Have you ever gone onto another certification after failing a exam?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I just failed 70-433 and I was about 180 points from passing so it wasn't a complete over match, but I wasn't close either. I was wondering if maybe going for some low hanging fruit to get the confidence back up and then going head first back into the 70-433 material would be recommended. Obviously this could be for any exam, I was just using my experience as the example.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you'd be better off striking while the iron is hot. It would be easier to brush up on your weak points and retake now rather than having to brush up on everything again in the future.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just a thought but returning to an exam after an extended period of time may be detrimental. You'll have to restudy a lot of material that is fresh in your mind now instead of just improving on your weak areas.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks guys that's the reassurance I needed. I am going to read that big fat azz book again and get back into it.

Thanks for reassurance you guys are the best.
    Cyber

Thanks brother
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    No. I've only failed one, and I intensified my focus until it was conquered. Like they said, NEVER give up. You'll lose the valuable time spent studying if you move on too fast in my opinion. Strike while the iron is hot.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    After taking the Microsoft 659 beta, I didn't feel confident that I passed, so I quickly took the 652 and easily passed. When I got my 659 results, I failed by a small margin, but as the 652 also satisfied the MCITP: VA requirement, I didn't bother retaking the 659.

The problem was mainly study material. There was no study guide for 659 when it was still beta, so I used the Sybex book for 652. It was great for the 652, but not quite enough for the 659. I later read Mastering Microsoft Virtualization, which was enough for the rest of the MCITP: VA (and likely the 659), as well as 70-403 (MS really needs to do a MCITP for the System Center products).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gotta agree with everyone, I've tried this once and I never went back to retake the exam I failed.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you fail a test and move on it might be years before you come back to it. I failed the A+ test back in 2007 and didn't come back to it until 2010.
    I failed the CCNA last year, not sure when i'll come back to it since it wasn't even a close score... but I did just get CCENT last month.

Anyway, If your 180 points away and set the test aside, your most likely going to set it aside for longer than you think.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The only thing losing does is make me mad.

If something knocks you on your ass, get back up and return the favor. Doing anything else is a cop out, and is no way to get ahead in life.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Failing once is nothing. But if you keep failing the same thing you need to acknowledge something is wrong and reassess the situation.

When studying for the MCSE, I failed 70-291 many, many times. I had to stop because the losing game wasn't changing. I started on and passed 70-294, 70-284 and ITIL Foundations. It was then I discovered TestOut which just happened to be the best training package I'd seen for MCSE. Everything suddenly made sense and I passed 70-291 really easily.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I stick with the current exam I'm studying for even if I failed it till I finish the fight. Then I move forward to next cert!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree with the other posts. Work on the areas you had trouble with and you'll get it the next time.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I failed the CCNA security test, found out it was the areas that mostly seemed like they were Security+ type items and so I started working on Security+. I'll circle back around after I finish that. Two birds...
    I decided to be a coward and focus on a few other certifications and here is why.

First of all according to MS you should have 2-3 years experience in the job field working primarly with database. I don't, I use a database editor to pull reports and test data. That is it, I don't create stored procedures etc. I am thinking that I shouldn't take this exam after all. I don't want to be a paper champ.

So I think I am going to bang out some low hanging fruit that I have been eyeing down. I failed Project + 2003 about a years ago and it's always bothered me so I think I might reread the book and try for that. There are a few others I am deciding on also.

Thanks again for everyones input.
  • MattMcNabbMattMcNabb Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Last year I failed the 294 and then went on to pass the A+ (required for work) and when I came back to the 294 I got an 812. I would definitely take other's advice to strike while the iron is hot, but to me this means just not setting it aside completely. Definitely don't wait a few years to retake.
    “It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    MattMcNabb wrote: »
    I would definitely take other's advice to strike while the iron is hot, but to me this means just not setting it aside completely. Definitely don't wait a few years to retake.

Exactly. If you don't ever go back to it, it means you didn't really want it enough in the first place. I did that with SQL; couldn't even make to exam stage.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Exactly. If you don't ever go back to it, it means you didn't really want it enough in the first place. I did that with SQL; couldn't even make to exam stage.

Don't get me wrong I love using SQL and I am pretty good at it as well. I create reports and run multitable joins and other DML techniques.

I think you can continue to use the tool and learn the sub language without getting certified.

