Options

CCENT vs. Network+

IUgrad505IUgrad505 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I'm new here but I've posted a few general questions and gotten some great advice about how to start an IT career. I'm studying for the CompTIA A+ exams so I have a good starting point, but I'm wondering about the CCENT. My real interest is security eventually - but Network+ and Security+ recommend the A+, which is why I'm getting it.

I figure I'll probably focus on Cisco not Microsoft when I finish those 3, but I'm wondering if I can take the CCENT without having the A+ yet. If so, I can start looking at that at the same time. I do have a decent basic knowledge of networking, but not in-depth and I have no real IT experience. Would a CCENT be more help in getting an entry-level job than just A+?

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

Comments

• Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Hi, welcome to TE.

If your interest is in network security, then i would skip the A+ personally.. (my goals are the same). As you may have already noticed, the A+ is all about computers and troubleshooting them, not so much networks.

If you don't have a strong background in IT or networking in general, you can start with Net+ and then go to CCNA, as from as far as I can tell the CCENT and Net+ are fairly similar, although CCENT is more CISCO based of course, where the Net+ is very broad. You will get things in Net+ that wont be present in CCENT/CCNA and vice versa.

Its not to say that the Net+ is not worth it, once you have done that, you will be in a very good place for CCENT/CCNA thats for sure, and with minimal IT experiance it may pay off to start with the Net+.

I didnt do A+ or Net+ and went straight to Sec+ and now CCNA, however I work in security and im employed as a network administrator so i saw no real point in doing them and found Sec+ to be rather straight forward, and since i've done a bunch of CISCO courses through work i feel i have a pretty solid understanding of networking.

I would suggest reading through the objectives of the Net+ and CCENT/CCNA and see how confident you are with them, and purchase some TCP/IP networking texts as well.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Ive done A+ and N+ myself, then other MS stuff...now i've just started cisco a couple weeks ago. I'd say skip A+ and N+. Now that they just straight up expire, they dont have the ROI imho that CCNA has. I wish I had started cisco long ago now that im into it. Its has a steeper learning curve, but it is more fun and a little more straight forward once you get your feet under you.

I look at it this way. CCNA will expire until you take another test above it. Then that renews all your lower lvl certs. Comptia's stuff, IIR, doesnt do that...even if it does, nobody goes past S+. If I'm going to push myself and spend the coin on something, I'd rather do it on something that doesnt dead end and turn into a money trap game. At least cicso has a much clearer progression, should you want it...and it is more soughtafter by employers. In addition, if you have cisco knowledge, employers can assume you have the other basic knowledge as well.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    CCENT vs. Network+

Night vs. Day as far as difficulty.

Network+ I found extremely easy because it was using CompTIA testing logic.

CCENT was a practical hands on application of networking knowledge and troubleshooting as it pertains to cisco devices/IOS.

Example:
    CCENT you will have to be able to subnet very well.
    Network+ you merely have to be familar with the concept.

Same can be said for may things in Network+, but it does cover more material just not nearly has difficult as CCENT will be for someone...not to mention CCENT you need like an 82-84% just to pass.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    Thanks for all the quick responses!

It sounds like I should skip the A+ and not waste my time. I do have a good basic foundation, although not as detailed in my knowledge as the A+ would require - but if I have no interest in PC repair then it's not necessary. My only concern is how it would look just starting with Network+ or CCENT, I suppose at that level knowledge of computer parts is assumed. If I MUST know about specific parts in more detail I can always read an A+ book to become more familiar with every tiny little aspect, but really if I'm gonna keep learning I"m more interested in being able to distinguish "well-known ports" as opposed to knowing what "Socket" processor a Pentium 4 is. (I hope that makes sense). In other words, I have no interest in A+ I was only starting it because it seemed like a necessary foundation, but if it's absolutely not I'll put my efforts towards something more useful.

Edit:
    I was just looking on the Cisco website at the CCENT and CCNA. From my understanding, the only different between these two exams is passing ICND-2 as well as ICND-1 to obtain a CCNA. Is this correct? If I pass both tests, would I become a CCENT as well or is that title just passed up? Just curious - but it sounds like the CCNA is a good starting point and A+ isn't worth it. Now, what about CCNA vs. Network+? Without any experience, should I start with Network+?
  • Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The CCENT upgrades to a CCNA, so you would not list it on a resume as you had to have it already prior to getting the CCNA.

And yes, you just have to pass the ICND-2 as well. Though from what I understand you can write a single exam in place of the duo as well, though this seems to not be the preferred route for various reasons.

I would say start with the Network+, personally. It will give you a solid grounding to build upon and covers a lot of areas the CCENT doesn't (I finish my CCENT course in a week at school and already have Network+ just so you see where I'm coming from).

I've always been one for start at the bottom and work up, don't jump in the deep end and hope to learn the terms that don't get explained because they are based on the assumption you already know what they are. Doing the Network+ will explain the cabling and pros/cons of each before you hit the Cisco stuff, which focuses on the theory of packet transfer and how to use vendor specific equipment without going into detail on the medium involved.
  • Options
    Thanks Conrad, totally makes sense. Definitely no A+ though? Sounds like I shouldn't even bother and A+ is just a complete waste of time. The CAT5 vs. CAT6 vs STP and other kinds of cable knowledge makes sense, but as my example said before, CPU's and sockets and knowing how to fix a printer really doesnt matter, correct?
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Check out these two links:

CCNA - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/61984-how-much-harder-ccna-than-network.html

A+ & Network+ is rather easy, it only took me 2-3 weeks for me to study them. Even with Security+.

I'm working on my CCENT now, I'm gonna study for at least 3 months.

If you are low on funds, definitely start out with CCENT, the exam is only $125. But if you feel you still need to build foundation start with Network+/Sec+. I would skip A+ if I were you if you have no interest in actual PC hardware repair. But if you have the funds its easy to knock out, especially if you already started studying for it.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    I don't have much interest in it, the question is whether it'll help me find a job for experience BEFORE I have a Network+ or anything Cisco. If it's completely unnecessary it's not worth it, and I'd sooner not spend the money on it - though I could see myself getting it later on just to add it to my list and say I know computer parts. Part of me wants to knock out the A+ before I start anything else, but part of me thinks I could save time and money and it's really NOT a pre-req for Network+ and Security+. It's recommended, but would it really give a Network+ or Security+ candidate any advantage?

Thanks for the links! I'll check 'em out.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ConradJ wrote: »
    The CCENT upgrades to a CCNA, so you would not list it on a resume as you had to have it already prior to getting the CCNA.

And yes, you just have to pass the ICND-2 as well. Though from what I understand you can write a single exam in place of the duo as well, though this seems to not be the preferred route for various reasons.

I would say start with the Network+, personally. It will give you a solid grounding to build upon and covers a lot of areas the CCENT doesn't (I finish my CCENT course in a week at school and already have Network+ just so you see where I'm coming from).

I've always been one for start at the bottom and work up, don't jump in the deep end and hope to learn the terms that don't get explained because they are based on the assumption you already know what they are. Doing the Network+ will explain the cabling and pros/cons of each before you hit the Cisco stuff, which focuses on the theory of packet transfer and how to use vendor specific equipment without going into detail on the medium involved.

Pick up a Net+ book? Maybe. Actually drop $250 and get the Net+? No way. I took a Net+ class (never dropped the cash for the exam though) and have a CCNA. The amount of material that the Net+ covers and the CCENT/CCNA don't isn't as great as you say.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Pick up a Net+ book? Maybe. Actually drop $250 and get the Net+? No way. I took a Net+ class (never dropped the cash for the exam though) and have a CCNA. The amount of material that the Net+ covers and the CCENT/CCNA don't isn't as great as you say.

So you're saying I should study Net+ to get a good understanding of the broader concepts, but only get CCNA certified? And even though the CCNA is Cisco-specific, as we all know, Net+ isn't THAT much more broad? Sounds like I should start with the CCNA, but other people seem to think differently.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IUgrad505 wrote: »
    So you're saying I should study Net+ to get a good understanding of the broader concepts, but only get CCNA certified? And even though the CCNA is Cisco-specific, as we all know, Net+ isn't THAT much more broad? Sounds like I should start with the CCNA, but other people seem to think differently.

