Contemplating CWTS.. and CWNA later on.

SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
I was wondering how tough the CWNP exams stack up compared to Cisco/Microsoft exams.. (Where as Cisco has Sims/Simlets/Drag & drog/ no going back to previous questions, and Microsoft exams are much more laid back)

I've been working with Wi-Fi technologies for a few years now, initially with a bunch of older Proxim Autonomous AP's, which I am currently migrating to CUWN, with AP1252's and WLC 2100's. (migration is almost complete thank god!)

I've passed the CCNA: Wireless some time ago, but that exam seemed focused on Cisco technology compared to the Wi-Fi technology itself (Antennas, RF, A/H planes, and so forth.)

So I'm currently shifting around for some study guides...
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the CWTS earlier in the year and was very underwhelmed with it. It's a very basic, entry level test.

Looking at your certs, you could probably just skip the CWTS and start on the CWNA
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    So I could actually skip the CWTS and jump right into CWNA. You can tell I use to Cisco with certification levels.

I have been looking through the objections and it does seem fairly basic, I've looked at the CBT Nugget video for the CWTS and it really isn't anything new or advanced. I'll check the CWNA material.

Thanks for your input!
    My Networking blog
  • NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    So I could actually skip the CWTS and jump right into CWNA. You can tell I use to Cisco with certification levels.

I have been looking through the objections and it does seem fairly basic, I've looked at the CBT Nugget video for the CWTS and it really isn't anything new or advanced. I'll check the CWNA material.

Thanks for your input!

I just passed the CWTS yesterday. It's ok. I would say it's way easier than a cisco exam but still harder than a comptia exam. That said I thought the exam was kind of fun. I would take the CWTS first just to build a foundation before starting on the CWNA but that's just me.

edit: Oh and you can't go back on test questions and you do have a few questions with exhibits like cisco but they're nowhere near as hard.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • ITGuyRickITGuyRick Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CWTS is just to get your feet wet. While it was not exactly a challenging exam it was a good introduction for wireless at least in book form. Anyone who admins a wireless network though should be able to pass this one easily but I am hoping it does get more challenging as the material becomes more involved.
    Rick
    Working on: LPIC 1, Next: CWNA, CCNA
    BSIT Capella University (ongoing)
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been studying for the CCNA and I have completed the CWNA and CWSP. The CCNA has a larger variety of questions to deal with like the simlets, sims, multiple choice, multiple select and drag and drop. The CWNA has multiple choice and multiple select. You cannot go back in both tests and both test are very broad.

Overall I think the technical understanding of the CWNA is much deeper but there are no configuration questions so you do not have that to deal with. I find the CCNA technical details much simpler when studying myself. The CWNA is an analytical test where you have to know the material and apply the knowledge. So I would put it on par with the CCNA in difficulty and breadth.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    That's good to know. Thanks for the insight!

My employer actually pays for my certification tests. (Only reason I'm getting these certs lol)

I think I'll go for the CTWS just because I can (and to experience the CWNP test style), then follow-up with the CWNA. After all if CTWS is basics of Wi-Fi it shouldn't be much of a problem at all for me.

Which books did you use for the CWTS the official guide, Learnkey, or something else?
    My Networking blog
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the Study Guide from Sybex. It really did a good job of covering the topics.

I also used the exams questions available from their website
    Learnkey's Onlineexpert videos which are pretty good for the CWNA but not as good for the CWSP.

Sybex official study guide and CWNA/CWSP All-in-One Study Guide.

The Official SG is great for teaching the material and the test but if you have some technical questions it does not answer the AIO SG is helpful. Remember that the 802.11-2007 document is free to view from the IEEE website just be warned it is 1200 pages of TECHNICAL documentation.
    Degrees:
    Just got the CWTS Sybex book, So I will be skimming through that.

Also got the CBT Nuggets and the course from PrepLogic... Now I just gotta buckle down.

Lately I have been leaning towards video course (since I have been using PrepLogic) but I still miss the good old fashioned books.
    My Networking blog
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can get the books for the CWTS, CWNA, and CWSP (along with practice test) for 100 bucks
    CWNP
    I really thought the onlineexpert.com videos for CWNA were outstanding but for CWSP I would pass. As it has been said if you can order the books from the CWNP website you will receive the practice tests. In addition when you register an account with CWNP you get free videos of 802.11n.
    Degrees:
    You can get the books for the CWTS, CWNA, and CWSP (along with practice test) for 100 bucks
    CWNP

Wow that's a sweet deal, I'll have to try and get my employer to pay for that! Hopefully they won't be upset they just purchased the CWTS book but it's still a great deal. I assume by Practice test I assume they mean more practice test then what come with the CD's in the books?

I'll be shooting for the CWTS in mid-December, should be a good deadline for me.
    My Networking blog
    Yes they are in addition to the ones in the book. I did not like many of the practice tests in the books because they had some questions that were wrong and others that did not reference where the answer was in the text so I could learn where I went wrong.

You can tell two different groups wrote the book and the questions on the CD because even the language is different. I have heard good things of the practice tests that are from CWNP website which are the ones you receive if you buy the books from them.
    Degrees:
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Wow that's a sweet deal, I'll have to try and get my employer to pay for that! Hopefully they won't be upset they just purchased the CWTS book but it's still a great deal. I assume by Practice test I assume they mean more practice test then what come with the CD's in the books?

I'll be shooting for the CWTS in mid-December, should be a good deadline for me.

I just got my books. I ordered them not too long ago. I think I am going to load balance CWTS into my current studies even though I know I am not taking the CWTS exam. I have heard the CWTS book is a good read as in intro to the CWNA book.
    Well, been through the book a few times.. Got almost a 90% on both the CWTS tests on CWNP's site.. Guess I'm about ready for this one here.

How does the test on CWNP's site line up with the actual test similar question style? I'm pretty anxious to take this exam ASAP.. (Just can't decide whether I want to leave work early or come in late icon_lol.gif )

Between the holidays and other stuff going I've been delaying any testing.
    My Networking blog
    You have studied long enough and matched with the already competent certification knowledge I see under your profile you should knock the test out of the park.
    Degrees:
    Yea you guys were right I should have just skipped it lol.

Passed 90% I'm surprised I didn't score higher... but I found a few questions to be worded very poorly.. I left various comments on multiple questions....

Funny we posted at the same time. (I just got back from the testing center when I posted this)
    My Networking blog