Wireless N router + ADSL WAN port

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
Anybody have a recommendation for a wireless N router with a built in ADSL port? I really want to avoid having to buy a ADSL modem and putting a router behind it.

I found Netgear RangeMax DGN3500 on amazon. Looks like a decent router, but I'm open for any advice.
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

• edge81edge81 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    Anybody have a recommendation for a wireless N router with a built in ADSL port? I really want to avoid having to buy a ADSL modem and putting a router behind it.

I found Netgear RangeMax DGN3500 on amazon. Looks like a decent router, but I'm open for any advice.

I purchased this router in 6 weeks ago and it hasn't missed a beat. It is on 24/7. I use a desktop and NAS box connected via cable and a laptop and PS3 connect wirelessly. I get full signal at the end of my house over 25meters away and through 7 or 8 walls. I needed to update the firmware as the default one had connections issues with my ISP here in Australia.

Performance for moving files is pretty good as I get around 20-25MB/sec.

My first post since joining a few years ago, so hope it helps :)
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    I have the Linksys WAG320N.
    Wireless N, gigabit ethernet ports and ADSL. Built in QOS, USB port for storage sharing, and syncs up 1mb faster than my Netgear did. Works a treat.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Its not what you want but I've never found the all in one integrated boxes to actually be any good. Every single one I've used so far has had some major flaw or bug. The old Netgear and D-Link boxes were awful for just randomly crashing or completely dying.

You also get a bit more flexibility regarding the AP as the standalone APs with or without router functionality tends to also have support from the third party firmware builds like DD-WRT or OpenWRT.

At the moment I'm using the ISP supplied Huawei VDSL modem as its part of the contract, a Mikrotik 450G as a PPPoE client + router and a Cisco 1252 as the AP but thats an unusual setup.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    After some research it looks like the best wireless home routers don't have a ADSL port built into them. Looks like it's time to buy a DSL modem, put it in a L2 bridge mode, and hook it up to a nice wireless N router. Now the question is if it's necessary to replace all my FE switches with GE switches.

Also, I've been looking at the Linksys E4200 or the TRENDnet TEW-691GR. Both seem to be pretty decent wifi routers, although the TRENDnet is about 80$ cheaper...
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender