Options

Veteran Unix Admin traits

Nine traits of the veteran Unix admin | Unix - InfoWorld

I thought this was amusing, posted on the front page of slashdot today.

How many of these are you guilty of? I am guilty on all counts save one.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    hehe guilty (not a veteran per se) ! except for the "regular expressions" point, I'm not guilty of that yet.

I like this:
    Veteran Unix admin trait No. 6: We generally assume the problem is with whomever is asking the question
    To reach a certain level of Unix enlightenment is to be extremely confident in your foundational knowledge. It also means we never think that a problem exists until we can see it for ourselves. Telling a veteran Unix admin that a file "vanished" will get you a snort of derision. Prove to him that it really happened and he'll dive into the problem tirelessly until a suitable, sensible cause and solution are found. Many think that this is a sign of hubris or arrogance. It definitely is -- but we've earned it.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That is awesome, I had to send that to my co-workers they will love it.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Excellent post!! I'm guilty of most of the things mentioned in the article hehe
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hahaha, used to be on the emacs side in college, now like vi, which is hard to admit.

Veteran Unix admin trait No. 9: Rebooting is almost never an option --> cant say how many times i have wished folks simply didnt reboot to "solve" problems... magic fixes...
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    yeah, if someone's first solution is to reboot the server, you know they have windows admin experience hehe
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    sidsanders wrote: »
    hahaha, used to be on the emacs side in college, now like vi, which is hard to admit.

Veteran Unix admin trait No. 9: Rebooting is almost never an option --> cant say how many times i have wished folks simply didnt reboot to "solve" problems... magic fixes...

I'd like to learn Emacs, but have never taken the time too. I was actually asked that question on an interview, Emacs or vi. But I have used vi because it is always there. You boot up a system, or a fresh install and you have vi.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    brownwrap wrote: »
    I'd like to learn Emacs, but have never taken the time too. I was actually asked that question on an interview, Emacs or vi. But I have used vi because it is always there. You boot up a system, or a fresh install and you have vi.

Yup, which is the same reason you should learn perl as your scripting language. it's installed on virtually any modern unix by default.

Except fedora, for some reason. Still trying to figure that one out.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    brownwrap wrote: »

Some of the things in Emacs annoy me, but Org-Mode is fantastic.