Is it possible to connect my Cisco router to my home network?

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I have Verizon FIOS. I believe I have the 15Mbps/5Mbps speed.
The equipment that I have in my lab are: Cisco 2620XM with WIC-1T, 2x 2620 with WIC-1T each, 2620 with NM-4A/S, 2950EI 12ports, 2950 24ports.

The Verizon FIOS in my house is setup like this
[ONT] --(coax cable)--> URL="http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=41"]FIOS router/modem MI424-WR[/URL --(CAT5e)--> [PC]

I am planning to make it like this:
[ONT]-(coax)->[FIOS MI424-WR]-(CAT5e)->[Cisco 2620XM]-(CAT5e)->[2950EI]-(CAT5e)->[PC & other devices]

The questions are:
Do I need different type of WIC for my 2620XM to make it to work?
If I do, what kind of WIC should I get?
Would I get a speed bottleneck if I do this setup?

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I hope you like your FIOS, because I'm getting mine next week!!

Does your Cisco 2620XM have ethernet port? If so, I don't see a problem at all...just hook up your FIOS modem to your router, and then build whatever internal lab environment off of that router.

I have a setup almost like yours but currently with cablevision. I expect to be able to just take out cablevision's modem, replace it with FIOS and it will all be transparent.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cisco equipment only works on cisco ISP.....oh wait no such thing exists lol Just being a smart a$$ hehehe , anyways yeah it should work good. There are several ways to design such a network. The most simplest would be to instruct your Routers outside interface to recieve DHCP from the Verizon modem or you can hard code it.

Ok im on the last few pages on the network warrior book, i need to kill this today so i can focus on my ASA and CCDA studies icon_smile.gificon_study.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    cisco equipment only works on cisco ISP.....oh wait no such thing exists lol Just being a smart a$$ hehehe , anyways yeah it should work good.

You almost got me with that!!! I was all shocked at first, thinking "they have that!".
    That would be a good joke to pull on the LAN students that we have here.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I hope you like your FIOS, because I'm getting mine next week!!

Does your Cisco 2620XM have ethernet port? If so, I don't see a problem at all...just hook up your FIOS modem to your router, and then build whatever internal lab environment off of that router.

I have a setup almost like yours but currently with cablevision. I expect to be able to just take out cablevision's modem, replace it with FIOS and it will all be transparent.
    I like it because it is pretty fast. Faster than Comcast. The only thing that s**ks is if the DHCP on the FIOS router/modem disabled, you can't use your PPV, VOD and GUIDE on your STB.

@chrisone
    The ports that I have on my 2620XM are AUX, Console, and Fastethernet 0/0.
    The fastethernet on the 2620XM is output, right?
    How do I connect my 2950EI to my 2620XM if I am going to use the Fastethernet for my FIOS? This part confuse the heck out of me.

I might check that Network Warrior book out when I pass my CCNA.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    icon_wink.gif

i only responded like that out of jealousy , i wish i had FIOS in my neck of the woods icon_sad.gif

update: So your router only has 1 Fast ethernet port? I thought it should have one Fa0/0 and a Fa0/1 at least two of them. Hmmm well no big deal , you can create a VLAN on your switch and call it FIOS or whatever you like, then assign that vlan to 2 ports on your switch. Plug the FIOS on one port and your router in the other. Assign your router to receive DHCP and it should pick up the Verizon modem. Your switch is just doing layer 2 passing the traffic between the Vmodem and the Router since they are both on the same VLAN. This is very simple and basic flat network, if you want a little more complex you can trunk the router to the switch passing the FIOS vlan and a management vlan , perhaps a user vlan as well. I dont want to confuse you too much but thats also another option, but since your still doing your CCNA studies , try the first method. The second scenario will be a great CCNA lab for you, once you get a little more comfortable with networking.

