Options

Routing TCP/IP Volumes 1 and 2 - a great CCIE study structure

mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm finding the way the chapters are organised for CCIE study is perfect. I'll be following the way the books are structured as the basis for my study.

1. Routing basics - IP and IPv6 packets, static routing
2. Interior routing protocols - EIGRP, OSPFv2,3, IS-IS...
3. Route control and interoperability - policy based routing and redistribution

4. Exterior routing protocols - BGP
5. Advanced routing - multicast, NAT

Then you've just got your MPLS, QoS, switching and security to supplement the books.

Jeremy Ciora also recommends studying this way in CBT nuggets. Get all your IGP's learnt, then move on to EGP's, and so on.

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm finding the way the chapters are organised for CCIE study is perfect. I'll be following the way the books are structured as the basis for my study.

1. Routing basics - IP and IPv6 packets, static routing
    2. Interior routing protocols - EIGRP, OSPFv2,3, IS-IS...
    3. Route control and interoperability - policy based routing and redistribution

4. Exterior routing protocols - BGP
    5. Advanced routing - multicast, NAT

Then you've just got your MPLS, QoS, switching and security to supplement the books.

Jeremy Ciora also recommends studying this way in CBT nuggets. Get all your IGP's learnt, then move on to EGP's, and so on.

You also have system management, network management, IPv6 and IP services. I first read Doyle back in 2001 and still rate the books as essential reading. Cover them well and use them throughout your lab prep. Solie is worth picking up as well as it is very practical.
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    I think another perfect addition to your reading is Internet Routing Architectures by Sam Halibi. It really goes in depth as far as the BGP routing protocol. I think it is a pretty essential read to any CCIE hopeful.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I spent the additional money for Kindle versions of Doyle's Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 & 2 even though I already have the books, SafariBooksOnline, and PDF versions.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!