Options

Keep or Trash? Found some Routers J

geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
Just starting out and I want to build a lab that will work up to CCNA minimum and maybe CCNA Security..
I found a 1701 at the office and a 1760. Think I might have another 1701 somewhere and maybe a 1760. I also have a friend who has a “few” 3640s that I might have access to and 5 more 1701s. There is a ton of lab info I am trying to digest on these forums, but I have two quick questions.
How usable is this or should I trash it and move on? Next is there a way to tell the flash on the 1701s without starting them up?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    All good.

The 1760s can run the IOS version & feature set you'd need for the CCNA:Security (to support Zone Based Firewalls).

Even if the 1701s are running an IOS from back in the stoneage, they might still have some use as "hosts" (as long as they support IP) -- configure an IP address, disable ip routing, and enable the default gateway.

The 1701s did have 64Meg DRAM and 32Meg Flash "fixed" -- with an additional DRAM slot to go up to 128Meg DRAM. You can check the Cisco IOS Feature Navigator to see which IOS versions and Feature Sets were available.

The 3640 are good routers (if you can get your friend to throw in some Network Modules). Maxed memory is 128Meg DRAM and 32Meg Flash -- and they topped out at a 12.4 Enterprise Feature Set which should get you by most things.

The 1760s would be your "go to routers" since they support SDM and 12.4T Security or IP Services IOS (or 12.4 Advanced Enterprise).

Check out the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets for useful router and switch information:
    Portable Product Sheets - Partner Central
    Router Memory, Router Performance, Switch Performance, Modules Cross Reference, etc

Cisco IOS Feature Navigator
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    iyareiyare Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    keep 'em. start that wicked ccie lab!
    CCENT, CCNA(EXPIRED), BS Electrical Engineering (Communications/Optics/Nanotechnology)
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    Had 2 1760s and 3 1721s at the office. Picked the rest up on ebay. Goal will be CCNA Security I am hearing some say go do CCNP first then Security just don’t know if I have time. In an ideal world, what would you add (still looking for bargains)!
    Routers
    3 1721s
    4 1760s

Switches
    1 3550
    4 2950s