PDI+ why take it

andygeeandygee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is now at least one very large Printer and copier manufactuer going to be an exam that a new tech would be expected to study and pass.

As i mentioned in another thread if you get the chance to study this exam as one of the all round IT admins i see particularly in the smaller compannies. It will help you solve many problems with out calling in the service company and have a better understanding of what they do. Less downtime more time to get on with other things.

Im sure many entry level I.T techs need to be jack of all trades so may be a good plus in an interview. or one a CV.

Comments

• CopierQueenCopierQueen Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any certification isn't well known when it is first launched, but it is amazing how many copier manufacturers know about PDI+. There is one that I know of that will accept PDI+ as satisfying the pre-requisite for their basic product training courses. If you work for a multi-line dealer that could save a lot of time!
    I never give up. I never give in. And I don't take "no" for an answer.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I think many copier/printer manufacturers know about PDI+ because they were heavily involved in its creation. CompTIA wants to be the go-to cert provider for both major and niche technology industries.
  • djyoxdjyox Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've got to be honest, I really am thinking about this cert. My current company I work for has mostly computer/network problems, however printer/copier problems do come up, and I'm helpless. I do wonder if I could breath life into some dead printers if I had a better understanding of them.
    Taking:
    Network+ - 6May2011
    2011/2012 Goals:
    CCNA / CISSP
    Books & Videos:
    CBT Network+
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    If your company has a service contact for repairing/replacing copiers/printers then you shouldn't bother. But if you have a lot of out-of-warranty equipment that not under a service contract, you might be able to build a case that your employer should pay for your training and cert because of all the money you could save doing your own repairs.
  • djyoxdjyox Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very good point. This is actually what I was thinking. I believe the only thing that can get serviced right now is our copier.
    Taking:
    Network+ - 6May2011
    2011/2012 Goals:
    CCNA / CISSP
    Books & Videos:
    CBT Network+