Why does only VLAN1 Appear in IP INT BRIEF

FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
I have a switch, I have created an extra vlan and assigned it a name. I have also assigned it a switch port or two.

When I do sh ip int brief I only see the vlan1 interface aswell as the normal interfaces.

Do the other ones not show up?

Thanks for help.:)

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Did you create an SVI (VLAN interface) for the new VLAN? If not, there isn't anything to show in an interface brief.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    I think i'm getting ahead of myself.

Nothing in my CCNA books relate to this.

VLAN 1 interface is just for managing the switch and the other SVI's would be for Layer 3 switching, Correct me if i'm wrong?
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Futura wrote: »
    I think i'm getting ahead of myself.

Nothing in my CCNA books relate to this.

VLAN 1 interface is just for managing the switch and the other SVI's would be for Layer 3 switching, Correct me if i'm wrong?
    VLAN1 is the DEFAULT management VLAN. It doesn't have to be THE management VLAN.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • hasitha257hasitha257 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As networker mentioned you have to define a SVI interface for the VLAN if you want that interface to show up in "show ip interface brief"

If you want to see the VLANs assigned on that switch , run this command " show vlan "

Edit:

switch(config)#interface vlan <vlan ID >
    Switch(config-if) # ip add x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    thanks for all the info guys.

Although I need to do a:

'show vlan-switch'

To get all the info of which ports are assigned to which vlans.

Now I have 2 vlans on two subnets.
    :D
    I'm learning,
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What IOS version is that?

You can't do "show vlan brief"?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What model switch is this? An access layer switch can only have one active SVI to be used for management. You can define them all you want, but only one will work.

Now, if you have a multi-layer switch you can define a ton of SVIs, but I'd be willing to be that is not the case here. You probably have a 2950 that will not do what you are trying to do.

Let us know so we can be of more help.
    Its a actually a 800 series router/switch that i have hidden in my drawer at work and connected to my pc via serial for that extra bit of practice when the boss aint looking.

Show Vlan says

No Vlans Configured !!!

I have a lab at home with 3550's & 2950's so i'll probably try setting a vlan config up on them.

Thanks