(Verizon)
    [switch with FIOS Vlan]
    (Router)

Oh yeah and definitely get that Network Warrior book after youe CCNA. More than half of that book you probably wont understand until you pass your CCNA. Let us know how your FIOS network turns out.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Check this blog I made, for the easiest way to connect your cisco router to the internet.

Default Static Route/DNS Resolver on Cisco Router
    The following configuration demonstrate the easiest way to connect your router to the internet, and adding a DNS resolver.
    • 1. Internet Connectivity on Cisco Router.
    • 2. DNS Resolvefigur on Cisco Router.
    Router 1 DNS resolver will be 4.2.2.2 (internet DNS) and 192.168.1.107 (local DNS)

Router 1

R1(config)#ip name-server 4.2.2.2 (Internet DNS server)
    R1(config)#ip name-server 192.168.1.107 (Local DNS server)
    R1(config)#ip domain-lookup

R1#ping facebook.com
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 69.63.187.19, timeout is 2 seconds: !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 76/80/84 ms
    R1#ping yahoo.com
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 69.147.114.224, timeout is 2 seconds:!!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 92/94/96 ms

Internet connectivity between Router 1 is established, as well DNS resolver is working, I am able to ping facebook and yahoo hostname.

FA0/1 and Default Static Route Configuration.
    R1#show run
    ip name-server 4.2.2.2
    ip name-server 192.168.1.107

interface FastEthernet0/1 (connected to my fios router/switch)
    ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    interface Serial0/1
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 (Verizon FIOS Router Address)
    no ip http server

The next default static route I will be simulating is using a routing protocol.
    Ok will try that next week since I have to install some cat5e cable next weekend.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    With a single FaEth connection on the router, you will have to do "Router on a stick."

As mentioned before, set up a port on your switch (only ONE port) with a SINGLE vlan (i.e 600) and name it FIOS and plug your FIOS Modem there.

Configure the router's F0/0 for 802.1Q trunking with 2 subinterfaces.

Conf t
    int f0/0
    no ip address
    no shut
    int f0/0.600
    description FIOS Connection
    encapsulation dot1q 600
    ip address DHCP
    ip nat outside
    int f0/0.2
    Description Internal LAN Connection
    encapsulation dot1q 2
    ip address 192.168.100.1 (pick your own address)
    ip nat inside

The port on the switch into which you plug the cable from the router needes to be set up as a TRUNK port. Make sure the switch ports that you plug internal network devices into are configured as Access Ports on the same VLAN as specified in the config for the internal subinterface.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • Dilbert65Dilbert65 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    AS a side note it may not work even if you have everything hooked up perfect.

My cable company locks in the mac of the modem into thier allowed list. If you buy your own Linksys cable modem a tech has to come out to hook it up and then you get no support if anything goes wrong.

2620 only have 1 Fast Ether. The 2611 have 2
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Dilbert65 wrote: »
    My cable company locks in the mac of the modem into thier allowed list. If you buy your own Linksys cable modem a tech has to come out to hook it up and then you get no support if anything goes wrong.

This may not be the case. I have heard of people using a Cisco cable-modem HWIC to replace their ISP provided cable modem. From what I have read its just a matter of calling the ISP to give them your card's MAC address so they can replace their modem's MAC with the HWIC's MAC. As long as it is DOCSIS compliant then they can push their own firmware to the modem card and you can use it. Their technician should not need to come onsite just to plug the coax cable into your router. I plan to do this as sooon as I get a chance to configure some ACLs on my router (with cable-modem HWIC installed). I do agree that you would likely loose some tech support after doing this but I don't see that being much of an issue.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After doing lots of reading, I was under the impression that any 26x0(xm) have a single FA port, and the 26x1 have's two. You could always look at getting a NM-1FE-TX (single fast Ethernet card as well). I agree the cheapest solution is router on a stick.

You might need NAT/PAT as well configured, but I am not sure, I have this setup with my lab using sub interfaces, with Vlan 1 being the mangement, and then other vlan's doing voice, data, wifi, and other things I am tinkering with.

fa0/0.1
    ip nat outside
    int fa0/0.10
    ip nat inside
    int fa0/0.20 ip nat inside
    etc...

I believe if your using a cable and are over 10mbs, (15Mbps+) your into the DOCSIS 3.0 level and would require a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant card or modem, as my ISP at 25Mbps down is not using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, my old connection was DOCSIS 2.0 (10Mbps). You can use a DOCSIS 2.0 card, but you will not get the faster speeds you are paying for.

The modem they supplied is the SMC SMCD3GN-RES, which if you search, you can turn into just a dumb modem.
    ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
    ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    icon_wink.gif

i only responded like that out of jealousy , i wish i had FIOS in my neck of the woods icon_sad.gif

update: So your router only has 1 Fast ethernet port? I thought it should have one Fa0/0 and a Fa0/1 at least two of them. Hmmm well no big deal , you can create a VLAN on your switch and call it FIOS or whatever you like, then assign that vlan to 2 ports on your switch. Plug the FIOS on one port and your router in the other. Assign your router to receive DHCP and it should pick up the Verizon modem. Your switch is just doing layer 2 passing the traffic between the Vmodem and the Router since they are both on the same VLAN. This is very simple and basic flat network, if you want a little more complex you can trunk the router to the switch passing the FIOS vlan and a management vlan , perhaps a user vlan as well. I dont want to confuse you too much but thats also another option, but since your still doing your CCNA studies , try the first method. The second scenario will be a great CCNA lab for you, once you get a little more comfortable with networking.

(Verizon)
    [switch with FIOS Vlan]
    (Router)

Oh yeah and definitely get that Network Warrior book after youe CCNA. More than half of that book you probably wont understand until you pass your CCNA. Let us know how your FIOS network turns out.

FIOS Is good but Verizon Billing is horrible :P
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just one thing. I would get the FIOS changed over to ethernet and coxial for the VOD. I know it can be done because I have done it. I got rid of FIOS though.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Just one thing. I would get the FIOS changed over to ethernet and coxial for the VOD. I know it can be done because I have done it. I got rid of FIOS though.
    How did you do that?

I heard that I can run a Cat5e cable from the ONT box straight to the router. I am not 100% sure about that though, and I think I need to call them to activate the ethernet ports on the ONT box.

I really hate that FIOS router/modem. I wonder if they can give me a separate boxes like 1 for FIOS modem and 1 for STB. For what I have right now 15Mbps/4Mbps, 2x STB standard, and I am paying $158/month.

I am thinking to move back to Comcast, but they have 250GB capped bandwidth/month. This darn router/modem from Verizon s**ks.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    CiskHo wrote: »
    I have heard of people using a Cisco cable-modem HWIC to replace their ISP provided cable modem.
    HWICs aren't supported in a 2600/2600XM. The cable modem HWIC doesn't do DOCSIS 3.0 and currently there isn't an updated card.
  • whitty5527whitty5527 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi guys iam a fios tech in tech it is possible to move your service off of coax to cat5e from the fiber unit outside(ONT)....it will be a billable service call.. you can run the cat5e yourself whick would save you some money..i use a cisco 2801 in my house as my router, the set top boxes get there info from a device called a nim which turns ethernet into moca, which you may be able to get a nim from the verizon pluse store if you want to try to avoid a trip charge ... hope this helps
  • e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    CiskHo wrote: »
    This may not be the case. I have heard of people using a Cisco cable-modem HWIC to replace their ISP provided cable modem. From what I have read its just a matter of calling the ISP to give them your card's MAC address so they can replace their modem's MAC with the HWIC's MAC. As long as it is DOCSIS compliant then they can push their own firmware to the modem card and you can use it. Their technician should not need to come onsite just to plug the coax cable into your router. I plan to do this as sooon as I get a chance to configure some ACLs on my router (with cable-modem HWIC installed). I do agree that you would likely loose some tech support after doing this but I don't see that being much of an issue.
    Hey i have to try this. I have a card laying around here. Thanks for giving me the idea, and something else to take me away from the CCNA studies. *smiles*

Cheers!!!
    Utini!
  • CSCO11754055CSCO11754055 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have an interesting issue and it's probably something simple. I'm setting up a lab to work on my MSITP for Server 2008 and my CCNP. I have a couple of 1600 with 2 ethernet interfaces and 1 serial int.

I connected R1 e0 to the FIOS MI424-WR router/cable modem and connect the s0 int to R2’s s0 with the 2008 server hang off the R2’s e0 int. Pretty simple setup.

I set up ripv2 with no auto-summery on the ciscos. The default gateway for R1 points to the MI414-WR and R2’s default gateway pointing to R1’s serial ip. I don’t think the fios router supports rip. If so I can’t seem to find the setup. I made static routes on it pointing to R1 e0 ip for the R2 s0 and e0 subnets.

From R1 I can access the internet just fine. From R2 and the 2008 Server I can ping the public IP on the MI424-WR but not the next hop at the ISP.

2008 server ip 10.1.1.2/24
    R2 e0 10.1.1.1/24
    R2 s0 172.16.1.2/24
    R1 s0 172.16.1.1/24
    R1 e0 192.168.1.201
    MI424-WR private 192.168.1.1
    MI424-WR public 74.98.111.157
    ISP public 74.98.111.1
    R2 default gateway 172.16.1.1
    R1 default gateway 192.168.1.1
    Static route on MI424-WR 172.16.1.0 192.168.1.201
    Static route on MI424-WR 10.1.1.0 192.168.1.201

Again probably something stupid I missed. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Jason
    If I remember it right, what I did on my router that is connected to my FIOS MI424-WR was like this:
    FIOS---(cat5e)---(R1)----(serial)----(R2)----(serial)----(R3)
    Since my ip add on my fios lan is 192.168.1.1/24, I gave my R1's fa0/0 an ip add of 192.168.1.2/24, so that it would be part of the LAN. I also added a default route like this ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fa0/0. And I also issued the command redistribute static, so that my other routers would learn the default route thru routing protocol. I also used NAT overload.

Studying:
    Reading:
  • CSCO11754055CSCO11754055 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the default routes but not the reditribute. I'll give that a shot. txy
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    You're cutting your throughput pretty close. The 2620XM supports 15.3 Mbps, or 30k pps.

Also check your ip nat trans to see if your traffic is properly being NAT'd
    You're cutting your throughput pretty close. The 2620XM supports 15.3 Mbps, or 30k pps.

Also check your ip nat trans to see if your traffic is properly being NAT'd
    It worked fine for me. The only reason I connected my routers to my FIOS, so that I can ping Google. But at first I was thinking to make it part of my home network. When I get an 1800 series or may be a 2800 series, I will replace that FIOS router with a Cisco router. For now, I am keeping that Actiontec because I have no choice icon_sad.gif.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • MattsFaceMattsFace Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hate to bump an old thread... but I'm trying this set up with my cisco 2600 and my 2950 switch..

I've ran into an issue though... I can't get the sub-interface to grab a dhcp IP address from my comcast modem..

Any thoughts? I'll post my configs tomorrow.. I need to get a serial to USB cable :D.. using a PII laptop with no ethernet port to configure them now...

With debugging on I see this

DHCP: Received a BOOTREP pkt Not for us..: xid 0x9582ED52

lots of those
    Are you by any chance running an ancient version of IOS on that 2600?
  • MattsFaceMattsFace Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's version 12.2(24) from 04... so yeah its old..

should I update it?
    MattsFace wrote: »
    It's version 12.2(24) from 04... so yeah its old..

should I update it?
    Yes. 12.3+ as its probably the option 60 issue. You want to configure it as "ip address dhcp client-id fastethernet0/0" also. Replace Fa0/0 with whatever port you're using.
  • cjmiller00cjmiller00 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can someoen please explain router on a stick
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□