Certifcates ??? which one is the best start off one

tom2011tom2011 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Right i have experience in IT. Build repairing and upgrading pcs and laptops but now i want to get a certifcate.

Right people tell me compTIA A+
Then the microsoft team are telling me MCITP
someone else is telling me MCSE

so i am really confused now and want to get my path sorted

So please can someone set me straight on this one :)

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have actual paid work experience doing PC work that can be entered on a resume then the A+ would probably be irrelevant. If you don't have network troubleshooting/ repair experience then start with the CompTIA Net+ or CCENT/CCNA.Then take the Sec+ (and use THE BOOK) . Even if you don't get these 2 certs then at least study tyhem as if you were going to take the tests. I think that without some network and security knowledge then the MCSE/MCITP would be a stretch.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Knock out the 3 CompTIAs (A, Net and Security.)

Microsoft material/certs would make more sense/be more valuable to you if you've experience in a server/client environment.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Knock out the 3 CompTIAs (A, Net and Security.)

Microsoft material/certs would make more sense/be more valuable to you if you've experience in a server/client environment.

I would agree with this statement. Depending on your level of experience and currently level within your company, the three CompTIA certifications help to build a solid foundation for your career. Once you start to specialize or are working on coporate networks, the Microsoft exams play a greater role in what you do. It all depends on what you are currently doing and what you expect to do in the near future.
  • tom2011tom2011 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the replies so quickly a think that has made me mind up i will do the comptia a+ network + sec + thank you again for taking the time to reply
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    i'd consider where you want to go networking you'd be much better off taking the CCNA then the N+ but only if you wanted to go into a more network side. Sys admin side i'd imagine stuff such as linux + and the microsoft certs would be better.
    dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with sec+,a+ and net+ but if you have a set track in mind they me be unnecessary
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    The A+ will complement and best represent your current skill set. You should be able to knock that out with minimal study.

You have any idea what you want to specialize in? I agree with those that say the CompTIA will set a good foundation if you are still not sure whether to work towards networking, window servers, or security, etc.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    aldous wrote: »
    i'd consider where you want to go networking you'd be much better off taking the CCNA then the N+ but only if you wanted to go into a more network side. Sys admin side i'd imagine stuff such as linux + and the microsoft certs would be better.
    dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with sec+,a+ and net+ but if you have a set track in mind they me be unnecessary

Another set of good points. No reason to take CompTIA if you plan on doing databases and pursuing SQL in your career for example.