If you have the money and don't mind spending it, then by all means go get the Net+. My only question is how much value it gives you if you're also Cisco certified or on the path towards Cisco certification. I'm not sure it's really worth the $250.
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    It all comes down to what you want to do. If you feel you need extra resources for networking, then study for the Net+ aswell, it is a good lead up. It shows progression in your learning, and commitment.

Obviously though the CCNA will out-weigh the Net+ being a little bit ahead in the game, not to mention the market share that CISCO own, however if you feel that you would benefit from Net+ then by all means go for gold! The Net+ would be a good companion study as mentioned before, its what i use and i have no intentions of getting Net+..
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    I don't have much interest in it, the question is whether it'll help me find a job for experience BEFORE I have a Network+ or anything Cisco. If it's completely unnecessary it's not worth it, and I'd sooner not spend the money on it - though I could see myself getting it later on just to add it to my list and say I know computer parts. Part of me wants to knock out the A+ before I start anything else, but part of me thinks I could save time and money and it's really NOT a pre-req for Network+ and Security+. It's recommended, but would it really give a Network+ or Security+ candidate any advantage?

I actually applied for a LAN Administrator job and it required an A+ certification. A+/N+/Sec+ all have overlap, if you check out the objectives, its like 15-20%. You should also do it in that order. If I were you I would go ahead and do all 3 of those then start CCENT. Although once CCENT is acquired it makes the Network+ certification worthless, IMO. But I feel it would be beneficial for you since you have no actual work experience.

Also if your interested in DoD jobs you should check out this blog:
    IT Certifications and DoD Directive 8570.01-M | TechExams.net Blogs

If that's the case you should absolutely do A+, N+, Sec+. Then there is a different track after that, like getting CEH or SSCP certified. Then later CISSP. Not an expert at this subject, if you're interested you should ask the Security forums. Thought I mention this due to your interest in Security.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    Good to know badboyeee! I see you have those 3 under your belt, which is good. I get that Network+ might become totally worthless someday, but at this point its probably invaluable seeing as I don't know very much. I'm definitely considering DoD jobs once I'm at that level, and I've been considering grad school and looking at the NSA's CAEIAE list. If you're interested, it's here: Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS

It's a list of Centers of Academic Excellence provided by the NSA - if I decided to pursue a degree, I'd go to one of them because it would give me the best chance of success. It's not necessary right now, but I'd consider it. I think I really should start with A+ based on all the advice, though I can see how skipping it might save time and it's not 100% necessary as well.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CCENT is relatively new and the wording Cisco uses for their certs makes it look somewhat unimportant

Cisco currently has 4 levels of certification

ENT - Entry level
    A - Associate
    P - Professional
    E - Engineer

To me, they should have called the CCENT cert CCNC and then we would have

C - Certified
    A - Associate
    P - Professional
    E - Engineer

They cheapen their own certification by calling CCENT holders entry level.

CCENT is just as hard (if not harder) to pass than the Network+ but from my experience the Network+ is valued above CCENT because of how Cisco labels their certs.

I got my CCNA before CCENT even existed but I think the folks at Cisco should rethink how they reward folks for passing exams.

I know for a fact that anyone over 25 won't even put the CCENT on a resume if they have IT experience - it makes you look like you have entry-level (meaning zero) experience.

MCP's are a dime a dozen but at least Microsoft calls them certified pros.

Oh well, I suppose Cisco is well within their rights to belittle their own certs.

Good luck to ALL my networking friends and I sincerely hope you can advance in your profession without being related to a CEO.

:)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey dude.

Both exams cover certain fundamentals. ARP, cables etc. I think they overlap well.

Unfortunately the lack of good labs and poor detail turns me away from Comptia. Additionally after completing the CCENT you would actually have some hands on skill. You would indeed be qualified to install a switch or router for a small business. With Net+ not so much. YOu still need to learn the vendor specific pieces.

In hind site I would have have done my CCENT/CCNA THEN my Net+. I love the perspective that Network+ gave me on the rest of the industry that Cisco's program alone could not.

If you are really interested in Security in general I would really recommend you drive for your LPIC-1, CCNA: Security and MCSA: Security. These are three entry level certs that offer real world application. Once you have done those, you'll find Sec+ a breeze.

