Technet subscription questions

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Does anyone know if there are any student discount codes for technet right now?

If I get a technet subscription can I claim it as a deduction on my taxes?
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    If you don't itemize and if you do and your itemization is not more than the standard deduction, it's not worth the effort. If you're looking for a discount, do a search online for technet subscription discount. There are links to codes that are active.

*Note: The tax information I gave is from a question similar to one I asked my accountant and that was his answer. Please consult a CPA so the information is first hand. I'm not a CPA but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I noticed when going over the product list that Windows Server 2008 R2 is listed as Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter, Enterprise, Standard, and Web.
    Does anyone know if all the editions are licensed with the standard subscription?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I noticed when going over the product list that Windows Server 2008 R2 is listed as Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter, Enterprise, Standard, and Web.
    Does anyone know if all the editions are licensed with the standard subscription?
    TechNet Subscription Standard will provide you access to the entire stack of Desktop software from Microsoft, which you can use for evaluation and testing purposes to help you stay current and recreate customer issues. TechNet Standard does not include enterprise editions of Microsoft software.

No, Professional gives you all editions, and ALL the Microsoft products.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Resurrecting this thread a bit, but does anyone know of any current active discount codes for technet? I found the 15 month for the price of 12 months code, but I'd rather than one that reduces the upfront cost.

I've done several google searches and I'm not finding anything current, but it's entirely possible that I'm overlooking something obvious. Thanks in advance.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Google for the Microsoft IT Pro Momentum program. This is a free membership which comes with a free full technet subscription. I am not sure if it is still possible to get in, but worth some research. You won't be able to just signup though. You need to find a blog where someone from Microsoft invites people. This normally involves sending a short email explaining why you want to participate etc.

Have a search here in the forums as well. Has been discussed multiple times.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□

Yeah, I mentioned that in my post, it's 3 free months. That's actually available from the subscription website itself.

Thanks for the info on the IT Pro program, Gomjaba. I'll look into it. I know there have been multiple discussions regarding technet discounts, but everything I've found to date on an actual discount of the upfront fee has expired.

If I find anything, I'll post here later. Thanks all.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anyone who wouldn't mind spending the money on a retail copy of W7 might as well get a tech net sub anyway - same price (nearly anyway) - better value icon_wink.gif
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p