Does Labsim or Transender have training videos along w/ p exams and flash cards?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am looking for some video training, however I want to make sure that the DVD or download is an actual instructor going through the material and even better yet, some smiulation labs.

After reading a few of the sites it sounds like it just test questions and flash cards. I am actually looking for a video book essentially.

I am trying to get one for Linux + and Server +

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Labsim has an instructor (like in a class room) plus he shows you how to do stuff where you see it done on a computer screen then you do stuff (simulations) then you get "factsheets" (like notes)and it has practice tests. Transcender has practice tests and flashcards. Trinsignal just has instructor talking while you watch a computer screen.
    I recommend Labsim but I haven't seen their Linux+ or Server+. I've used it for Net+, Sec+, 83-640, 70-643, and 70-647. It's what helped me FINALLY pass the 70-643.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    Labsim has an instructor (like in a class room) plus he shows you how to do stuff where you see it done on a computer screen then you do stuff (simulations) then you get "factsheets" (like notes)and it has practice tests. Transcender has practice tests and flashcards. Trinsignal just has instructor talking while you watch a computer screen.
    I recommend Labsim but I haven't seen their Linux+ or Server+. I've used it for Net+, Sec+, 83-640, 70-643, and 70-647. It's what helped me FINALLY pass the 70-643.

Weed you know I respect your opinion on these matters. Labsim it is.

***Hopefully it's not a lot more expensive.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Weed you know I respect your opinion on these matters. Labsim it is.

***Hopefully it's not a lot more expensive.

Well hate to burst your bubble on that one....It's pretty expensive. If you can get your employer to pay for it so much the better. It's really useful though, I used it for Net+ and A+ and am going through the CCNA stuff preparing for CCENT. Highly useful and works out well for those of us with short attention spans, it changes things up pretty regularly to keep you engaged.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    love labsim it has been a huge help to me with my certs
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Well hate to burst your bubble on that one....It's pretty expensive. If you can get your employer to pay for it so much the better. It's really useful though, I used it for Net+ and A+ and am going through the CCNA stuff preparing for CCENT. Highly useful and works out well for those of us with short attention spans, it changes things up pretty regularly to keep you engaged.

How much are we talking?
    Hypntick wrote: »
    If you have an EDU email address then you can get a student discount. They don't advertise it so you have toask customer service. Hopefully they still do it.
    Linux+ $495 LabSim Linux+ Powered by LPI Training

They don't have a Server+ course
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    If you have an EDU email address then you can get a student discount. They don't advertise it so you have toask customer service. Hopefully they still do it.
    Linux+ $495 LabSim Linux+ Powered by LPI Training

They don't have a Server+ course

I'll probably go with transcender at first with server and then go with Labsim with Linux +
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

+1
    I love Lab Sim. The instructor speaks to you and makes it feel like you are right there in the class room. I have tried other video CBT products and I can honestly say that Lab sim is the only product that I believe could replace a book. My favorite part is that I can see the instructor talking on the screen. I will put closed captioning on so that I can also see the words on the screen for better understanding of the material and it makes it easier to take notes. You get info sheets for each section that you can put into Onenote, and you can print these off for further study. Another feature I love is the progress bar because it helps me set goals when studying for my certification. I don’t think I would have passed my A+ or Network+ without Lib Sim.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    400+ dollars for one module is outragous!

I guess you all really bring in the cash!
    WGU supplies them but I had to pay for the 83-640. I got an educational discount and I paid less than $100.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

Well if you actually get their pack which includes everything, it drops the price considerably. Still not a small bit of change but more managable.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know trainsignal will package their videos with transcender, but you are still paying like $400 per exam.

Another route would be the cbt nuggets (which run from $200-$300 per exam) with a Transcender ($130?). But you are still in that $300-$400 range.

Getting certified is expensive.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I know trainsignal will package their videos with transcender, but you are still paying like $400 per exam.

Another route would be the cbt nuggets (which run from $200-$300 per exam) with a Transcender ($130?). But you are still in that $300-$400 range.

Getting certified is expensive.

Man you aren't joking
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT, if I were you mate I wouldnt cough out that kinda money on a compTIA cert. If I had to, I'd spend it on something more advanced like CCIP/MCITP or something like that. I'd suggest googling for free tests. Just a couple of me cents that's all.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

I got the Lab Sim videos via student discount. So each video costs $100.00 or less. I still believe it’s the best product out there. My school used their videos to supplement the lack of labs/ hands on experience we could do to at school. Now I have to pay full price for the videos, because I graduated in December 2010. The only way I can swing it for the Windows 7 cert is because we got a profit sharing bonus at work. I’m thinking about buying the Testout/Lab Sim library when I get my taxes back though. I agree certifications are really expensive, but if you’re not staying current you’re falling behind. That and in IT there is always some better and willing to do more for less, so I believe it’s good to stay current and update your skills. I pasted some link below that may help.

This link compares train signal and CBT Nuggets:
    TrainSignal Vs CBT Nuggets CCNA Video Training | Networks Training

You can make you on flash cards at:
    Flash cards, vocabulary memorization, and study games | Quizlet

OR

Flashcards: The world's largest online library of printable flash cards <-Let’s you print flash cards

Good luck and happy studying

PS-If you’re looking for deals, then checkout Prep logic because they always have some sort of deal or sale going on. I must warn you though that they will hassle you to buy more of their products.

Another tip: Most holidays certification tests and products go on sale, so be on the watch for that.

President’s day has lead to a sale at Ucertify
    MCSE, SCJP, CCNA, PMP, CompTIA, A+, Network+, OCP, Security+, Practice Test -uCertify

The next holiday is memorial day, and I think there will be certification prep material sales on that day too.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    I got the Lab Sim videos via student discount. So each video costs $100.00 or less. I still believe it’s the best product out there. My school used their videos to supplement the lack of labs/ hands on experience we could do to at school. Now I have to pay full price for the videos, because I graduated in December 2010. The only way I can swing it for the Windows 7 cert is because we got a profit sharing bonus at work. I’m thinking about buying the Testout/Lab Sim library when I get my taxes back though. I agree certifications are really expensive, but if you’re not staying current you’re falling behind. That and in IT there is always some better and willing to do more for less, so I believe it’s good to stay current and update your skills. I pasted some link below that may help.

This link compares train signal and CBT Nuggets:
    TrainSignal Vs CBT Nuggets CCNA Video Training | Networks Training

You can make you on flash cards at:
    Flash cards, vocabulary memorization, and study games | Quizlet

OR

Flashcards: The world's largest online library of printable flash cards <-Let’s you print flash cards

Good luck and happy studying

PS-If you’re looking for deals, then checkout Prep logic because they always have some sort of deal or sale going on. I must warn you though that they will hassle you to buy more of their products.

Another tip: Most holidays certification tests and products go on sale, so be on the watch for that.

President’s day has lead to a sale at Ucertify
    MCSE, SCJP, CCNA, PMP, CompTIA, A+, Network+, OCP, Security+, Practice Test -uCertify

The next holiday is memorial day, and I think there will be certification prep material sales on that day too.

Ucertify was under 100 USD. What do you think about their product for server +?

Like Ess said if I am going to drop 400+ I am going to do it for a vendor specific mid level certification, not a high overview beginner certification, even though honestly with server technology that is where I should start.
    Ucertify was under 100 USD. What do you think about their product for server +?

Like Ess said if I am going to drop 400+ I am going to do it for a vendor specific mid level certification, not a high overview beginner certification, even though honestly with server technology that is where I should start.

I never used their product for Server+, but I did use to for the Network+ exam as an extra practice exam. They ask some tough questions and they offer more questions and are often a little cheaper than Transcender. The questions were pretty tough hand made me think a little instead of just clicking on an answer. My favorite practice exam company is Measure Up, they helped me prepare and pass all my comp tia exams. You can see Measure Up MCSE, A+ and CCNA Certification Practice Exams, MCSE Training, Online Courses and Assessments :: MeasureUp

I don’t know what ess meant by looking for free tests.
    I’m trying to get a help desk job currently, so I’m not sure how valid my opinion will be.
    I currently work in printing but, if I wanted to learn server I would go after the MCITP Enterprise Administrator exam. Someday I do want to learn server.

Windows Server Certification | Microsoft Server exam list | Microsoft Certified Professional

Also, I would look at getting a 4 year degree and a CCNA since most of the system admin jobs I have seen have these requirements. This is only my opinion though. I believe you have the 4 year degree ,so you’re half way there. Personally, I would skips the Server+, but this is only my opinion.

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    Validates your ability to design Windows Server infrastructures; evaluate and recommend new technology solutions; serve as an escalation point for infrastructure issues; develop client and server best practices for other teams, such as engineering, development, and operations; keep policy current for authentication, identity, and access management; provide guidance in implementing security policies that affect the infrastructure on multiple levels; participate in application reviews on security; and ensure that the applications adhere to standard security guidelines and practices.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor