Options

Taking A+ OS Exam first and only this one.

sumpritsumprit Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

I would like to get into the field of networking and so I have decided to take up the A+ OS technologies exam as this covers the basics of networking and real basics that one should be aware of .

Once I complete this exam will get any completion certificate or transcript as I do not intend to go for the Hardware one.

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    scot_doneckerscot_donecker Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    umm...I don't think you can do that. You wont be A+ certified until you take and pass both exams. Besides the hardware is alot easier to remember, although there is more stuff to cover, than with the O.S. Technologies, so you may as well go for both.

Also this exam is ALOT hader than you think. I know people may say its entry level, but it encompeses the details of pretty much ALL Microsoft Operating Systems and sooo much more. I suggest you try for MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), I think thats prolly more what your looking for anyway. I had friends that took a class for it, and became certified, but you may want to look into it a bit (research MCSE and ask other people on this site about it, I'm sure they could help you out)...I'm just telling you what I know. I could be tottally off too, because I don't know what all MCSE encompasses, I just know my friends learned networking things in it, and its a Microsoft certification, so I would think it would be networking for Microsoft Operating Systems?...just a guess.

Hope this helps and good luck...p.s. I just became A+ certified last week, so if you have any more questions on A+ let me know. I don't give info about the test so don't ask that, but I would be happy to tell you what you would be expecting to learn from A+ (classes like IT Essentials I and the like).
    "If the answer was never to look to yourself, then how can you expect to find it anywhere else" -Eyedea
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Uhh, yeah...you must take and pass both the OS and Core exams to be A+ certified. And I believe the brunt of networking stuff in A+ is only the basics, and common topologies and terms. If you want to learn networking, try starting with Network+, as it concentrates on networks and how they actually work. You will receive no certificate for only passing one exam.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    sumpritsumprit Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I understand that I will not receive any certificate but atleast I can get a transcript which says the passing marks. Correct !
  • Options
    scot_doneckerscot_donecker Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To answer your question yes, you do get a paper for passing, and it shows your score, but it says everything you missed too, not specific questions but the category in which the questions you missed existed. It's not something thats gonna help you out that much, esspecially since it takes a hell of alot of work to even pass one of the tests.

If I was you I would go with Network+ or MCSE, they will be a trillion times better for you, because you can get the full certification in either one of those with only taking ONE test. But if your wanting to take a class on A+, like IT Essentials I, then go for it, but don't half a$$ a certification, it's not going to help you out at all, it may even put you in an even worse place because your employer may think you just didn't want to work hard enough to get the full cert.

But hey man I'm not trying to scare you away from it, I'm just telling you that it's gonna be kinda pointless. Take an IT Essentials class at your local Junior College (Open Entry/Open Exit), and learn the O.S. Technologies, then just put the score of the class on your resume. Don't take the O.S. Technologies test unless your going to take the Hardware test as well and become A+ Certified.

I hope I was able to help.
    "If the answer was never to look to yourself, then how can you expect to find it anywhere else" -Eyedea
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    sumprit wrote:
    I understand that I will not receive any certificate but atleast I can get a transcript which says the passing marks. Correct !

There is little value (from my experience) of only having one test passed. Why not just put a little extra time in and complete the A+. Otherwise, there is not much difference than someone attending college for 2 years, but being 1 class shy of an Associate Degree. Doesn't look good nor is it something that can be placed on the resume.

You can try it, but at my company, it would not carry any weight. FWIW.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?