Should I be concerned if my community college doesn't have a hardware or A+ class?

heideggerheidegger Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
My major is systems support/help desk. The community college only offers operating systems classes and networking classes. I'm afraid employers will think I don't have enough hardware training.

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's fine, you can always get the A+ on your own.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's a little odd that a school that offers a major in systems support and helpdesk doesn't offer A+ classes. However, there's nothing stopping you from self-studying and either taking the cert or simply obtaining the hardware knowledge.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes, most colleges suck.

But more importantly you need to focus on the self teaching skills. IT at the end of the day is a hack through it sort of thing and the sooner you develop those skills the better.
    -Daniel
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Nah, you're better off learning it yourself anyways. Not worth paying for a class like that when you probably already know 75% of the material assuming you've ever build a computer for yourself. Just get a used book.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would just self-study and go for it as others have mentioned. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The answer your question, yes I would be concerned.

However, like everyone else has said, I would self study A+ on my own.

Do they offer a Windows 7 class for 70-680?
  • heideggerheidegger Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes they offer a Windows 7 administration class. Also, Microsoft Office is a part of the program.
  • heideggerheidegger Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also, I read only A+ certified people can do warranty work on the inside of a computer. Does that mean that employers favor people with A+ over people with no A+ because of that for IT jobs like help desk and desktop support? I'd imagine a lot of these types of jobs involve working on the inside of the computer or at least require knowledge about it.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I wouldn't be too worried about it (it is pretty weird though).. As long as you stay on track and learn the stuff they teach (and maybe pick up a few certs along the way, especially if you are starting out in IT) you should be ok. A+ you can always go back for, just don't let it hinder your current studies.

Replacing hardware happens, no where near as often as you will need to work on software related problems.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS