Sitting for my CCNA, Network+, maby CCDA

Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
Hey guys im sitting for my CCNA, Network+ on August 8 (monday). Incase I don't pass I have the entire week off of work so I can retake it on Saturday. If anyone of you didn't know Cisco now makes you wait 5 days between retakes (formall 3 days).

I hope I do well, it has been very hard for me to study (being that I work 6 days a week 55hrs a week as a truck driver, but it pays the bills :-\ )

If anyone has any tips for me please feel free :)

I have Boson Netsim for CCNP, Sybex CCNA w/ Network simulator and Cisco CCNA Press.

I Have transender test simulator. I usually score 100% on LAN Technology/Design portion. My weak area is configuring switches and remember the command line differences between a 1900 and a 2950 series switches. ISDN is also a weak area as of right now.

I plan on studying every week day for 4hrs a day switchin between reading one day and simulators the next day. Next Saturday I am schedual to study for 8 hrs and 16 hours on Sunday.

If I pass my CCNA on Monday I will take the Network+ on Tuesday (should be a breeze compaired to CCNA.) If I pass that on Tuesday I may sit for my CCDA (im scared of that test I have read many angry messages here regarding it hehe) on that Saturday.

And man....just passing each test the first time will still cost me $550 in one week :-\

Anyone have any tips please share!
Thanks everyone!

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Well, the only one that I have experience with is Network+. But I would think that with all of that networking study, you should know everything you need for Net+, plus a lot more. The key to Net+ is to read every question very carefully. You will have plenty of time, so use it. You will have a lot of real-life scenarios to enterpret, so you need to be sure to sift out the info that applies to solving the problem.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best of luck.

Remain calm, make sure you have a good sleep before the test day, get to the testing site early. Then stretch, focus and nail it icon_wink.gif

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    Yeah this is my first time actually sitting for a Cisco exam. Im not setting my hopes to high for the first attempt, never have taken a Cisco exam before so I have to get a feel to know what it is like.

When taking exams, what method do you guys prefer?

Do you eliminate the wrong answeres first then choose from what is left?

Or is their another method I do not know about?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Cisco's exams are pretty straightforward, and although there are often multiple seemingly correct answers of which you'll have to eliminate the incorrect ones, the questions usually do not contain that much text as MS exams for example (except CCDA). It's often the level of detail that makes it difficult.

Good luck!
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Fu Loser wrote:
    Do you eliminate the wrong answeres first then choose from what is left?

You can't go wrong if you do it that way! I found that to be the easiest way to do it with Cisco tests.

Best of luck to you!
    thanks for the input guys! hopefully everything goes well then I can move right into my CCNP/CCIP studies!
  • ccnacertifyccnacertify Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you sit on Monday, and fail, you cannot take the retest Saturday. I had the same situation set up, failed the CCNA, and tried to reschudule. It is AFTER the FULL 5 days per Cisco Training and Certification department. So unless your testing center is open Sunday, you will have to wait until Monday.
  • QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    Wish you the best of luck. You mentioned you studied for the Cisco exam but have you studied for the Net+ exam? They do ask an entirely different subset of questions where they do overlap on basics... TCP/ IP and cabling... but if I remember my exam... they do also ask general OS commands to setup networking and IPs. I havent taken my Net+ in awhile but Net+ is its own monster.

A recommendation, that works for me, is to go out of your way and purchase the Audio series for Cisco. What level you are learning... they have a Audio series (a set of CDs for CCNA/ NP and so on...) so you can listen while you drive. I have a job that makes me go between customer sites alot and that helps out tremendously while I am driving instead of listening to music.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
    If you sit on Monday, and fail, you cannot take the retest Saturday. I had the same situation set up, failed the CCNA, and tried to reschudule. It is AFTER the FULL 5 days per Cisco Training and Certification department. So unless your testing center is open Sunday, you will have to wait until Monday.

Now five full days. That would mean if i took the test on Monday at 8am. Then i would have to wait intill Saturday at 8am correct? Thats 5 consecutive 24hr time frames.

QUIX0TIC you mention audio. What company? I have had Net+ training. But when I finished the class I had went on vacation andcame back right into CCNA training. I have not had a chance to take the Net+ yet. I was planning on taking it assuming I pass the test on Monday, then I can study for a a few days and take the Network on Sat.

I need to freshen up on my netbios n that crap we all love to hate :D
  • my_id_0308my_id_0308 Member Posts: 171
    All the best to ya.
    For Network+, just go thru each answer carefully..you will do great just believe in yourself!!!
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    they have a Audio series (a set of CDs for CCNA/ NP and so on...) so you can listen while you drive. I have a job that makes me go between customer sites alot and that helps out tremendously while I am driving instead of listening to music.

I would like to know as well, I am on the road for the next 6 months or so and we are doing some serious driving to sites when its cheaper than airfare.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
    To clarify something.

I was told by Bryant from The Bryant advantage on the Cisco forums that in order to reschedual a test, you need to wait 5 calender days after you take the test. They start counting the calender days the day after you sit for the test.

So if you take Monday, you cannot retake intill Sunday. You cannot take the test on the 5th calender day you wait.

Basically whatever day you sit for the test, add 6 days and thats the day you can reschedual.
    Disclaimer: If a moderator deems this improper... my apologies. I do not work for or have any affilliation with the company that owns this link. I am just supplying information from where I got the audio cds. If you feel that I am wrong... I would like to apologize in advance.

With that said... the link is http://www.globalnettraining.com/ccnaaudiolearning.asp

The CDs are actually based upon the Sybex books and it is a Todd Lammle company. The first 4 Cds are decent because they go over the extreme basics and the last cds go over test questions. I liked it because it gave me the ability to read the book when I was at the hotel room and then listen when I was in the car. I admit... it wasnt everything I was hoping for but it beats me reading into a microphone so I can hear my own voice reading a book!
    I definately dont want to hear myself speaking! Thanks for the link Im gonna check into these CD's.
  • JonesieJonesie Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MP3 anyone? ;)

QUIX0TIC wrote:
    Disclaimer: If a moderator deems this improper... my apologies. I do not work for or have any affilliation with the company that owns this link. I am just supplying information from where I got the audio cds. If you feel that I am wrong... I would like to apologize in advance.

With that said... the link is http://www.globalnettraining.com/ccnaaudiolearning.asp

The CDs are actually based upon the Sybex books and it is a Todd Lammle company. The first 4 Cds are decent because they go over the extreme basics and the last cds go over test questions. I liked it because it gave me the ability to read the book when I was at the hotel room and then listen when I was in the car. I admit... it wasnt everything I was hoping for but it beats me reading into a microphone so I can hear my own voice reading a book!
    David M. Jones
    CompTIA A+ & Net+
    Certified Novell Engineer NetWare 5 & 6
    ^

Oh come on, thats intellectually protected property.

However, if someone made a backup copy and accidently gave me a backup copy for safe keeping, I would kindly oblige and protect it icon_twisted.gif
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
    Regarding MP3... they are on my iPod so of course you can convert .wav files to MP3.
    Ooooff! 150 bones man. Think Ill look on ebay. No way am I going to spend 150 smackers on CD's, and I doubt my work will reimburse me, the dont even reimburse for books anymore because they got us unlimited safaribooksonline.com memberships.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

Ebay. Im sure you can find that backup copy you lost on morpheus or IRC icon_wink.gif