Already have MCITP:EDST7

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
But... I want to have the 270 MCP title, then do the MCDST 2 exam track. My potential employers use a mix of XP and 7, or only XP or... only 7.

So would I have both MCITP:EDST7 and MCDST if I passed all of the exams?

I'm on a roll and have been using and supporting XP SP1-3 for.... 7+ years. I think it's time to make it official!:D
:twisted:

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 270 exam is the client exam most people chose when doing the MCSA. It will give you the MCP certification.
    You can take the 271-which is quite similar to the 270 and the 272 to get the MCDST certification. The MCDST is slated to retire sometime this year...there has been some conflicting information as to when, though.

IT Certification Update: January 2011
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    darkerz wrote: »
    But... I want to have the 270 MCP title, then do the MCDST 2 exam track. My potential employers use a mix of XP and 7, or only XP or... only 7.

So would I have both MCITP:EDST7 and MCDST if I passed all of the exams?

I'm on a roll and have been using and supporting XP SP1-3 for.... 7+ years. I think it's time to make it official!:D

Passing the 271 will give you the MCP. The only reason to take the 270 would be to:
    1. Spend an additional $100+
    2. If you wanted to use it to complete the MCSA.

If you pass the 271 and 272 you will have the following certs:
    MCP, MCDST, and your current MCITP/MCTS

If you pass the 270, 271, 272 you will have the following certs:
    MCP, MCDST, and your current MCITP/MCTS

While the 271 is easier than the 270 - I think the objectives have a ton of overlap. Unless you have a reason to take the 270, I don't think it will help your career at all. It is not going to get you anything other than bragging rights.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 to Robert, the 270 would be a waste of time and money if you don't plan on going for an MCSA. Stick with just the 271 and 272 and save some money, the 271 gives you the MCP by itself so there is no need to take the 270, it'd be redundant.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    If I am getting the 680 via WGU for the MCITP:SA, can I also use that 680 for a MCSA? or will I need the 270 for that?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    If I am getting the 680 via WGU for the MCITP:SA, can I also use that 680 for a MCSA? or will I need the 270 for that?
    The 680 counts as a client exam for the MCSA.

290 + 291 + A+/Net+ and 680 = MCSA
    Systems Administrator| MCSA | Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator

If you throw in the 299 and your Sec+ you would qualify for the MCSA: Security.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Its too bad theres no one exam downgrade.. like how there is a one exam upgrade from MCDST to MCITP:EDST7 :D
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
    The 680 counts as a client exam for the MCSA.

290 + 291 + A+/Net+ and 680 = MCSA
    Systems Administrator| MCSA | Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator

If you throw in the 299 and your Sec+ you would qualify for the MCSA: Security.

I knew you could use it for that, but i meant was can it be used for both? like if I use it for MCITP:SA can it also be part of my MCSA?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    I knew you could use it for that, but i meant was can it be used for both? like if I use it for MCITP:SA can it also be part of my MCSA?

MCITP:SA doesn't require 70-680, although its a recommended prereq.

It can be used to fulfill all of these tho: MCSA, MCSE, MCITP:ESDT7 & DSA7, & MCITP:EA
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)

I think you are confused. The MCITP: SA track does not include the 680 at all.

But if you consider the MCITP EA, yes. If you use the 680 to obtain your MCSE then take the upgrade and other exams for the MCITP:EA your 680 would still count as the client exam. Exams are cumulative to certification. They don't get crossed off the list once you attain a single cert with that exam in the track.
    That answered my question, thanks!
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark