2k3 versus 2k9 version

motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
I have read some of the threads, not sure if anyone has asked this particular question. I plan on attending WGU in the next couple of months, and Project+ is on the list of needed certs. I would like to get it out of the way prior to enrolling. I have put my MCSE on hold until I get this one taken, it's worth 6 CU's, and want to transfer in as many as I can.

My quesiton to you is there a major difference between 2k3 and 2k9 versions? I know that the passing score is lower for the 2k3, but quite a few posters have said the pass rate has been lower than the 2k9 version. It appears that Sybex and Labsim are the best sources for this test? The 2k3 retires at the end of March, so I am just trying to get some feedback as to which version to take. Thanks!

So much for saying I was never going to take another Comptia test, LOL!
-WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!

Comments

• eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having taken both I can say the 2k3 was alot harder then the 2k9. WGU will not transfer in the 2k3 version even if it is within the 5 year window. There isn't a labsim for it but reading the Sybex book is the best way to go to pass.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eansdad wrote: »
    Having taken both I can say the 2k3 was alot harder then the 2k9. WGU will not transfer in the 2k3 version even if it is within the 5 year window. There isn't a labsim for it but reading the Sybex book is the best way to go to pass.

Exactly.

@motogpman,

To add to that, in addition to the Sybex 2009 guide (PK0-003), uCertify was very instrumental in helping me out. I believe they did update their cert pack. It is my hope the English improved, but if you can get passed that, it did help me pass this exam within 2 weeks of study. [I was already familiar with project management before I sat for this exam though...]

If you won't (or can't) use text-to-speech for the Sybex guide, then before you start reading it, have a fresh POT of coffee besides you...you're gonna need it. :) I was very fortunate to have this feature on my Kindle...
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Thanks fellas! I haven't had much time to read all the posts here in this section, thanks for not beating me up about it. Now that I am moving forward with WGU, I want to get all my ducks in a row and your feedback is very helpful. I'll use the 2k9 versions then.

And to think, I went to the doc today to get something to help me sleep, LOL. Sounds like I will be able to study for this and get some much needed rest. Funny thing about the 2k3 version and time, they accepted my 1999 A+ requirements, but won't accept a cert for 2k3, even if it's still avalable....which is odd. Did they say why they wouldn't accept the 2k3 version ean?

I was looking at the PMP cert, looks like it's hard to obtain, due to the requirements of a 4 year degree and project management experience, so this is going to be the route.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    motogpman wrote: »
    And to think, I went to the doc today to get something to help me sleep, LOL. Sounds like I will be able to study for this and get some much needed rest. Funny thing about the 2k3 version and time, they accepted my 1999 A+ requirements, but won't accept a cert for 2k3, even if it's still avalable....which is odd. Did they say why they wouldn't accept the 2k3 version ean?

I'm guessing it's because since 2009 is now available, they pretty much used that to supersede the 2003. A good thing too, because reading the past posts in the WGU community about folks passing the 2003, it wasn't by very much.

I regret not breaking 800 on this exam, but *bleep* it, a pass is a pass.

And in a another month, the issue becomes moot; 2009 will be the only exam that is available for Project+.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    motogpman wrote: »
    they accepted my 1999 A+ requirements,

How did you get them to do that? They ususally don't except certs older then 5 years.