Options

Best books/videos for the MCSA tests 70-290/70-291?

I'm ready to get the books/videos to begin studying for the MCSA tests 70-290 and 70-291 - both of which cover the Windows Server 2003 technology. I've read that the Microsoft "official" books are rather dry, but I suppose all vendor's books are that way, including Cisco. Is there a book(s) which covers both of these tests which are easy to understand and sufficient for these tests?

Also, what about videos? Any good one out there covering these tests? Any recommendations?

I've gotten a comment or two about possible books in a different post, but I thought I'd put the question front and center here in order to get maximum exposure before I cough up a boatload of money. icon_pale.gif

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm currently using MS Press books and Exam Cram for my book resources in addition to videos from CBT Nuggets. The press books are pretty long but they do have good information in them. It also comes with Server 2003 CD as well which is good for labs and doing questions.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    I'm currently using MS Press books and Exam Cram for my book resources in addition to videos from CBT Nuggets. The press books are pretty long but they do have good information in them. It also comes with Server 2003 CD as well which is good for labs and doing questions.

Do you have a link to the MS books? I've seen a number of books, but I'm not sure which are the "official" MS books for those. Thanks.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    These are the official MS Press books for the tests you're asking about:
    I preferred these to most other material I've seen out there, but the Sybex books for 70-290 and 70-291 are also pretty good. The MS Press books are going to be your best bet for these exams, though.

The video courses you'll want to look into for these exams are from CBT Nuggets. I used them for these exams and I wouldn't have understood the material as well without them, and it would have been much harder to pass.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used for both the MS Press books and videos I used CBT Nuggets and Testout is a good resource and the the links in this forums helped me pass the exam.
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications
    CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
    Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

• Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Slowhand wrote: »
    These are the official MS Press books for the tests you're asking about:
    I preferred these to most other material I've seen out there, but the Sybex books for 70-290 and 70-291 are also pretty good. The MS Press books are going to be your best bet for these exams, though.

Would you recommend learning the 70-290 first, then move on to learning the 70-291 or does it matter? I see from your links that I could get both of these books used for a ridiculously cheap price, which is good news for me.

Also, I read the Sybex book for my CCNA, and it was a good, readable book. Is there one Sybex book which covers both of these 2003 Server tests, or two different books?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'd highly recommend you do 70-290 first, the 70-291 study material assumes a lot of knowledge about Windows Server 2003 that you'll learn in 70-290.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unfortunately you are going to need the Microsoft press and probably the Sybex book. I would recommend topping it off with vtc.com or CBTnuggets also. Finally I would say Transenders' tests.

Good luck!
    -Daniel