Options

Anyone have lawyer friends?

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey everyone,

Anyone know of any law firms or have any lawyer friends that are hiring?? Trying to help wifey find a job in this horrible market.

Specifically looking on the east coast (CT down to SC).

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hey everyone,

Anyone know of any law firms or have any lawyer friends that are hiring?? Trying to help wifey find a job in this horrible market.

Specifically looking on the east coast (CT down to SC).

Is she a lawyer?

Or looking to work for a lawyer? Because if she is an attorney, why doesn't she try working her own cases?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
  • Options
    Last semester of law school.

Yep, that would be a problem to start her own thing ;)

Has she tried something like job shadow or such to at least get a foot in the door? Offer to work for free and 'learn the ropes' while keeping her school schedule a priority. At this point, experience would trump no work (and I suspect she'd enjoy a paycheck, but long-term it could prove fruitful!)

And sorry, I don't have attorney friends that far east icon_sad.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    No worries the advice and reply is always appreciated icon_smile.gif

Shes been on a few interviews, but everyone in her class is having a hard time. There are literally no jobs out here. I feel bad because it has to be hard to work through law school and have such a rough time getting employment afterward.
  • Options
    No worries the advice and reply is always appreciated icon_smile.gif

Shes been on a few interviews, but everyone in her class is having a hard time. There are literally no jobs out here. I feel bad because it has to be hard to work through law school and have such a rough time getting employment afterward.

Well, I know several people who have had jobs and lost them recently and some who gratuated in the last 5-6 years and couldn't handle the work load while preparing for the bar. It is a LOT of work, but that will be what puts her over-the-top!

Tell her to keep at it! Obviously, work with the profs and placement office for ideas or leads (bug them!!) but also try something different from what all the OTHER applicants are doing and try the reverse deal of "I'll work for free for 'x' week(s) and you and I can both see if this is a good fit." This takes the burden of training time off the prospective firm and also gets her a chance (if one accepts) to see what she will be getting in. She'll likely have to push to be different from ALL the rest. It seems that prospective law students graduating is as bad as prospective CPA's nearly 20 years ago...so keep plugging away!

I know several acquaintences in Chicago who have been let go over the past 2 years, so Chicago is pretty heated with competition too! Likely being good, cheap and willing to be a scrapper will be a PLUS at this time.

The payoff will likely show in the next few years, so if this is what she wants, tell her to hang on and GO FOR IT! (always nice to have a supportive husband so good work to you as well for supporting her efforts! :) ).
    Plantwiz
    _____