Is anybody else getting spam email from emails in their contacts list?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
A while back on my hotmail account I started getting spam email from one email in my contact list. Just today I started getting spam email from another email in my contact list. I"m beginning to wonder if a spammer somehow got a hold of my contact list or one of my friend's contact list.

UPDATE: I looked at the originating IP address and it was apparently send from Thailand.

Comments

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I've avoided hotmail like the plague for years.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Some of your contacts probably have some kind of trojan on their PC that is spamming their contact list. Enjoy. GMAIL, HOTMAIL, and YAHOOMAIL are notorious for this.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I have been getting SPAM from PrepLogic icon_sad.gif non-stop it quite literally has caused me to no longer use their training. I have unsubscribed, but still get some updates...oh well ive created a rule so they end up in the junk folder.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Some of your contacts probably have some kind of trojan on their PC that is spamming their contact list. Enjoy. GMAIL, HOTMAIL, and YAHOOMAIL are notorious for this.
    It started when I signed up for Yahoo's social features. Before that I didn't have that kind of problem. Although contacts are the same. So I'd disagree that those contacts have trojan, and would guess that my contacts' contact list somehow became available to malicious robots once they turned on social features.
    In my case, this is only with Yahoo and haven't had that problem on gmail and hotmail, although truth be told, I don't have as many contacts on those accounts.
    My other guess is that chances of spam from trusted contacts increases when you reference your own email addresses from different providers to one another.
  • jimmy1829jimmy1829 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tell your contacts to change their passwords