Advice: CCNA needed for windows admin -> Infosec?

-Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
I'm not sure where to put this exactly, but I guess this is a good enough place.

I'm currently a (mainly) windows system admin and I'm working on the MS:ISA degree at WGU. They're changing the program, and I have the chance to take the CCNA if I want.

I'm just trying to decide if it would be advantageous to me or not. I don't really have any experience with Cisco at all, and I don't see myself using the knowledge much. I'm sure that if I did get it I wouldn't renew it in 3 years.

I'd like to move into an InfoSec position somewhere, and here's my question: Will having the CCNA help me? Or will it not really matter?

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    -Foxer- wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to put this exactly, but I guess this is a good enough place.

I'm currently a (mainly) windows system admin and I'm working on the MS:ISA degree at WGU. They're changing the program, and I have the chance to take the CCNA if I want.

I'm just trying to decide if it would be advantageous to me or not. I don't really have any experience with Cisco at all, and I don't see myself using the knowledge much. I'm sure that if I did get it I wouldn't renew it in 3 years.

I'd like to move into an InfoSec position somewhere, and here's my question: Will having the CCNA help me? Or will it not really matter?

All of our systems guys here are required to have CCNA level knowledge at a min. We get projects that they will just be installing the server infrastructure and sometimes it requires more switches. We would rather have then be able to setup basic VLAN's and routing to the routers than to have us involved and have to come out on site and cost the customer more money.

It can only make you better.

my 2cents
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    shodown wrote: »
    It can only make you better.

Agree with this. Another thing, with virtualization coming on strong there is a need for admins to at least understand VLANs, trunking, etherchannel etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    i wish i had started cisco years ago. imho, any sys admin or serious tech should look at it. i cant believe i didnt. fwiw.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Also agree. A well-rounded security admin should know at least the basics of all aspect of networking, OS, virtualization, web apps, DR, laws and regulation and a zillion other things. I know a few "security pros" that wouldn't now what a smart serial cable is if it hit'em on the face.