Facing the beast in a week

Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
I booked the exam for in a week so now its up to last minute preparations. Really hope I pass this one to get my MCSA 2003.
"Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
2013/2014 Certifications
CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! I'm also pursuing my MCSA/MCSE certs icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • kamikaze_wormkamikaze_worm Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck. Dont be intimidated by "The Beast". As someone that is strugerling with my last exam for MCSE (failed 3 times). Tho that exam is not easy, if you put the work in and know the knowlegde then you will be fine. Everyone said to me that I would struggle with the beast and design exam is the easiest. I sailed through first time with the beast.

Tip is to manage your time well and read every question carefully.
    IT Desktop Support Technician
    Comptia Exams passed - A+
    Microsoft Exams Passed - 270, 290, 291, 620, 293, 294
    Qualifications - MCP, MCTS, MCSA
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Good luck, remember to be confident.

It's only considered a failure if you fail and give up.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hands on experience will be a huge help here.

Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed this Monday gone, was really worked up going into the exam, after I had finished I question why people call it the beast! Several sims but they were basic enough in my opinion!

Good luck, you'll be fine :)
  • jblake1986jblake1986 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took this a couple years ago. Take your time and don't get rushed. I second hands on experience helps.
    ICND1 Test Apr 23
  • jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am facing the beast this coming Thursday finally. I have started and stopped studying 4 times. I have used the MS Press book, O'Reilly MCSE Nutshell, MOC, CBT Nuggets and now the clincher for my confidence: testout. This is the first time I have used testout and it is fantastic so far I am able to see through the barriers I had before.

Good Luck next week! Hope to change theads along with you to 293.
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank you all for the motivation. yeah hands on experience is the best, but with this exams RRAS nobody uses it as much so its rather difficult to get to work with that much and now to understand all aspects of iticon_mad.gif.

have vmware installed. can someone maybe tell me how they setup their rras labs to get hands on it. think its the biggest worry for me now.

What practice exams did you guys use that you found very useful for this exam?
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications

@jfmcaninch, yep hope i'll also be at the 70-293 in a weeks time. let me know how it went.
    good luck and slay "the beast".
    2013/2014 Certifications

I have server1 set up with 2 nics. One on the NAT network and one on a private network. I then have RRAS set up to bridge the connection and have a DHCP server to provide addresses for the rest of my enterprise.
  • MattMcNabbMattMcNabb Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jfmcaninch wrote: »
    I have used the MS Press book, O'Reilly MCSE Nutshell, MOC, CBT Nuggets and now the clincher for my confidence: testout.

I would also recommend Self Test Software. Any time that I have been loose enough with the coin purse to purchase the Self Test practice exams I have done well on the real exam. To save money I usually do all my reading and labbing and then purchase the online version of the practice exam which is $30 cheaper than the download. Then I spend a couple weeks diligently testing myself and so far this method hasn't failed. However when I was being cheap and relying on MS-Press books and Readiness Review I had a couple fails. The key with these tests is finding a method that works well for you and sticking to it consistently.
    “It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”
    thank you. will try that, the hardest part is remembering all those settings and when to use what settings in rras.
    2013/2014 Certifications

thank you. will try that, the hardest part is remembering all those settings and when to use what settings in rras.

It really isn't too bad. I am still by no means an expert, but knowing it well enough for the test isn't so hard.
    watched all the rras sections of cbtnuggets, feeling better about it now, still not 100% but better. great material. now just to go and try a few practice tests to see if i can really nail "the beast" on monday.
    2013/2014 Certifications

jfmcaninch wrote: »
    I am facing the beast this coming Thursday finally. I have started and stopped studying 4 times. I have used the MS Press book, O'Reilly MCSE Nutshell, MOC, CBT Nuggets and now the clincher for my confidence: testout. This is the first time I have used testout and it is fantastic so far I am able to see through the barriers I had before.

Good Luck next week! Hope to change theads along with you to 293.

have you gone to write the exam yet?
    2013/2014 Certifications

watched all the rras sections of cbtnuggets, feeling better about it now, still not 100% but better. great material. now just to go and try a few practice tests to see if i can really nail "the beast" on monday.

The 293 covers RRAS again. Not quite to the same detail (I think only 2 vids) but if you are going to be going that route anyway, it might benefit you to see it again in a slightly different format.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Good luck to you - I'm taking it on 2/21/11. I want to put it off and spend more time on all the material, but I have a second shot, so we'll call this a practice run if nothing else. I feel like if I pass on this first go, it will be one of my closest......
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    I haven't wrote the test yet, now scheduled for Feb 22nd. Testout went a little longer than I thought and I am just recovering from a nasty bout with the stomach flu. Crossing fingers for the 22nd. Will keep posting with status.
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
    good luck and hopefully we can all move on to a next forum shortly.
    I will let you know how it went, hopefully I can then be a MCSA 2003.

@devilsbane - yep im moving to 70-293 next want. so if I pass Monday I want to start immediately on 70-293. waited to long between 70-290 and 70-291.
    2013/2014 Certifications

@devilsbane - yep im moving to 70-293 next want. so if I pass Monday I want to start immediately on 70-293. waited to long between 70-290 and 70-291.

You will find it scarily familiar.
    only 24 hours remaining then it's exam time. feeling the nerves building up, so hopefully this last few hours remaining of studying and reviewing is worth the whileicon_study.gif. will let know how it was and if I made iticon_confused.gif
    2013/2014 Certifications

passed this morning with a score of 828. glad to get this one over, now its on to 70-293.
    2013/2014 Certifications

• pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, hope to join you soon.
    God deserves my best
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • kamikaze_wormkamikaze_worm Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    passed this morning with a score of 828. glad to get this one over, now its on to 70-293.

Well Done Fella. Great feeling passing this one. I wouldnt hang around too long before attempting 293 as I waited ages and then had to re-revise alot of stuff!
    IT Desktop Support Technician
    Comptia Exams passed - A+
    Microsoft Exams Passed - 270, 290, 291, 620, 293, 294
    Qualifications - MCP, MCTS, MCSA
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
    Well I am off to the 293 forum now. I scored a 764 today in approx 1 3/4 hours. I am so relieved not to have to write this exam again. I was psyched out writing the 292 exam a few years ago that I was loathing have to write the 291. The 291 exam was not even close to what I have encountered in 292. Labbing and a good CBT is needed for this exam for sure. I had a few questions that I just had to use a gut feeling. Good luck to those challenging this exam.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63