I'm like that with Excel too. I am pretty damn good at Excel, I don't look to get a certification in it when 2010 comes up.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The important thing is that you have experience with it for the resume (without lying..lol) so now it's just a matter of deciding whether to put in the extra work to pass and get the cert or not. I still think that IF you decide to get the cert you should do it now instead of later.
    It can't be stated enough, and it's been stated A LOT on TE, that experience trumps certs.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    The important thing is that you have experience with it for the resume (without lying..lol) so now it's just a matter of deciding whether to put in the extra work to pass and get the cert or not. I still think that IF you decide to get the cert you should do it now instead of later.
    It can't be stated enough, and it's been stated A LOT on TE, that experience trumps certs.

Glad you chimed in.

In all seriousness the exam contents is an overkill. IMO they would be thinking they are getting someone I am not. Triggers, Stored procedures, XML are all apart of the testing material, I do none of them. I'm not saying I think your job function should match the training material 100%. But when evaluating what I do it's more like 15-20% of the material. The other 80% I don't use ever.
  • ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Nope. Only ever failed 1 cert though, the JLPT Level 1. If I had just moved on, I would've wasted more time in the future brushing up to take it again.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Yes, in a sense.

I took the Microsoft certs out of order, 70-270, 70-291, and then I failed 70-299.

I practically memorized the book for 70-299. I was heartbroken, but not defeated. I went on to pass 70-290 and Security+ and stopped.

I may return to 70-299, but at the moment I'm a network administrator and I work with Cisco and Juniper. I do not touch Microsoft.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
    ssampier wrote: »
    Yes, in a sense.

I took the Microsoft certs out of order, 70-270, 70-291, and then I failed 70-299.

I practically memorized the book for 70-299. I was heartbroken, but not defeated. I went on to pass 70-290 and Security+ and stopped.

I may return to 70-299, but at the moment I'm a network administrator and I work with Cisco and Juniper. I do not touch Microsoft.

Makes sense

I ended up doing Project + and passing. I might return it just depends. Regardless, I still use SQL and enjoy it.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Glad you found your groove.

I can't speak for 70-433. I was frustrated with the the other MS tests (70-270, 70-290, 70-291) because the tested materials weren't necessarily in the book. I learned as much, if not more, from Microsoft Tech Net articles as the official MS press books.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I almost hate to admit but it is what it is, when I was going through school studying for my MCSA, the 70-291 kicked me down 3 times before I passed.. I just kept at it.

First time I took my CCNA I failed that by 18 or so points, that really sucked right there..

(Hell when I was first learning IT, the A+ was the first test I ever took, being young and naive I scheduled both the OS and Hardware tests on the same day, passing the hardware and failing the OS.. I will never schedule 2 exams on the same day again.)

But hey taking tests back then use to freak me out, I mean I would get nervous.. after a while you will get use to it.

But as many have said you got to keep at it.. Plus whether you pass or fail it's not really going to matter in the long run, it's the price of we do. We take a certification test knowing the risk we pass great job possible room for advancement, we fail.. get right back up and tackle it again.

I may have failed my CCNA test, but in the years since then I've gotten a few other Cisco certs and I'm a network analyst managing a bunch of sites..

So failing a test will suck but you can't let it effect you too much.. Just try and learn from the experience. icon_smile.gif

(But no I never moved onto another Cert after failing a test, not even the 79-291 after failing that 3 times)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed ICND2 and moved on to CCNA Security. It was more of a budget thing than a giving up thing though. It was the end of the year and I wanted to get the costs of CCNA:S material and the test on the training budget at the end of the year to keep the following year as open as possible. I passed it and went back and got ICND2 after.
    :study:
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've failed an exam twice in a row before passing it the third time...it is the only time I've failed an exam in the MS track (MCSE...knock on wood) but I just keep cracking. I do not really like changing interests right in the middle of something if you know what I mean
    RomBUS wrote: »
    I've failed an exam twice in a row before passing it the third time...it is the only time I've failed an exam in the MS track (MCSE...knock on wood) but I just keep cracking. I do not really like changing interests right in the middle of something if you know what I mean

Makes sense. I think your intentions were more on par and aligned with your path. I think mine are a little scattered so that's why I backed off. But then I go get Project + which is equally rediculous, because I am in operations / Day to Day not project management lol. I think I need to pump the breaks big time.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just stop certifications and just learn the technology lol