Want to buy switches for lab but curious about IOS

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Before I make the purchase of switches (2950) in this case on Ebay, should I already have access to IOS or should that be something the seller provides? Because as it stands I dont have access to it. I mean, what if I want to practice reinstalling IOS or switching versions?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Make sure that the switch comes with an IOS on it. You can back it up off of flash.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Purchase away. Its better to get switches with older IOS so you can upgrade them. All you need is to register at Cisco.com with the basic guest level access. I did it last week and succesfully downloaded the latest IOS for my 2950s. I believe router downloads are the ones that are restrcted and require smartnet.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I forgot about that. Thanks! By back up, you mean to some TFTP server right? I'm hoping these have IOS on them. There is no mention of it in the ad on Ebay. Waiting for seller to respond. Err... 8mb of flash memory? is that alright???
    Yes, you can TFTP images to and from the switch. Don’t worry about the flash/RAM too much on the switches. They are fixed configurations and not upgradable. The 2950 is an excellent switch to start off with.

As for IOS access, I would register with Cisco.com and see if the IOS images are available for your switch sooner rather than later. Cisco is in the middle of changing up how they handle download access and the days of no SMARTnet access for switches may (or may not) change at some point soon.
  • NCITNCIT Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also relatively new to IT and would like to know if I am looking in the wrong area on Cisco's website as I tried to go get the IOS and download it and was unable to. I am looking on EBAY at a 2950 and it has an old IOS but I can't or am unable to download it as a basic member. The link I am trying to get into is below. I just don't want to spend the $$ on a switch if I am unable to upgrade the IOS. Thanks!!

Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches - Support - Cisco Systems
    Just bought 2 2950 switches as well as a rollover cable. I also had to purchase an RS-232 - USB adapter. Can't wait!!!

Can anyone suggest a router for CCNA lab?
  • lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    As for IOS access, I would register with Cisco.com and see if the IOS images are available for your switch sooner rather than later. Cisco is in the middle of changing up how they handle download access and the days of no SMARTnet access for switches may (or may not) change at some point soon.

While you may be able to download IOS for switches without a SMARTnet contract in place, it is not necessarily a good idea to do so. If you try to download a switch IOS image you will have to agree to the following terms:
    Software Download Rules - Please Read Carefully

By clicking "Agree" below, you agree to each of the following:

1. That you shall be bound by Cisco's End User Software License Agreement posted at the above URL regarding your use of any Cisco software you download from this web site;

2. That you are only entitled to download Cisco software for the Cisco hardware chassis or device or the particular application software or signature file for which you have paid the applicable software license fees;

3. That you must purchase a Cisco Operating system Software feature set upgrade license if the feature set you intend to download is not included in your initial license;

4. That you have a current and valid service contract that covers either the specific Cisco hardware chassis or device for which you are downloading software and/or the software image or subscription file update (e.g., For Intrusion Detection System) that you are downloading;

5. That Cisco reserves the right to: (a) charge you for, and you agree to pay for, software /signature file downloads to which you are not entitled, and (b) immediately suspend or terminate your access to this web site if you Download software to which you are not so entitled.

So, if you download IOS images for which you do not have a license and/or SMARTnet contract, you could find yourself on the receiving end of an invoice from Cisco for many $$ which you have already agreed to pay!
    Yeah, that’s the official statement. Chances are they aren’t going to bother you end of life equipment though. Heck, I have a ton of SMRTnets associated with me for new gear and most of the time the devices don’t even show up with my CCO login (when they should) so I’ve been seeing that message for years :)
    Lets say they did send an invoice for a 2950 IOS. How much would it cost? And how much do you pay for "SMARTNET"?
  • FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    Also think about how many people sign up to Cisco.com, Download IOS for switches but use fake details?

Also, I could only download IP Base for my switch.

I don't think its possible to download enhanced images without that contract in place.

One of my 3550's although has the newest IOS will only do IP Base functions