1 - Cisco 4000 Router with 2-Ethernet, 4-Serial Ports, 1 Token ring
1 - Cisco 1924 Series Enterprise Switch

Plus:
1 - Cisco Octal Cable
8 - Cisco serial cables
3 - Ati Centrecom 210Ts Transceiver
3 - IBM 8228 Multistation Access Unit Hubs
several token ring, ethernet, power cables, etc

Is it worth it? At the moment I only have one 2950. icon_sad.gif I'm working on my CCENT.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BobbyDC wrote: »
    1 - Cisco 2511 Router with 1-Ethernet, 4-Serial Ports
    A 2511 is worth more than $50 on its own -- except it has the 2 connectors for the octal cables (to be used as a terminal server) and only has 2 serial ports.

The 4000 can be used as a frame switch.

If the other 2500's have 16/16 memory and the transceivers, then they are good for the basic CCNA routing -- but you'll still need to add something like a 1721 (or 1760) or 2600XM to do SDM and Router-On-A-Stick.

It's fun to plug in a 1900 switch to a network and watch it become root bridge, but other than that it's just something to plug your Ethernet cables into (like for OSPF DR/BDR elections) until you get your "real" switches for the Switching part of the CCNA. Out of the 3 switches that are useful for the CCNA, the 1924 would make a good 4th or 5th switch. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    mikej412 wrote: »
    A 2511 is worth more than $50 on its own -- except it has the 2 connectors for the octal cables (to be used as a terminal server) and only has 2 serial ports.

Yeah what he said! Those sell for 50 a pop on ebay. Unless it's a 2511-RJ console server, then they sell for 200-300 a pop on ebay, in which case I'm lucky I grabbed 2 out of the e-waste bins at work.

Your 2502 and 2504 will work fine for CCNA level stuff. You can upgrade them to 12.3 so you should have most of the functionality, but this is also dependant on how much memory you have in them.

You will need more than 1 switch though for CCNA. And the 1924-EN sucks, and can only run CatOS which is outdated and not even covered in the CCNA anymore since like CCNAv1 which I took back in the day.

Overall I would say the lab is worth it from the routing side, and when your done you could easily get your 50 bucks back.

If your broke and cannot afford some 3550 switches, just get a couple 2924's or 2950's, it wont be layer 3 switches, but you'll get ALMOST all the funcitonality you need to study for cheap.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I say its a good deal. The 2511 is well worth it. The 2500's will get several of the concepts covered.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    BobbyDCBobbyDC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! I'll be picking it up later tonight. With this and the 2950 that I already have what should I look for? Maybe that 3550? My budget will be roughly 500-600 and I would like to get a rack with some of that. If I have cables all over and things stacked not-so-nicely my wife might kill me. lol
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Certainly pick up a 3550. Honestly I think Layer-3 switching should be at least mentioned or played with at the CCNA level. At the very least it's a skill you'll want to hone.

Snag a copy of network warrior while you at at it. Great book!
    -Daniel