Has anybody had any experience with having items shipped to them from China?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I bought a yagi antenna from a China ebay seller at the beginning of the month. He said normally shipping time is 7-14 business days, but due to the Chinese New Year it would be delayed by a few days and arrive at the lasted on the 24th (tomorrow). I loged on to my ebay account and according to the shipping details if I'm lucky I'll receive it by tomorrow and should get it by March 9th by the latest.

Is it normal for international shipping to take over a month? (I guess it would be if it's being placed on a ship) Too bad there was no expedited option to get it in a week. (I've been spoiled with Amazon Prime free 2-day shipping lol)

Comments

• -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I've ordered stuff like that. It has usually taken stuff at least three weeks, sometimes longer, so I wouldn't be too worried.

I'm actually shocked that they can ship stuff all the way from China for as cheap as they do.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    -Foxer- wrote: »
    I've ordered stuff like that. It has usually taken stuff at least three weeks, sometimes longer, so I wouldn't be too worried.

I'm actually shocked that they can ship stuff all the way from China for as cheap as they do.

I was surprised that standard shipping was only $6.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, for a couple years now I have been bypassing the middle man on a lot of purchases. Big business wants to outsource my job, I outsource them.

But yes, I ordered piles of cables for my CCNP, took about a month. Cost $2. Go figure.
    -Daniel
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I get cheap stuff from China all the time. Recently I bought 3 canvas paintings, cables, adapters and a GPS antenna. It may take a while but it always arrives, at least in my case.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One Word: Customs.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I purchased a pair of titanium glasses from Zennioptical.com which was manufactured in China. It only took a week to arrive which was kind of surprising. When I buy books from fishpond.com.au, they take over 2x weeks.

The great part was they only cost $30 instead of $400 like it would in the shop. Even the optometrist would take a week to make up the lens.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've ordered stuff from China and it usually took a long time.
    I also had a sister who lived in Beijing (sp?) for several years. Stuff she shipped us never arrived and stuff we shipped her would, if she got it, be missing items and be opened (supposedly for inspection)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I purchased a pair of titanium glasses from Zennioptical.com which was manufactured in China. It only took a week to arrive which was kind of surprising.

The great part was they only cost $30 instead of $400 like it would in the shop. Even the optometrist would take a week to make up the lens.
    +1 to this. I have placed a couple of orders with Zenni and both have arrived in around a week.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One Word: Customs.

Yeah. I've had stuff held up in customs for weeks for no explicable reason.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    I work for a company that imports all its product from China. Trust me, Chinese New Year can seriously delay just about everything. Then it has to go through customs.

Good times.

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Customs don't need a reason.

They can arrest you and try you in the same day. I believe it's the only US orginzation like that.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    My latest order from China arrived yesterday. 2 PCI RS232 cards (serial ports) for $0.99 each. Took around 3 weeks to get here. The sender marked the customs paperwork "gift", presumably to save money.

I just ordered a bag of 50 8P8C connectors from China and won't expect them here till mid March. Anything sooner is a pleasant surprise....especially since I paid $1.00 for the whole bag. Lowe's wants $25 for a bag of 50 8P8Cs.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.