Anybody gamers here planning to give RIFT a shot?

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
It's been a while since I've given any MMO a shot, but a friend got me involved in the RIFT beta and after a couple days of play here and there I decided to give it a shot and pre-ordered. Head start begins tomorrow and the US official release is March 1st.

Figured I'm due for some fun time now and then again instead of trying to focus on work, training, and the headaches still lingering in the personal life. The beta was pretty cool, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes after launch.

RIFT - Home

Comments

• sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    I was in the beta, and I quite enjoyed it. I'll be playing.
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Never heard of it, but I'll give it a glance and check it out..

Waiting for DNF here! May 3rd icon_cheers.gif
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Played in a few beta's and enjoyed it. Unfortunately everyone I know is back to playing World of Warcraft so it may be a few months before I pick it up.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i saw it i may give it a go ... the current mmo (eve online) i play is good but ive been playing for 5 years now
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jtoast wrote: »
    Played in a few beta's and enjoyed it. Unfortunately everyone I know is back to playing World of Warcraft so it may be a few months before I pick it up.

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into another one of those MMO's that people play for a few months then head back to WoW. I tried Cataclysm and played a Worgen Druid through to 85 but it just wasn't as enjoyable to me. It's hard to really pinpoint exactly what it is, but even with similar game mechanics I found RIFT to be something I could play and enjoy where WoW to me was enjoyable now and then but overall seemed like a massive tedious grind.

Hopefully RIFT doesn't get that way for me :D
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Buddy of mine up at work suggested it. May give it a shot, I still haven't really taken a look however. Been way to busy.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's hard to really pinpoint exactly what it is

It's the fact that WoW is completely uneventful and lacks originality. The class system has always been really poor as well, but the one thing it does have is the general mmo population. I have played a lot of mmo's (eq, eq2, eve, lotro, aoc, aion, warhammer, a bunch of free to plays) and all of them were a lot more entertaining than WoW. The only reason I started playing WoW was because when I was in the Marines just about every one in my platoon played WoW, so I decided to join with them. I would always be like, hey try this game out it's more fun, and since the majority of them were close minded and generally new to the mmo scene they would decline out of fear for learning a new game or "starting over".

To the original poster, I have tried Rift and it's pretty fun. I pre-ordered in January and played the beta's which was cool. It has a nice mix of a lot of mmo's and doesn't really lack anything in my mind. I do like the random Rift's because it will for sure detour botters a little bit, but I don't know by how much.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    100% going to be in the live/headstart. I was in all betas and this was a fresh breathe of air :)
  • wgc01wgc01 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am playing it, tested it for awhile, Trion has done a nice job, one of the most polished mmo's I have seen in a while, hope the launch goes as well as the testing I have done. I am really looking at Star Wars the Old Republic, I am huge Bioware fan and Star Wars fans, hope we get a good one this time.. :) But the Rift is a great game, I think.. :)
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in the beta. It was ok. Not anything really impressive.

I asked the wife if she wanted to try DDO for free last week. She's kinda hooked now so that's where I'll be wasting my time. I was in the beta for that 5 years ago and this weekend is the 5 year birthday bash.

I like the pay if you want to plan vs subscription. I never know when I'll be too busy to play, with a subscription its easy to throw money away.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Plan on getting it. My only MMO experience has been Guild Wars for a few years and Lord of the Rings for a few months. I am fortunate enough that I don't have to compare every single MMO to WoW all day long.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Stiltz79Stiltz79 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I played WoW for 3 years. I enjoyed it, but my life has changed since I stopped playing in 2009. I got divorced, new girlfriend and found motorcycles. Now I'm never really home.... Go figure.