Options

So what next?

BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I work in support role just coming on two years now(in April), so I work with different technologies but would eventually like to specialize in something after getting a good foundational knowledge that it was what I am trying to do now, anyway I have the certs that you can see over on the left, little unsure what to go for next, I was thinking SQL but after speaking with a friend he said exchange would be better option seeing as I have not studied exchange before or have a great deal of experience with it.

Would the exam 70-662 on exchange 2010 config be the best option(bearing in mind my little knowledge of exchange), should I go for the AD certs first or something differently!

Completely open to any suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Looks like you've gotten a good baseline of knowledge there, MCSA/CCNA/ITIL.

I would consider going the MCITP:SA path or if your CCNA is going to expire soon, look at one of the concentrators.

Overall though it will depend on if you want to work networking equipment (Router/Switch/Firewall Cisco Stuff) or systems (Microsoft, Exchange, SQL, Unix). If you prefer Microsoft both Exchange and SQL are pretty much everywhere the bigger question is which one do you with more and which exam will give you a bigger benefit it your current role. (If you have experience with SQL I would look into that just to reinforce your real world experience, which will also make it a fairly easy exam for you knock out and move on to the next one)

It's really a coin toss I'm can say one thing SQL is always on the bottom of my list :D
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, my ccna is good for a while yet however I would like to do CCDA but for now I would like to concentrate on Microsoft.

I'm trying to think beyond my current role, I only come across SQL when doing SCOM monitoring(mostly Dynamics,SQL clusters,exchange issue go specific teams I do not look into them)

If I go for exchange is the 662 what I should go for, does the MCITP:SA contain an exchange exam its two exams to upgrade MCSA to SA right?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Barrypr wrote: »
    Hi All,

I work in support role just coming on two years now(in April), so I work with different technologies but would eventually like to specialize in something after getting a good foundational knowledge that it was what I am trying to do now, anyway I have the certs that you can see over on the left, little unsure what to go for next, I was thinking SQL but after speaking with a friend he said exchange would be better option seeing as I have not studied exchange before or have a great deal of experience with it.

Would the exam 70-662 on exchange 2010 config be the best option(bearing in mind my little knowledge of exchange), should I go for the AD certs first or something differently!

Completely open to any suggestions!

I would be thinking more about redefining your role than concentrating on learning more technologies right now. Two years in support is enough time in the trenches. Look towards moving out of operations entirely into projects. This will help you move into and along the solutions design -> architect path. Operations is the just beginning. Stay there too long and you get slotted as well as outsourced. Move into value add work closer to the commercial lifeblood of IT.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Barrypr wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, my ccna is good for a while yet however I would like to do CCDA but for now I would like to concentrate on Microsoft.

I'm trying to think beyond my current role, I only come across SQL when doing SCOM monitoring(mostly Dynamics,SQL clusters,exchange issue go specific teams I do not look into them)

If I go for exchange is the 662 what I should go for, does the MCITP:SA contain an exchange exam its two exams to upgrade MCSA to SA right?

Ahh, Ok I see you want to expand icon_wink.gif

CCDA is mainly theory and best practice, not as technical as CCNA/CCNP, but CCDA does ask for SWITCH knowledge so it would be a little undertaking going through some SWITCH material then CCDA material.

The MCITP: SA will not have any Exchange material on it but it is 2 exams, the upgrade exam mainly covers the new technologies in 2008.

Windows Server Certification | Microsoft Server exam list | Microsoft Certified Professional

70-648 and 70-646.

As far as Exchange 2010 70-662 looks like a good starting point.
    Microsoft Exchange Server Certifications | MCTS | MCITP | MCM | MCA

Sadly, I'm probably not going to be helpful with the Exchange side (I work in a Domino/Notes settings right now so my Exchange exposure is minimal).. But I would say pop-up a VM or test box with Exchange and start banging away. (That's what I do with SQL and a test VM to break... and restore from icon_smile.gif )
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips guys, I think I will go for the 662 on exchange I mean I will need to do it at some stage, Turgon your completely right in what you have said and I am currently doing something about that I have the certs, I need to put them to use hopefully I have something in field service in the works.

Now in work I have been told to AD before exchange, I can see the reasons but my lack of knowledge in the area is holding me back, nearly all jobs I see ask for exchange experience and in interview situations when asked about exchange I'm not going to lie obviously!

I got the cbtnuggets material but just saw post saying it may not be the best but it will be a start I guess!

On a side note I did the 291 on Monday and my transcript has still not been updated in never takes this long icon_sad.gif