How difficult is it to install a version of RH on MS virutal PC

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was wondering if it would work and if so would it recognize the devices on your machine like the ethernet card and printer.

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never used MS Virtual PC for it but I have used VirtualBox and VMware Workstation and it works fine there. So if it does not pan out with MSVPC there are other options.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Never used MS Virtual PC for it but I have used VirtualBox and VMware Workstation and it works fine there. So if it does not pan out with MSVPC there are other options.

Thanks for the response.

I am using a 32 bit Vista OS at the moment. I'll give Vmware a shot if MS VPC doesn't work. Thanks!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    VirtualBox and VMware Workstation both work great. I would also recommend them as well if MS Virtual PC doesn't work. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I was wondering if it would work and if so would it recognize the devices on your machine like the ethernet card and printer.
    If you mean will the VM/guest recognize the physical devices on your host, then the answer is no. Virtualization adds a layer of abstraction between the host and guest, so guests do not see most of the physical devices. That is actually one thing that makes virtualization so powerful... a virtualized OS installed in a VM is not "tied" to physical hardware, so you can easily migrate VMs to different hosts without the migration affecting the OS.

The main thing to consider is if an OS will recognize the virtual devices presented to VMs. For most hypervisors, those devices are typically chosen specifically for compatibility, so there should be no problem. Further, even if some devices are not recognized by an OS, if the OS is supported by the hypervisor, drivers will be available as part of a "tools", "extensions", or "additions" package (name varies by hypervisor).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This should not matter unless you are running programs that have to directly talk to the hardware. If you are just using the VM suite to learn how to use the OS or its products in a production setting you should be fine. If you are trying to read and modify wireless frames you could run into some problems.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
    I think you should be learning to use VMware anyways.
    I have personally installed Redhat/CentOS and other linux server distros in vmware player, workstation, and oracle virtualbox.
    works great! goodluck.
    nerd power.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When I first got into virtualization I was in the Microsoft Virtual PC world also and tried getting Linux on there. It will work. I mean, it doesn't realize it's not on hardware. From what I remember it didn;t detect the video right. So I had to install it in text mode and manually configure the video.

You are better of with VirtualBox though.
    -Daniel