Have anyone been to New Horison

ATL-TECHATL-TECH Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is it worth that much money for there classes?
Is it a boot camp?

Comments

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a boot camp.
    It's expensive.
    The one near me is a microsoft gold partner.
    They provide job placement services, but only if your in their training program.

I personally don't think it's worth it. The way I look at it is you pay them 12k to find you a job, because I know I can get those certs without their program.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Priston wrote: »
    It's a boot camp.
    It's expensive.
    The one near me is a microsoft gold partner.
    They provide job placement services, but only if your in their training program.

I personally don't think it's worth it. The way I look at it is you pay them 12k to find you a job, because I know I can get those certs without their program.

In times of desperation I can see why people would attempt this route, but I agree with Priston. It's just too dang expensive. You could just take one course and pay 900 USD, but usually a program will cost you way up there.
  • KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been to the testing facility only but a couple of co-workers of mine have been to classes. I think it depends on the location and type of class being taken. While some are "bootcamps" others can be really good. If the class is a one day deal I would stay away. Others in my area are usually a week in length. I think you might be able to contact the New Horizons and ask if you can sit in for an hour on a class to see if it's for you. They might not say yes or they could.
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have taken classes there through my employer and its ok I guess but there is only so much you can learn in a week or so. I think the people who don't know any better and are new to IT would be better off checking out their local community college. Most of them offer IT classes that use certification training. It's slower paced and better suited for those with less experience in a certain area. The problem though is most CCs require you to be in a degree program to get access to the classes.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NH is not much different from other training providers, in that they offer most of the MOC courses, their own flavor of bootcamps, on-site training, etc. I have found the quality of instruction there to be hit or miss, but generally a couple of notches less than a Global Knowledge, for example. It seems to vary WIDELY on the location.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I've only been to a New Horizon's because they are both a Pearson Vue and Prometric center.. Of course the one near me closed down forcing me to travel even further now for a testing center..

I've only met a few people that used them for courses and they said it was a good experience.. I just prefer the study at your own pace method icon_smile.gif

As mentioned already if your motivated to study I wouldn't bother wasting the money for the class their are ample resources out there for self-study.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DONT waste your money on these places. For a fraction of the cost of the course, you can build yourself a lab, buy books and you are set for self-study. You'll learn more that way, besides there's no way you are going to be able to cram all that knowledge in a week or 10 days.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • mezekermezeker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been to NH. Don't go there. The amount of money they won't is unreal for what you could do on your own time. Just have a will to be better than yourself and a will to get to where you like to be no matter what.

If anything, join a local chapter of the exam you going for and buddy up with someone.

I would not spend money on them for any entry level exam nor the MCSE, RHCE, ITIL v3 Expert, VCP or anything like that.

There CCNA course is split in two and it cost $3,400.00 each one for the ICND-1 and ICND-2 so you paying like close to $7,000.00 for one CCNA class.

I live in New York and the NH school here sucks.

Make up your mind and select the self study method.

I am always willing to train someone on a cert I have and you want, let me know.

Cheers mate
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista, MCAS: Outlook 2007, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals, ITIL v3, ISFS Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 Certified

"You must not only test whether an application
    does what it is supposed to do, but also whether it does not do what it should not do."
  • william1971william1971 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I currently go to New Horizons in Florida, and all I have to say is; New Horizons is nothing more than an expensive book/video store. They try and sell you on an IT program and once you decide they'll charge you this ENORMOUS amount of money for books and video tutorials.

After that, you're on your own! No teachers, No Classes, Nothing! They tell you when they're trying to reel you in that they offer 'Mentor Learning' when you enroll in your program. All that means is, there's someone who has gone through the same program you're going to take at NH in case you have questions, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily qualified to answer any questions you may have.

If I had to do it all over again I would of:

1) Gone to a community college
    2) Bought the books on my own and studied from home

I highly advise against going to New Horizons!!!