I'm a quick learner, but I don't want to commit to something infeasible.

If it is feasible should I follow the certification track (not necessarily doing the exams) or is there better real world material. Work will pay for what I need.

Thanks,
Kale

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CME or full blown Unified Communications manager?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm not sure, if it's dependent on the number of users they have around 175 users. Most within a single site. The other sites have 20, 11, 3, and 2 users. Most of the sites will have analog lines except for the main site which will have a fractional T1.
  • tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    i think it do-able as long as they give you time to figure things out and trial-error it out.

can you setup a lab and create the scenario before deploying it?

it wont be perfect at first but all you need is some time to dial things in and get any kinks worked out.

if i remember correctly, cme is 250 users max? it may be better to setup CM business (500 users?) .. then again.. it all depends on the expected growth of the company, if any.

what speed specifically is the frac T1 ? you will need to implement QoS on slow links.

do you have an ITSP or will all calls route via the PSTN ? your bandwidth/channels / calls is gonna be an important factor.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Well I say its dooable, but you will need to have a idea of how to do a dial-plan that will cover the 5 sites. Call Manager business edition will work. I usually prefer H323, but since you dont' have much experience I would use MGCP as the signalling protocol and call it a day. I think you can get it done if you get a good design and open a bunch of tac cases. Make sure you get a Bunch of DSP's at the remote sites for conferences.

SRND is your friend

or you can contact me we charge 160 a hour.icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    tokhss wrote: »
    can you setup a lab and create the scenario before deploying it?

I think so, I have various telephony cards in my home lab and can get more stuff if needed.
    if i remember correctly, cme is 250 users max? it may be better to setup CM business (500 users?) .. then again.. it all depends on the expected growth of the company, if any.

They may have another 100 or so users in the future so it sounds like CM would be a better fit.
    what speed specifically is the frac T1 ? you will need to implement QoS on slow links.

It's a voice T1, at least 8 channels. All but one site is connected via 5MB MetroEthernet. The other site may be brought in via VPN, not sure yet.
    do you have an ITSP or will all calls route via the PSTN ? your bandwidth/channels / calls is gonna be an important factor.

Everything will be PSTN.
    shodown wrote: »
    Well I say its dooable, but you will need to have a idea of how to do a dial-plan that will cover the 5 sites. Call Manager business edition will work. I usually prefer H323, but since you dont' have much experience I would use MGCP as the signalling protocol and call it a day. I think you can get it done if you get a good design and open a bunch of tac cases. Make sure you get a Bunch of DSP's at the remote sites for conferences.

SRND is your friend

or you can contact me we charge 160 a hour.icon_thumright.gif

Thanks, any recommendation on where to start in terms or studying up? I've looked through some of the design guides but I feel that I should probably get more familiar with the fundamentals. I'm familiar with SIP but not so much H323 or MGCP.
    "It's a voice T1, at least 8 channels. All but one site is connected via 5MB MetroEthernet. The other site may be brought in via VPN, not sure yet."

figure this part out b/c it will determine what protocols you will need to use.

MGCP will control your trunk to the PSTN for all in/outward calls to site.

If your going to use a vpn connection for the remote site, then you will need to implement another call routing protocol to control that connection, such as H323.

Someone else chime in on the vpn part please.

another question to raise will be how many possible calls will be made at any time of the day.. will 8 channels be enough for an outside line.

there is a lot to think about.. def draw out the network and then come back if you like for some input. a lot of us are always willing to help.
    "Thanks, any recommendation on where to start in terms or studying up? I've looked through some of the design guides but I feel that I should probably get more familiar with the fundamentals. I'm familiar with SIP but not so much H323 or MGCP."

download the pdf version of the cisco press book for cipt 1 certification. 6.0 version. that should give you the foundation on call manager

also download the cvoice 6.0 for the router side config / know how.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    The site with 175 users will need more than a fractional T1 if I"m reading you correctly. Also VPN users will have to ride the internet to get out, so make sure they have there own way to the PSTN either through getting a SIP trunk from there internet connection or a analog line from a FXO port. With that said the VPN users will have no QOS so at times phone quality will be crappy and there won't be anything you can do about it. I get a call about that once a week. Also for there VPN connection you can get ASA's on both sides have them come through a site to site tunnel. Some of the newer phones can have SSL built in so check that out also. This is one of those "it depends" things. I usually tell guys who have no clue to go to a cisco partner and have them look at your network. A voice deployment usually uncovers a lot of things that are broken.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Sorry about the vague descriptions, I only have a limited understanding of what they want to do on the voice side. The sales guy for this account just asked me today whether I could take this on, so I'm trying to figure out whether I can commit to it. I was originally brought in to redesign their network infrastructure, it's currently all layer 2 bridged over their ME connection except for the one site that has a DSL connection, users there have a remote access VPN to the main site. I'm putting in routers and hopefully a site to site VPN for the standalone office. Pretty much their whole network is going to be changing.

Thanks again.
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    best way to learn mate! I'm always in the deep end, and find its how i learn best.
    you already know about the underlining infrastructure and QoS.

download the srnd, go through the cbt nuggets and design as you go ;)

Awesome project to get your feet wet! voice is the way to go, and more of a challenge than r/s