How good are the CCNA CBTNuggets?

raptur2000raptur2000 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was thinking about using the CCNA CBTNuggets to study for the CCNA exam. I already have some networking experience (CLI and SDM). Are they any good? I have been reading the Lammle Sybex book and I also have the Odom ICND1&2 book (Super dry reading). I learn a whole lot better with visuals and interaction, but didn't want to foot the bill on a bootcamp. Do you think the CBTNuggets will suffice being that I am trying to take the exam before the end of March? Yes? No? Advice?

Comments

• try2pingittry2pingit Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the CBT Nuggets CCNA videos are awesome. Jeremy Cioara does a great job teaching the material. It's not dry, it's some fun learning so you won't fall asleep. He breaks down the concepts and shows the details on the CLI while keeping your attention all the way through. I'm a visual person as well, and this did so much good for me! There's a part there that he curses Microsoft for not having telnet built into vista's command prompt icon_lol.gif Best of all, the CBT Nuggets single license for a month is only $199. Even the year subscription sounds awesome, you could get a hold of all of their videos for $1599. This is better then taking college courses if you ask me. So if you get a hold of these videos and supplement with the Sybex, that'll fire it up.

Here's a link to Jeremy explaining CCVP concepts:
    YouTube - Tina Shakour and Jeremy Ciora talk CCVP Certification

That'll get you familiar with the Instructor and his teaching style.
    --WGU BSIT Transcript Evaluation for June '11--
    Transferred In: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, INC1,
    INT1, IWT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, LET1, WFV1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1
    Required: EWB2, ORC1, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, WDV1, WSV1
    ==================
    >> Applied to Polytechnic Institute of NYU: M.S. CyberSecurity & M.S. Telecommunications Networks for fall '11.
    (I'm willing to go the CyberSecurity route if I get the DoD IA Scholarship, if not I'll do Networks)
  • cspstercspster Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree they are awesome. When combined with lammle and odom books the videos are great for bringing it all together.
  • raptur2000raptur2000 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FYI. I just started watching the CBTNuggets and I am LOVING them so far! They are very clear, concise, and easy to take notes to. Thanks for the advice.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    only half way thru the CCENT vids, good so far and been staying awake :D
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jeremy is one motivating guy :) He knows his stuff and makes training fun!
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Just finished the CBTs for ICND1...loved it.

I've suffered through a few other people teach subnetting - he's the best.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I love the cbt nuggets. I have a few videos left from the first CD. I'm using them along with the cisco acad. At this point I wish I had saved my money on the acad and just did the videos and book. Take notes as you watch them. I copied the commands down and setup my lab like his.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    CBT Nuggets is very good, but don't make it you only method of study. If you combine it with the Sybex or Cisco Press books, you be fine. :)
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    wbosher wrote: »
    CBT Nuggets is very good, but don't make it you only method of study. If you combine it with the Sybex or Cisco Press books, you be fine. :)

yah i heard it doesnt have enough depth. so im going thru these once then ill start reading my odom books :)
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    Jeremy is amazing and provide entertainment material, definitely dont rely on this as your only resource.... i used to watch CBT after i completed a chapter using other books or if i am too tired to pickup a book.

i think the CCNA CBT were made famous because of Jeremy and not the content, he is an amazing dude
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Jeremy also has an awesome writing style too.. I read some of the chapters in the CCNA Voice book from Cisco Press and it was just like watching his videos!
  • str1derstr1der Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are the pdf files that Jeremy refers to no longer available? On the
    DVDs he refers to documents at nuggetlabs.com but when I go there it says no files found.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I could not find them either. What I did was write down the problems on the screen. The subnet calc on TE works great to verify your work. I also took screen shots of the video and printed it out to show the network diagram before setting up my equipment.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
    I was looking for the one he references near the end of the third subnetting video entitled "subnetting examples" right before the great exception. Anyone have that PDF?
  • Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    I really liked the Nuggets vids but in my opinion, it is not enough. You have to supplement the videos with reading and lab.

I did not read any books. I just watched the Trainsignal Vids for the ICND1&2 and practiced on my home lab. Let me know if you are interested and I can get you more information on the videos.
    Eating humble pie.
  • SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's like attending a live classroom course - it's never deep enough to pass an exam. It helps a lot to have someone explain the concepts first before grabbing a book. When you read the book, you get more detailed explanations of something you've been taught before, so it makes it easier to absorb the smaller details.
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They are good, but very very light in many areas that you will need to know to pass the exam. I think he targets the more complicated aspects and expects the viewers to learn the other parts on their own.

If you are just reading through books to learn on your own these would definitely help a lot of concepts make much more sense. I wouldn't, however, equate this to a classroom course at all, certainly not a CCNA Academy Course.
  • Jas21Jas21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think the thing you have to remember about the CBT Nuggets is they are just that, quick hits of info - good as a briefing, and as a refresher, but not intended to be the be all and end all of the subject.

They are def worth it though. PM me if you need the subnettingexamples .pdf files mentioned in the vids emailed
    Jas21 wrote: »
    I think the thing you have to remember about the CBT Nuggets is they are just that, quick hits of info - good as a briefing, and as a refresher, but not intended to be the be all and end all of the subject.

They are def worth it though. PM me if you need the subnettingexamples .pdf files mentioned in the vids emailed

I can't find any option to PM you.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can just download the PDF from The Cisco Learning Network. It's got Jeremy's CBTnuggets email address in it, so I'm guessing that's the one.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6014
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You can just download the PDF from The Cisco Learning Network. It's got Jeremy's CBTnuggets email address in it, so I'm guessing that's the one.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6014

Thanks that's the one I was looking for.