Best of luck,
    -Daniel
  • Options
    jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    Netwurk wrote: »
    CCENT is relatively new and the wording Cisco uses for their certs makes it look somewhat unimportant

Cisco currently has 4 levels of certification

ENT - Entry level
    A - Associate
    P - Professional
    E - Engineer

Actually the E stands for Expert.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the quick responses!

It sounds like I should skip the A+ and not waste my time. I do have a good basic foundation, although not as detailed in my knowledge as the A+ would require - but if I have no interest in PC repair then it's not necessary. My only concern is how it would look just starting with Network+ or CCENT, I suppose at that level knowledge of computer parts is assumed. If I MUST know about specific parts in more detail I can always read an A+ book to become more familiar with every tiny little aspect, but really if I'm gonna keep learning I"m more interested in being able to distinguish "well-known ports" as opposed to knowing what "Socket" processor a Pentium 4 is. (I hope that makes sense). In other words, I have no interest in A+ I was only starting it because it seemed like a necessary foundation, but if it's absolutely not I'll put my efforts towards something more useful.

i worked in an IT company once where cisco engineers didn't know even know how to configure the CMOS properly. I had to show them how to manipulate the boot sequence and I also had to fit a new cpu because they made a mess of the thermal paste (too many lumps causing air pockets). amateurs.lol. What was even more embarrassing for them was that I had no IT certifications whatsoever and didn't even know the difference between a switch and a router. When i joined that firm, I had even accepted the fact that technically they are better than me since they had CCNA and MCTS in their titles yet they then went and let the whole system down by having a simple tea boy(me) have to help them put a cpu in.

I always assumed that networking requires greater skill than say building/upgrading computers but I was wrong as there's alot of cisco people out there who don't even now hot to fit a psu. I find this strange (at the place i worked)because if a person have a genuine interest in IT then you'd surely want to know PC architecture first.

I've always loved building and upgrading computers and in fact i always disliked networking (I thought it was boring). But now that I've done the net+ i want to go on and learn more. It's actually not that difficult as I was lead to believe. It still is no way as interesting as building your own machine, nurturing the hardware etc but still its quite good.

My point is that I personally believe in having a good all round knowledge of IT. It does help overall and in the long run.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128

Old thread but I wanted to bump as I feel I am in a similar situation as the OP, and this appears to be the million dollar question that no one answered.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OP wrote:
    Part of me wants to knock out the A+ before I start anything else, but part of me thinks I could save time and money and it's really NOT a pre-req for Network+ and Security+. It's recommended, but would it really give a Network+ or Security+ candidate any advantage?
    burfect wrote: »
    Old thread but I wanted to bump as I feel I am in a similar situation as the OP, and this appears to be the million dollar question that no one answered.

Look at local job postings. How many ask for an A+ or CCNA only? In my area, many. How many ask for a Network+ or CCENT only? In my area, couldn't find any. How many ask for a Security+ only? I see some, but the lowest experience requirement in the lot listed a minimum of four years of security experience. Maybe your area differs.
  • Options
    Good point NetworkVet. It seems in my area (MA, Boston) a lot of postings request a degree & A+, even if the particular job is above a helpdesk/desktop level, or it's more network related.

I see a lot of Sys Admins, particularly around virtualtization, who's only certs might be a A+ and VCP, even if they started on the network side and migrated to servers.

Have been going back and forth but it feels like an A+ gives you a better bang for your buck, (i saw a posting on CL for a Jr Network Admin job and the only cert "desired" was A+) even if you don't really have an interest in helpdesk/desktop there are so many differing views on this.
  • Options
    DoubleNNsDoubleNNs Member Posts: 2,015 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Curious, what area is that burfect?
    (I'm thinking about relocating in a few months. But haven't picked a definite destination just yet.)
    Goals for 2018:
    Certs: RHCSA, LFCS: Ubuntu, CNCF CKA, CNCF CKAD | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer, AWS Solutions Architect Pro, AWS Certified Security Specialist, GCP Professional Cloud Architect
    Learn: Terraform, Kubernetes, Prometheus & Golang | Improve: Docker, Python Programming
    To-do | In Progress | Completed
  • Options
    Northshore of Boston pretty much. Though I am very close to the downtown area.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    To me, they should have called the CCENT cert CCNC and then we would have

C - Certified
    Cisco Certified Network Certified? Wouldn't CCNT sound better? Cisco Certified Network Technician.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA