Couch to Career in 80 hours

peakbagger66peakbagger66 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Surfing my favorite video site, Vimeo, and came across this little bit of inspiration. Perhaps you guys have seen it before.

DojoSec Monthly Briefings - April 2009 - Rob Fuller (mubix) on Vimeo

Nice little talk. Nothing “Zero Day” like he admits. Just common sense as applied to careers. Focus is security but can be applied to any career.
I like the bit where he says “If you don’t love what you do, I hate you”.
LOL.

I emailed the speaker and he indeed thrives on only 3 or 4 hours of sleep. No way I can compete with that!

How much sleep do you guys get? I need at least 6 and half. 7 is my average. 7.5 is my max. Can't seem to do 8 as much as I try.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Surfing my favorite video site, Vimeo, and came across this little bit of inspiration. Perhaps you guys have seen it before.

Nice little talk. Nothing “Zero Day” like he admits. Just common sense as applied to careers. Focus is security but can be applied to any career.
    LOL.

I emailed the speaker and he indeed thrives on only 3 or 4 hours of sleep. No way I can compete with that!

How much sleep do you guys get? I need at least 6 and half. 7 is my average. 7.5 is my max. Can't seem to do 8 as much as I try.

Not everybody loves what they do, nor do they wish to. He should be grateful for that. The job still needs doing by somebody. I don't wish to manage on 3 to 4 hours of sleep. My wife would walk out if I behaved like that anyway. Still it takes all kinds of people ;)
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Good for me that I love my job!

Sheesh when in my late teens until about 24 I could function on 3-4 hours of sleep and have no problem staying up 3 days in a row with no sleep.

Now I'm 28, I start falling asleep at 9:30ish and wake up around 8am. I really think I need about 9-10hrs of sleep to feel rested enough to work. There are exceptions, but still I go to a party on the weekend, and I'm ready to leave by like 11pm. My girl says it's because I'm "old" but I'm not 20 like her haha, she functions great on 3-4hrs of sleep for now... It's also probably due to the fact I've gained 35lbs over the past year... damn relationships!
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For me personally, I have an extemely high metabolism and very low blood pressure, so I'm all go then crash hard. When I crash at around 10pm, I have to sleep for my full 8 hours or I will really, really suffer for it later. And I can't sleep when the sun is up, so I wake up before 7am every day, especially in summer when it can be before 5am... Very frustrating for me and both the girlfriend who is a night owl.
    Consequently I have issues trying to get everything done in a day, but I just work hard at weekends.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I can function off 4-5, but there are peak times where I have to be studying, or doing anything that requires brain power. So when I get come I and decompress. Then I can study from like 730-10. After that I pl7an video games till about 130-2am and then wake up at 7
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I go on about 5-6 hours of sleep but not because I want to. Wife gets up 2 hrs later then I do but she want to spend time at night after the kids go to bed. Then I get up early to think about going to exercise then get the kids ready for school and give my 3 year old a bath. Weekends I'll sleep in till 8am....anyone want to switch.....please.....
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    eansdad wrote: »
    I go on about 5-6 hours of sleep but not because I want to.

Same here, and some days I'm lucky to get that much sleep. With a 3yr and 7month old sleep becomes a luxury.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

LOL.

This video was a little long, but it was really inspiring to hear his experiences and what he did to get where he’s at now. I like how he said make a brand for yourself and get your name out there to everyone. NETWORK..network ..network.
    I think he must have said “Rockstar” And “Awesome” at least 10 times each!!!…hahahhaaha
    I need anywhere from 5-8 hours of sleep a day. I work night shift in a non IT job, so I need a lot of sleep. I sleep in on the weekends. I'm tryingto get an IT job, but it's hard...

Thanks for the video link
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor