LinkedIn IPO

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
I'm not one for posting news stories, but this one is probably significant:

LinkedIn eyes $175 mln IPO; investors eye financials | Reuters

This will be one of many social media IPOs over the next 1-2 years. Significant amounts of money are there to be made.

MS

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is much better than Facebook, IMO. I might take my parltry Lending Club earnings and buy me some LinkedIn and just hold it indefinitely. Shoot, I just found one of my pledge brothers from my fraternity on LinkedIn and haven't spoken to the guy in years. I'm sure he's on Facebook, but I wouldn't sign up there if you paid me.

I believe LinkedIn could be the next (90s) Yahoo. You're not going to see some ridiculous numbers like Facebook in terms of valuation.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I might take my parltry Lending Club earnings and buy me some LinkedIn and just hold it indefinitely.

I'll get in on this as well, but it will be in the form of calls while it's on the way up, and puts when it begins to fall. I don't really see an indefinite upside stream there, but I do see a more secure revenue stream and less volatility than Facebook.

All of my direct equity ownership goes into QQQQ and DIA these days, selling calls monthly on those holdings (which isn't really "direct" per se). I don't have the stomach or the attention span for trading a bunch different equities like back in the 90's. Occasionally I'll venture into another ETF, but not often. With everything going on at the moment, it might not be a bad idea to jump into something oil and gas related.

Made an absolute fortune on this one from late 1998 - mid 2000: Aware, Inc. Stock Chart | AWRE Interactive Chart - Yahoo! Finance

They had patents and an implementation of G.Lite DSL, which at the time was a big deal.

SUNW was good to me back in the day too....

MS
  • westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see LinkedIn as a WAY more valuable concept than FB.

I'm amazed there is no centralization of job search on the internet. So many sites to cruise to look for job postings. No one has really cornered the market by being innovative at all.

I think LinkedIn - especially with IPO money - could become a centralized location for that platform.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    westward wrote: »
    I see LinkedIn as a WAY more valuable concept than FB.

Put it this way....

I'm on LinkedIn, with a souped up profile.

I am not on Facebook, nor will I be (ever). I'm sure I'm not the only one.
  • westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently saw a chart of the most loved and hated web/tech companies - out of those companies in our everyday lives, such as GOOG, AAPL, MS, etc..

Facebook was the most hated company.

Other polls showed FB is actually hated as much as airlines by customers.

The most visited website on earth has the lowest "customer" satisfaction.

There's something sociologically wrong with that!
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Put it this way....

I'm on LinkedIn, with a souped up profile.

I am not on Facebook, nor will I be (ever). I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Yup, this exactly.