prolific adapter = BSOD

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
3 times today. That's the number of times I've had a BSOD while working with my lab. I recently reinstalled windows 7 and this wasn't a problem before I reinstalled. Before the computer shuts off I see something about IRQs. It seems to happen when I console into a router or switch, then wind up removing the usb > serial adapter, then plugging it back in....or leaving it in and consoling into another device.

Is there a common fix for this? I'm about ready to throw this bleeping computer out the window.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've run into the same issue with a handful of USB to Serial adapters using the PL-2303 controller on a few machines. A couple of them were solved with an older driver version but my primary notebook doesn't like any of them with any driver version. Ultimate fix for me on my primary notebook was a ExpressCard Serial card that's an actual serial controller instead of a usb-to-serial bridge.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Never managed to my USB/Serial adapters to constantly work under Windows Vista/7. Had to move to Linux and I am doing alright there.

You might enjoy ssh and the screen command from the bash prompt anyway.
    -Daniel