Options

Am I the only one 70-647

Comments

• Options
    valenvalen Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    za3bour wrote: »
    MS book is just ugly, I scheduled it on Dec 20th I hope it's a realistic one. I have no problem in studying but some fun in the book won't hurt it's just dull and hard to follow.

Sybex book is better but what I really like is the unleached one. I'm not labbing a lot this time.

My test is scheduled for the 24th of Dec. Best of luck to you man.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    valen wrote: »
    My test is scheduled for the 24th of Dec. Best of luck to you man.

Thanks best of luck for you too, I will reschedule for sure maybe on 30th
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    I've been nibbling away at my 647 study over the Xmas/New Year holiday period and will be doing the exam in the middle of January.

I haven't been doing too much labbing on VM's but instead lots of reading and watching select video's. Much of this exam is at a conceptual level a kind of detailed birds-eye view of the whole Windows Server 2008 infrastructure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    I have heard that you need to concentrate on GPOs and RODC mainly for this exam.

A colleague of mine took it and said to focus on those areas mainly as it comprised most of the exam.

HTH :)
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    I have heard that you need to concentrate on GPOs and RODC mainly for this exam.

A colleague of mine took it and said to focus on those areas mainly as it comprised most of the exam.

HTH :)

Thanks for the info! icon_thumright.gif

I can why they like asking questions on those topics as it would be easy to dream up the typical Microsoft convoluted scenario's that they like putting in server exams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    Yeah it would be easy to come up with convoluted questions on those topics.

He also took the survey and said the exam was too easy so hopefully they don't change it by the time I take it next Jan/Feb. icon_lol.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    He also took the survey and said the exam was too easy so hopefully they don't change it by the time I take it next Jan/Feb. icon_lol.gif

Looks like he's got his wish as I understand the exam is different now with some kind of scenario components being added. I'm gonna book the exam on Monday.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    LCA wrote: »
    Looks like he's got his wish as I understand the exam is different now with some kind of scenario components being added. I'm gonna book the exam on Monday.......

That's good/bad news. I'm finally able to study again after more than one month of hold.

I will book the exam on 27th

I'm so confused now about next step though.
  • Options
    I've been nibbling away at my 647 study over the Xmas/New Year holiday period and will be doing the exam in the middle of January.

I haven't been doing too much labbing on VM's but instead lots of reading and watching select video's. Much of this exam is at a conceptual level a kind of detailed birds-eye view of the whole Windows Server 2008 infrastructure.

Yea I agree I don't think you can lab a lot in this exam, most of it is just too big to lab so reading/watching sounds like a good plan.

Please keep us updated about your exam experience.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    About at the halfway point now. Man this covers a lot of material.
    I'm still weak on DNS so going back over that material. Surprisingly Core identity and access management area was pretty easy for me to go through.

@Za3bour, how is changing jobs and moving affecting your studies?

Hey have you took this exam already ?
  • Options
    Well I am moving in to this book now after passing the 643 today.

I will be reading the MS Press study book and also bought the MegaGuide from Preplogic when I got the 643 for $4.

Anyway I also have VMware Workstation 7 and a few VMs so I will lab things up.

My coworker took the exam and said it was mainly RODC & GPOs but I think by the sounds of it they are changing it. He also took the survey and complained it was too easy!! Damn guy. icon_lol.gif

Oh well time to get cracking. Taking a Hyper-V course beginning of Feb so will book this exam mid-end of Feb to finish my EA.

Everyone that takes the exam post up your experiences on it as it will be good to watch.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    My coworker took the exam and said it was mainly RODC & GPOs but I think by the sounds of it they are changing it. He also took the survey and complained it was too easy!! Damn guy. icon_lol.gif

Oh well time to get cracking. Taking a Hyper-V course beginning of Feb so will book this exam mid-end of Feb to finish my EA.

Everyone that takes the exam post up your experiences on it as it will be good to watch.

Good Luck for you, it seems many are taking this exam soon so hope that we all make it. Why did he have to complain :D gotta say I did this as well with 70-640 I too though it was really easy.
  • Options
    Yeah would have been nice for them not to change it. I was already to study hard on GPOs and RODC. icon_lol.gif

Ah well we can just use all the knowledge from every other exam in the track to combine them together.

Reading to commence on Monday. icon_thumright.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    It seems MS haven't changed the actual exam topics but have added the scenarios (4 I understand) to test whether or not the victim (:D) can plan!

Apparently 646 is going to have or already has scenario's. Anyway back to reading the 129 page document about planning and deploying WSUS....... icon_mrgreen.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    It seems MS haven't changed the actual exam topics but have added the scenarios (4 I understand) to test whether or not the victim (:D) can plan!

Apparently 646 is going to have or already has scenario's. Anyway back to reading the 129 page document about planning and deploying WSUS....... icon_mrgreen.gif

Yep I did have 4 scenarios in my 70-646 they were not that hard but they were much of a surprise for me.
  • Options
    Yeah would have been nice for them not to change it. I was already to study hard on GPOs and RODC. icon_lol.gif

Ah well we can just use all the knowledge from every other exam in the track to combine them together.

Reading to commence on Monday. icon_thumright.gif

Well I wouldn't focus one some topics, with MS you never know what's coming your way.
  • Options
    Booked the exam today, waiting for Prometric to confirm......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    Booked the exam today, waiting for Prometric to confirm......

Good luck for you
  • Options
    Got the confirmation for 647.

9:00am next Monday morning (NZ time). Looking forward to real good scrap with the sure to be very convoluted MS questions! :)

I'll be winding down my study on Sunday so I have a clear mind for exam. I don't like studying up to the last minute, doing that fuddles up my old scone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hammer the sucker...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Got the confirmation for 647.

9:00am next Monday morning (NZ time). Looking forward to real good scrap with the sure to be very convoluted MS questions! :)

I'll be winding down my study on Sunday so I have a clear mind for exam. I don't like studying up to the last minute, doing that fuddles up my old scone.

Good Luck for you, bring us some good news
  • Options
    Thanks guys! icon_thumright.gif

Today (Saturday) I don't feel I have to learn new topics 48 hours out but I am just polishing up knowledge on topics like Branch Office design, virtualization, System Center and ForeFront products. I'm also doing a quick review of the numerous Infrastructure, Planning and Design series of documents that MS have available for download.

And now back to icon_study.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    Good luck and post up your results. I am booked for January 29th for this one as I have reviewed the MS Press, MegaGuide from Preplogic and used the MeasureUp tests.

I am also using the notes and links here as well. I find that if you combine the knowledge from all the previous exams it is not that bad. It actually seems easier than the 646 which took me 2 tries. icon_lol.gif

Anyway post up after taking and your thoughts.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Booked the exam at Feb 3rd lets see how it will goes.
  • Options
    za3bour wrote: »
    Booked the exam at Feb 3rd lets see how it will goes.

Let us know as I am booked on Feb 5th. icon_lol.gif

Been studying hard but things don't seem too bad for this exam. Just the new testlets might be a small issue but who knows.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options

Studying really hard in the weekend and finally finished Sybex book. Now I will be studying MS book I did read the first two chapters and it was so damn boring.

I think I will extend the exam date it doesn’t seem realistic and I have a big weekend (3 days) so I think I will move it to February 8th.

I still need to read some sections from Windows 2008 R2 Unleached to fill in some gaps that are not discussed in both books. I'm much more confident now, it's actually more fun to study now since it's reminding me of many stuff I've studied specially in 640/642.
  • Options
    Took the 647 this morning and failed with a 678!! icon_sad.gif

Only had 42 questions and none of the testlets that have been mentioned by others. Not sure what to expect next round.

Studied and know the stuff but the one section - Designing Core Identity and Access Mgmt was low. The other 3 sections were very high.

Missed by 1 or 2 questions. Ah well time to review quickly and take it again soon so I don't forget information. Might get the Self Test online access to help brush up with testing as well as other review materials.

Get it 2nd time as I always do. icon_thumright.gificon_lol.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Bad luck to miss by such a small margin. At least you've had a good look at the finish line and next time you'll nail it with flying colors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    Took the 647 this morning and failed with a 678!! icon_sad.gif

Only had 42 questions and none of the testlets that have been mentioned by others. Not sure what to expect next round.

Studied and know the stuff but the one section - Designing Core Identity and Access Mgmt was low. The other 3 sections were very high.

Missed by 1 or 2 questions. Ah well time to review quickly and take it again soon so I don't forget information. Might get the Self Test online access to help brush up with testing as well as other review materials.

Get it 2nd time as I always do. icon_thumright.gificon_lol.gif

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure you will pass next time and I hope that you have the free second shot?

I didn't feel that I'm 100% confident so I rescheduled my exam for the second time.It's not an easy one to study it does need you to read some old topics in addition to learn some new ones as well that are not mentioned in the books which are old.

Not sure about exam engine, I read it does contain some scenarios, you don't have one in yours so it seems there is no pattern.
  • Options
    I was thinking about this, do you think it is our right to know exactly what the format of the exam will be? also if there are beta questions or not.

In my opinion I think it's our right to know, at least to be mentally ready for this.