Options

Real world question - simple i hope

W2k3/Exchange2k7

I have two users that are set up as delegates on another account, so they both have a second mailbox visible to them in outlook 2007. One of the users deleted email in the account they both share access to, and the other user was not prepared for it. It was about a year's worth of email.

What is the best way to restore those deleted items once the deleted items bin is emptied? What is the best way to not let that happen again? I was thinking forward a copy of the email to the user, and create a rule to put it in a seperate folder.

Comments

• Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I would recommend journaling for Exchange to avoid future problems. Set your deleted items retention policy to a longer time period. If I remember correctly the deleted item will go to the user who deleted recovery items. I would check there first.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    71te07.jpg

By default (I think) deleted items are kept for 30 days so you should be able to recover them from your recovered items folder inside of outlook.

Click Deleted items, "folder" tab and hit "Recover deleted items" ...

If you don't see the option or the folder is empty - you might have to enable that on the clients PC

How can I recover items that I have "hard deleted" in Outlook?

Then how to avoid ? Well, journal is one way - but depending on how many emails you are sending / receiving every day the mailbox might get mahoosive.

In the above screenshot you can also see the option "Do not permanently delete items until database has been backed up"

One option is to tick that and make sure you run daily backups - then you can always restore the files if needed....
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I do have journaling set up. My rough guess was that I would have to install the 'journal' mailbox in an Outlook client. Does that sound right?
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    You can grant yourself full rights to the Journal mailbox and retrieve the deleted messages from there. Once granted rights just add to your profile in Outlook. However I am not sure of your retention time on your Journal mailbox.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)