HP AIS / ASE Networking Certifications

JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know where I can find information for this certification that is not from the HP website? I'm looking for books but I'm not having much success with this.

I'm seeing that a lot of organizations are buying HP ProCurve products over Cisco products when they are not only concious about price but also keeping their systems standardized and able to adapt to changing network technologies or not being proprietary.

I was wanting to obtain the first level of this networking certification, the HP AIS Networking I believe but the only products I can seem to find are the web based training programs offered by HP and not actual books from Amazon or other sources. Am I missing something?

Comments

• stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I do not believe they have any study resources besides whats on their site already.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Jinuyr wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find information for this certification that is not from the HP website? I'm looking for books but I'm not having much success with this.

I'm seeing that a lot of organizations are buying HP ProCurve products over Cisco products when they are not only concious about price but also keeping their systems standardized and able to adapt to changing network technologies or not being proprietary.

I was wanting to obtain the first level of this networking certification, the HP AIS Networking I believe but the only products I can seem to find are the web based training programs offered by HP and not actual books from Amazon or other sources. Am I missing something?

Most of what you learn in Cisco can be applied to HP pro curves. They are totally different hardware devices but the commands are very similar, what isn't familiar to you can be found in HPs CLI guides. I know a lot of hardcore Juniper guys that are CCNPs because the study material is thorough and abundant. Think of it like learning Red Hat really well, CentOS and even completely different versions of Linux are going to be very familiar.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I heard that a lot of the terminologies between Cisco and HP ProCurve is very different. Does anyone know where I can obtain a full list of these items?

I believe trunking in the world of Cisco is related to VLANs while trunking in HP is aggregating two or more data links together.
    HP have free web based training on their site, go through it and you'll find out the differences

• JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's what I've been using for quite some time now. It's not very detailed however and it just sells a lot of HP products rather than actually teach me something meaningful.
    I got some stuff out of it, mainly that the CLI is quite close, just with a few fundamental differences.

Cisco trunking = HP tagging
    Cisco etherchannel = HP trunking

Rather than defining what VLANs go across a 802.1q trunk/tagged link like Cisco, you go into the VLANs themselves and use the "tagged <port number>" terminology, and also "untagged" if you intend to give it an access VLAN.

Most configuration is done at the VLAN level on their switches (ospf done in the VLAN, not port etc).

I think if you spend a couple of days with them you'd have most of the differences down.

• it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    stuh84 wrote: »
    I got some stuff out of it, mainly that the CLI is quite close, just with a few fundamental differences.

Cisco trunking = HP tagging
    Cisco etherchannel = HP trunking

Rather than defining what VLANs go across a 802.1q trunk/tagged link like Cisco, you go into the VLANs themselves and use the "tagged <port number>" terminology, and also "untagged" if you intend to give it an access VLAN.

Most configuration is done at the VLAN level on their switches (ospf done in the VLAN, not port etc).

I think if you spend a couple of days with them you'd have most of the differences down.

This is a good point - even in cisco world the words "vlan tagging" are thrown around. It should be clear in the HP switch what 'tagging' is. In fact, in many VLAN aware applications they ask for the VLAN tags, not the trunks. It actually makes MORE sense to consider a grouped set of ports a "trunk" opposed to an "ether-channel". Especially considering Cisco is the only company to use "ether-channel" to describe link aggregation or 802.3ad.
    I've seen someone on here say HP was strange for referring to trunks as tagged, and etherchannels as trunks. On the contrary I think Ciscos the weird one as they took defined concepts and used a different name instead.