New LAPTOP for GS3 please let me know your experiences

eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys, im currently in the process of buying a new laptop, the purpose of this is one is to be able to run GNS3.

Now i want to get a MAC Book Pro, i know i could probably get a dell lap or a desktop full equiped for the same price but i do want the MAC on so my two options are

Mac Book Pro 4gbRAM i7 2.7 processor with 5400hdd (320mb)

or

Mac Book Pro 4gbRam i5 2.3 Processor with 128 SSD

I have two friends with MAC books not the new one both one of them says the its better to get an SSD than a better processor like the i7, and probably get the 8RAM memory what do you think, does the SSD really beats the i7 processor?
"Almost..... is as good as Nothing"

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I run in on a mid 2010 I5 with 4 gigs that I haven't had to many problems on. I haven't done any massive designs either. but it works.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    personally id get the faster processor because a hard drive can be upgraded alot easier on a laptop than a processor

after you break the laptop in you can get a 64 gig ssd and install the os and use the old one in a usb enclosure for storage
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Dynamips is all about processor speed and memory. More processor than memory in my experience. Ghostios and sparsemem make memory usage stay relatively low assuming you are using the same router/ios for several devices in the same lab.

In the 18 router BGP lab i put together, with all 7200s I would get like 4.5GB of memory usage and max processor at certains times (like when loading all the devices in the beginning).

I'd say Processor>RAM>hard drive space.
  • eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    I run in on a mid 2010 I5 with 4 gigs that I haven't had to many problems on. I haven't done any massive designs either. but it works.

So how many routers have u used with any problems??
    personally id get the faster processor because a hard drive can be upgraded alot easier on a laptop than a processor

after you break the laptop in you can get a 64 gig ssd and install the os and use the old one in a usb enclosure for storage

But upgrade an HD on a MAC with their support so i dont lose guaratee?? i never owned a mac so i dont know, with normal laptops i would agree with you
    Heero wrote: »
    Dynamips is all about processor speed and memory. More processor than memory in my experience. Ghostios and sparsemem make memory usage stay relatively low assuming you are using the same router/ios for several devices in the same lab.

In the 18 router BGP lab i put together, with all 7200s I would get like 4.5GB of memory usage and max processor at certains times (like when loading all the devices in the beginning).

I'd say Processor>RAM>hard drive space.

im planning on running arround 10-12 routers probably 7200, what processor you have?
    Thanks to all for shariing your experience, i wanna get the best out of my money
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    not sure but you could always take it to an apple store and have them upgrade it for a fee if it keeps the warranty, chances are they cant upgrade the processor
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    eduromer wrote: »
    So how many routers have u used with any problems??

I have done 8-10 thats the max I have needed. I'm sure I could have done more
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Thank you all for your input, :D